PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cut Out ?????

steviej
26-02-2004, 09:18 PM
My Monstro's been sat in the garage for about 10 weeks; yes I know it's criminal !!, I've just had the battery on a two day tickle charge, connected it up and the engine turns & turns & turns & turns. I checked the HT lead to the back cylinder & there is a spark. It sounds like it's being starved of fuel but the tank's about 3/4 full.

Anybody got any ideas????

Thanks in advance

CK & AK
26-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Try the easy & cheapest option - change the fuel if it is unleaded,(not if its super, as lasts longer).
Try the plugs to see if they are flooded (wet), if so, change your fuel.
If not, look further - obviously clean plugs (if flooded change them)

post back.....

crust
26-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by steviej
My Monstro's been sat in the garage for about 10 weeks; yes I know it's criminal !!, I've just had the battery on a two day tickle charge, connected it up and the engine turns & turns & turns & turns. I checked the HT lead to the back cylinder & there is a spark. It sounds like it's being starved of fuel but the tank's about 3/4 full.

Anybody got any ideas????

Thanks in advance

Modern unleaded dosent keep very well, plus any condensation will be sitting in the bottom of the tank or your fuel filter.

Is it a carbed bike or an injection?

suggest binning the fuel and try fresh juice

:) Crust

crust
26-02-2004, 09:27 PM
:(

beaten to it, must do more finger exercises

Billy Bigwheels
26-02-2004, 09:29 PM
I've heard that's never been a workout missing from your daily routine Crust

Billy Bigwheels
26-02-2004, 09:29 PM
Bloody hell is that the time - I'm late for work!!!

crust
26-02-2004, 09:30 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D

;) Crust

CK & AK
26-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Carl - go to work then m8!:D :D

Me - I'm just off for a lie in!!!!

C
xx

Billy Bigwheels
26-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Spooky............... Noticed the site clock was wrong posted a stupid remark and the time is now correct.

Dunno what the web boys have done but now we've got AI - impressive

Billy Bigwheels
26-02-2004, 09:33 PM
Thought you'd be warming that new bike of yours up CK. Any mods yet??

CK & AK
26-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Not yet Carl - owing to various reasons over the last month, I have only managed to do just over 100 miles - wasted or what?!!!?

C:(

steviej
26-02-2004, 09:42 PM
Bl**dy hell. Thats quick.

It's gonna be Wednesday before I can have a look at it. But Thanks

Crust, It's not injected................

Billy Bigwheels
26-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Criminal CK. Mind you i've only done about 500 on mine this month. Supposed to be taking my RoSPA next month so I must brave the salt soon - trouble is i've too much work on this weekend to get out but planning a few rides during next week.
Gonna try to spin out to Snowdonia soon, I just love that Llanberis pass road.

grunter
26-02-2004, 09:49 PM
line is not blocked & that vacuum pipes have not been damaged or bent over they can also become soft and pull in when the engine is cranked?
yours
grunt

ps prop up tank and try starting it?

Billy Bigwheels
26-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Sorry stevieJ - been waffling over your problem - hope you get it sorted.

crust
26-02-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by steviej
Bl**dy hell. Thats quick.

It's gonna be Wednesday before I can have a look at it. But Thanks

Crust, It's not injected................

aha, may just be condensation dragged down into the float bowl.

if you look at the bottom of the carb float bowl on each side should be drain screws. These can be little swines if they've not been out for a while/ever.

I would drain the carbs and some, mug full, then give it a try. After that if it still hasnt started, I'd have a look and see if the plug is wet. If it is and you've got a spark I'd drain the fuel.

just a thought, is the fuel turned on? Some have an on/off tap on the left hand side below the side panel. Dont sweat if you cant see it they didn't fit them to all bikes.

steviej
02-03-2004, 12:14 PM
:D :D :D :D :burnout: :burnout:

HERE WE GO HERE WE GO
HERE WE GO

And we're off.:burnout:

Thanx to you all.

Just changed the fuel. Stupid f*%kin' stuff

PaulS
02-03-2004, 12:41 PM
I've been having problems starting my bike recently since I switched from using Shell Optimax to ordinary unleaded to save money. I think I'll go back to Optimax as it seems to cope with the infrequent use my bike gets at this time of year.