PDA

View Full Version : Info on alternative battery trays wanted.

utopia
11-04-2016, 11:01 AM
I'm in the process of fitting a lithium battery.
I may make my own battery tray eventually but that will tie in with other wiring and carburation mods at a later date.
For now, I just want to install the battery temporarily for a few months.
My bike had the liquid-acid 16AL-A2 battery which sat in a tray which is one integral moulding with the airbox.
I know that later, injection bikes had separate airboxes and battery trays, and also used the smaller, AGM type battery.
Does anyone have any photos of how this assembly works, particularly the battery tray and its support ?
I'm just wondering if I can use or adapt a std battery tray and/or support bracket from a later model.
Or even if its worth changing the entire airbox to the injection type.

FCR carbs are planned for later but I'm veering towards retaining an airbox rather than going for pod filters when I eventually fit them.

slob
11-04-2016, 11:14 AM
http://www.thelasturl.net/img/620battery1.jpg

attaches to the rear inlet rocket cover

damien666
11-04-2016, 12:04 PM
I used a shorai battery on mine. I had to use the dense foam supplied with the battery to pack the spare space, due to smaller dimensions of the shorai.

utopia
11-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Thanks, Rob.
That's cleared things up a little.

In retrospect, my idea of swapping to the later, separate airbox is probably a non-starter because the business end connects to injection throttle bodies, not carbs. :dunce:
Unless there was an interim model that I don't know about.

Tbh, I'd quite like to use the original battery box and use the spare space as somewhere to keep my toolkit ... cos my Corbin seat has no toolbox.
The "problem" is .. how to make it an easy install without need for extending any battery cables ?
This is complicated by the terminals on my Marelli battery being the other way round.

But I've had a bit of a jiggle, and made a new ally baseplate, added some dense foam and I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
The toolkit will probably be housed in an insert made from rectangular plastic ducting left over from ventilating my bathroom .. to keep it away from any terminals.
That's mass centralisation, that is. :cool: