PDA

View Full Version : Newfren Clutch Plates

FLATTOP
18-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Hi has any one experienced any problems finding Neutral when fitting these plates.

I have changed my old plates for these it all went back as it's supposed to spring plate the correct way round and pressure plate on correct position on slotted post and all cleaned and no steels warped but an absolute sod to get into neutral.

I put my old ones back in to see if the new ones were causing the problem and they are it was selecting neutral no problems (engine running).

My original problem was plates were quite worn and one of the clutch pads had fallen off I replaced this one with a new one and it seems fine with six old ones and one new one.

It seems that it doesn't like the new stack height is it just a case of waiting for it to bed in, your experiences would be appreciated.

Shuffy
18-04-2016, 12:41 PM
I had these on my old S2R 1000 and had the same problem when I first fitted them. I suspected the stack was slightly too high, so to get around it, I took all the plates out and just took the surface off each side of the new friction plates by rubbing them over some 800 grit paper on a piece of glass (to keep them flat). I only lightly rubbed them until the material colour was even and flat (so don't go mad!). I suspect the production tolerances aren't so accurate for these, and this seemed to do the trick. Hope that helps.

Dukedesmo
18-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Set the stack height under 38mm or neutral is harder to engage whether Newfren or not, especially if you have a 'reduced effort' (bigger) slave cylinder. You may need some thinner plain plates to adjust the thickness, I don't bother with the 'dished' plain plates just make things worse IMO.

It will get easier to engage as it wears.

I have Newfren plates in my Monster, work well enough and no worse, or better for finding neutral than others.

FLATTOP
18-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Shuffy,Dukedesmo thanks for the replies what you've said does seem to confirm my initial thoughts that the stack was too high, I think I will just rub the friction plates lightly when I get a chance, I have a nice piece of glass to place them on to get a consistent wear across the plate.

Amazing though how just a few millimetre can have such an effect.

Dukedesmo
18-04-2016, 01:35 PM
Personally, I wouldn't prematurely wear a plate down. Rather fit a thinner plain plate or even leave a plate out if it's really thick.

There is the lithium grease trick that supposedly helps in certain circumstances but I leave my dry clutches dry...

FLATTOP
18-04-2016, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=Dukedesmo;526365]Personally, I wouldn't prematurely wear a plate down. Rather fit a thinner plain plate or even leave a plate out if it's really thick.

So if I removed one of the two plates at the bottom of the stack engine side you reckon that should be ok I believe by doing that would lose me 2mm, as I have no thinner plates to hand.

Dukedesmo
18-04-2016, 01:53 PM
So if I removed one of the two plates at the bottom of the stack engine side you reckon that should be ok I believe by doing that would lose me 2mm, as I have no thinner plates to hand.

As long as the overall height is about right, yes but be careful it doesn't go too low or the clutch will slip (neutral will be easier to find though).

My 916 has an extra friction plate in the pack that I got in by fitting just one plain at the bottom and then shuffling some 2mm and 1.5mm plain plates, overall pack thickness about 37.5mm IIRC, been like that for a few years without any bother.

FLATTOP
18-04-2016, 02:00 PM
I will shuffle them about to get the right height thanks for your help.

Shuffy
18-04-2016, 02:06 PM
With mine it was more of the case of just taking the high spots off so they were flat and even all over (as I say don't go mad!). Once it did that they all went in fine without a problem.

Dirty
18-04-2016, 03:35 PM
Personally, I wouldn't prematurely wear a plate down. Rather fit a thinner plain plate or even leave a plate out if it's really thick.

There is the lithium grease trick that supposedly helps in certain circumstances but I leave my dry clutches dry...

Yeah, I've tried wet dry clutches and they don't work well! :)