PDA

View Full Version : Brembo clutch refurb kit

Dennis menace
06-04-2016, 06:24 PM
A word of caution. I bought a Brembo clutch master cylinder re-furb kit from those good folks at Moto Rapido for less than £20. No problem there. However, unless I got it horribly wrong, the kit was difficult to fit and I ripped the new dust boot. I put it down to the design. Unlike most Brembo master cylinders this one does not have a circlip to hold things in place, it has what looks like a slim plumber's olive that is an interference fit in a groove. Also, there seems to be nothing to hold the piston in place against the force of the new spring until the cylinder is re-fitted with the clutch lever and 'pill' that depresses the piston. In my case finding something that is an interference fit to push against the olive and keep the piston in place also broke the dust boot against the piston. If I had a tube of "exactly" the right outer diameter it might have worked but it is too deep for a socket so I used a box spanner. Despite the ripped dust boot the new seal has worked. BTW the Brembo instructions were useless and didn't even correspond to my master cylinder despite the parts being correct.

TimM900
07-05-2016, 10:21 PM
Thanks- useful info maybe. What was wrong with your clutch beforehand? Mine (M900) has a fair bit of almost free play and all the engagement too near the bar, despite being thoroughly bled.

Watching it with the cap off the m/cyl, during the first bit of movement- about 1/3rd of the lever travel, fluid is being pushed back up into the reservoir. So I'm rather suspicious of the master cylinder seals...

Nottsbiker
08-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Apparently there is a Brembo tool for installing the whole lot in one go. I believe it is like a hollow punch.

Once that boot is out there is no way of getting it back in.

Strangely the brake has a circlip but no rebuild kit