PDA

View Full Version : Slave or master cylinder?

RossObey01
25-04-2016, 12:07 PM
I've been having some issues with my Focus clutch pedal, it's still within warranty so popped into Ford who said they couldn't do anything because they can't find the problem. I don't doubt that, because it's only having issues after a few hours on motorway driving, not something they can replicate.

I got home and had a quick Google, loads of people experiencing the same issue - the trend seems to be a leaking slave cylinder getting air into the system and causing a spongy peddle, or one that doesn't return at all.

So I speak to the service manager at Ford, explain the (common) problem and he agrees to change the slave cylinder. I dropped the car off today and they say "Ah yes, the Focus in for a master cylinder". No I said, we agreed the slave cylinder would be changed, as it's more likely to be the issue. The guy on the service desk replies, "Well, master cylinder, slave cylinder, same thing. Just depends which way you look at it".

They're changing the cylinder above the pedal, which I've always known to be the master cylinder. Am I missing something here or are they as clueless as I'm thinking? :freak:

slob
25-04-2016, 12:27 PM
no, you're right.
the master cylinder generates pressure based on your pedal input, the slave turns it back into movement at the clutch end.

Darren69
25-04-2016, 12:30 PM
the phrase arse and elbow springs to mind! :)

utopia
25-04-2016, 12:58 PM
The clue's in the name.
The Master applies the pressure and the slave responds.
But if you get hold of them quick they probably wont have fitted the wrong one yet ... too busy sitting around on their elbows.

RossObey01
25-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Ford clearly do employ monkeys, but unfortunately it still has to go there until the warranty runs out. I've tried calling the service manager again, who's probably getting fed up of me now, but no answer... If I didn't have a 600 mile round trip to get home I'd rather see them waste their time and change both cylinders.

Dirty
26-04-2016, 10:49 AM
Wait til they've swapped the master, then phone and tell them they've done the wrong one, get 2 for the price of 1 :)

RossObey01
26-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Oh I intend to, but I need to drive home this weekend and don't fancy breaking down on the M5. Still no phone call from the service manager.

RossObey01
28-04-2016, 09:46 AM
Surprise surprise, I picked up the car yesterday afternoon on the way home from work - 20 mins into a 5 hour drive and it clearly hadn't been fixed. The guy on the service desk still didn't have a clue which was which, slave or master. They'd changed the master, despite saying they'd change the slave.

BLUNT
28-04-2016, 11:19 AM
Isn't the slave cylinder inside the clutch housing on Focus? I first came across this feature on a Freelander TD4 and it meant removing gearbox to replace slave - crap design.

RossObey01
28-04-2016, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure - but that would explain why they're not too keen on replacing it.

BLUNT
28-04-2016, 11:44 AM
If slave is inside clutch housing and has leaked badly it may be a good idea to check the clutch plate.