PDA

View Full Version : Maxton Forks

Flip
03-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Nothing to do with me and they look like they could do with a clean up but with the machining work already done they would only take a bit of investigation and possibly correct weight springs and a service by Maxton for them to sort out your suspension at about half what it would cost from scratch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-600SS-750SS-900SS-93-98-MONSTER-FRONT-FORKS-WITH-MAXTON-INTERNALS-/152026132504?hash=item236576b018:g:gN8AAOSwdU1W8pB s

utopia
03-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Nice one, Flip.
If those had the same 65mm caliper bolt spacing as mine I would have nabbed them immediately, but they look narrower.
I would also need a different front mudguard, I think.

Flip
03-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Yes correct- they do look like they are for the earlier bikes with 40mm caliper spacings and 17mm axle along with fixed mud guard mounts as opposed to the later bikes' plastic clip type.

Goofle
09-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Hi,

I've just whipped the front axle out of my Monstro, it's 17mm across the top of the thread peaks, 20mm across the part which passes through the wheel and 25mm on the cap socket end. The caliper bolts are 40mm spaced, as are the mudguard bolts. Does anyone think these would be suitable?

Thanks!

Flip
10-04-2016, 01:17 AM
Hi,

I've just whipped the front axle out of my Monstro, it's 17mm across the top of the thread peaks, 20mm across the part which passes through the wheel and 25mm on the cap socket end. The caliper bolts are 40mm spaced, as are the mudguard bolts. Does anyone think these would be suitable?

Thanks!

Yes they will fit if it is a pre 1999 Monster you have?... what work they will require to get perfect for you will need to be investigated but shouldn't be too bad and Maxton will be more than happy to help.

Goofle
10-04-2016, 07:15 AM
if it is a pre 1999 Monster you have?

It's a 93 Monster. I was checking as I know it had a knock before I got it (much before!) and was a little worried how original the work done on the rebuilding had been.

Thanks Flip!

Flip
10-04-2016, 09:55 AM
Well the later bikes forks are different diameters where the yokes clamp them so unless the person who did the rebuild had the originals machined/shimmed to accept later forks etc. they would still be to the original dimensions.

The front wheel and brake calipers etc. would also had to have been changed for the later forks.

I see the listing has ended, did you get them?
I'm surprised they weren't snapped up sooner to be honest.

Properly sorted suspension is easily the best mod someone can do to their bike but I guess as it is relatively expensive (and doesn't make a whole lot of noise) it's usually not something many go for, but once you ride with it you'll understand.

Goofle
13-04-2016, 06:52 PM
I see the listing has ended, did you get them?
I'm surprised they weren't snapped up sooner to be honest.

I did indeed get them. I'm just wondering if I'd be wise to ship them straight on Maxton when I get them for servicing or to try them first.
I've just ordered a rear shock absorber too, which is being built up and hopefully I'll fit in due course. (Im stuck for a way of lifting the rear up though. I'm not sure the rafters in the garage would be up to a Monster hanging from them)
I agree that decent suspension is a massive plus for a bike. I spent a little time and money getting my 1198 set up for me and it made a huge difference. I'm not sure if it's due to the age of my Monster or if it's normal, but I have found it too firm at the front (they had a full professional rebuild only a few hundred miles previously however) and rather soft and wallowing at the rear. I reckon the rear could be the original shock absorber though!
Time will tell!

Flip
13-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Great Stuff!!!

Personally I would get them home to see if you think they need any cosmetic work doing (I had the tubes re-anodised while Maxton were doing the conversion on mine) to tidy them up on the outside.

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/Maxton_zps7d90c0ba.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/Maxton_zps7d90c0ba.jpg.html)

As for lifting the rear to fit a new shock, I put the bike on a rear paddock stand, removed the rear wheel then attached tie-down straps from a step ladder to the frame and removed the stand to un-load the shock for removal/replacement- simples!!

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/IMG_3925_zpsebxudjth.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/IMG_3925_zpsebxudjth.jpg.html)

P.S. if Maxton are making you the new rear shock it is worth being a little cheeky to Richard and asking for a bit of a discount on the fork service- especially if you need new springs and bushes etc.

Goofle
13-04-2016, 08:05 PM
It's not a Maxton rear shock unfortunately! The eBay description says the forks have only done a thousand miles since the forks were reworked so I'm inclined to give them a shot anyhow in the bike and see what they feel like. I'm hoping they'll be delivered before Saturday so I can fit them and try them this weekend. I'm not going to be able to get out on the bike after then until mid July (work, not jail!) so I'm hoping they'll turn up!

Goofle
13-04-2016, 08:10 PM
Ps I like the step ladder idea!

Flip
13-04-2016, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure if it's due to the age of my Monster or if it's normal, but I have found it too firm at the front (they had a full professional rebuild only a few hundred miles previously however) and rather soft and wallowing at the rear. I reckon the rear could be the original shock absorber though!
Time will tell!

The problem with standard forks is there is too much compression damping making them feel harsh and kick off small bumps in the road along with not enough rebound damping which means when you let go of the brake the forks spring back at you and the bike does not turn into the corner as well as it should, this also causes the bike to run wide out of a corner (raising the rear via the rose joints on the suspension hoop also helps it hold a line and turn in better).

In addition to all that, for most riders' weight (like most Ducati's) the standard springs are simply too hard.

Richard (at Maxton) told me that the biggest improvement you'll feel is from increasing the rebound damping to control the forks extension, reducing the compression damping over small bumps to stop the forks kicking off small bumps and increasing it over large movements giving more support with the spring.

The result was like a totally different bike- I wish I had done it years ago!!!

It's not a Maxton rear shock unfortunately!

What have you gone for?

I have run a Nitron rear on mine for a little over ten years now and it's been great.

Goofle
13-04-2016, 09:32 PM
What have you gone for?

It's a Wilburs. I spoke to the company at lunch to check the model / year and use, and they said a 10mm longer version was recommended (and been approved for the German market) to help cure the snags that early Monsters had when new. I'll find out in due course...

Flip
13-06-2016, 04:46 PM
Hey Mr Goofle,

What did you decide on doing with the Maxton forks?

Anything to report yet?

You know how we all like to hear suspension tales!!

Goofle
17-06-2016, 04:03 PM
Hey Mr Goofle,

What did you decide on doing with the Maxton forks?

Anything to report yet?

You know how we all like to hear suspension tales!!

The Maxton forks have been fitted, and (as far as I'm aware) the rear shock absorber is back at home awaiting fitting. With a little luck I'm going to be home in about a month when Ill get busy with the spanners and I'll be back to say how my beloved M900 now outhandles a RGV....

(Or maybe not!)

Goofle
18-07-2016, 10:11 PM
Hi Mr. Flip and others!

A quick update, rather late.
The forks are now fitted sweetly, matched by a 10mm longer Wilburs shock. The difference is noticeable. The rear seems much tighter, and as the rear is a tad higher the bike seems easier to tip in to corners too, seeming lighter on its feet. There is a bit of a tendency for the front to get a bit twitchy, not a full on tank slapper but just a warning occasionally when 'pressing on'. Having seen close up the state of the old shock I'm not surprised it was struggling to be honest, it looks buggered! I'm considering sending the forks away back to Maxton in Autumn / Winter for a service, and to get them set up for me and my use. I'm not saying they need this, it's just a piece of mind thing more than anything.
I'm off to South Wales this weekend on a loners trip (one man and his Ducati!), and am now wondering if I'd prefer to take the newly refreshed Monstro instead of the previously planned 1198!
If anyone is around the Llandovery / Llandeilo area Saturday (weather permitting) and fancies showing me the best roads then give me a shout!

Goofle.

utopia
19-07-2016, 09:23 AM
The slight twitchiness is probably down to the 10mm longer rear shock, which will have raised the rear by an indeterminate amount, according to the geometry of the rocker linkage.
Raising the front by the same amount will restore the steering characteristics to their former state ...but without before and after measurements of the rear height, its a guessing game as to exactly how much.
I like my bike to be just on the edge of twitchiness, but only just.
It sounds like you have it nearly right now, but maybe the front could be raised just a tad.
I would try maybe up to a 5mm raise if you feel like experimenting (the effect of anything less may be difficult to detect).

I would also check the wheel alignment too.
The reason I say this is that I recently misaligned my rear wheel by half a turn on the adjuster on one side .. as a result of the wheel being in and out half a dozen times.
I noticed a speed weave after that, at 95mph and above.
Investigation showed the wheel misalignment and readjustment took away the speed weave.
I was surprised that such a minor misalignment produced a noticeable effect tbh, but that's what I found.
So it might be worth eliminating any possibility there before fine tuning the steering geometry.

Flip
19-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Excellent news!! Glad you are pleased with them along with the rest of your suspension changes.

Like Jeff (Utopia) I also like my bike to feel a little twitchy when being pushed giving it a feeling of being alive making it an involving ride.

But with the Maxton internals it no longer kicks off bumps or feels harsh in doing so, in fact I can ride it faster down my favourite rather bumpy country road before I think 'that's enough' and it is always predictable in it's twitchiness and only when properly pressing on. The rest of the time it is a magic carpet ride compared to how it was before and now I have fixed the steering bearings and lifted the rear a little more to compensate for the slow steering Michelin Pilots I fitted last year it is just about spot on.

Goofle
06-01-2017, 09:08 PM
In what is possibly the longest winded thread which I keep reviving, the forks are now winging their way back to Maxton for a service and setting up for my particular use. The plan of beating that Dovizioso chap rumbles on!
More to follow!

Goofle
08-10-2017, 10:55 AM
Am I allowed to revive this thread with an update?

I've now had a summer hooning about on my Monster, and covered quite a few miles. I must say the the fork and shock upgrades have been well worth it. I now find it a brilliant road bike, with enough power to enjoy but not too much to be constantly on edge. Saying that I can't remember many times when I've wished for any more!
I did a thousand mile trip round Scotland on it a couple of months ago, and found the experience great. It seems as if some of the roads were designed for a M900, starting with the A68 from Darlington....
I'm still thinking about lowering the gearing but found it ok for when I have to ride on motorways and dual carriageway work.

Flip
08-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Am I allowed to revive this thread with an update?

I now find it a brilliant road bike, with enough power to enjoy but not too much to be constantly on edge.

Yes absolutely you're allowed!!

Glad to hear you are reaping the rewards of the sorted suspension.

I completely echo your sentiments on how good a road bike the 900 can be (or any of the early bikes really) once the suspension is sorted so the (quite modest by modern standards) power can be exploited to the full making it such a fun ride.

Again, I too have covered quite a few miles since I did a general refresh on my bike and had the Nitron shock serviced and re-sprung (put on a few pounds since I bought it) along with having the forks reworked by Maxton and to be honest I wish I had done them ages ago such was the transformation.

Goofle
08-10-2017, 11:14 PM
Ive got a 2016 Panigale as well as a Yamaha RD250, and I'm many ways I enjoy riding the Monster and RD most. It seems to me that the power is more accessible, the frame easier to push towards the edge. I feel when I'm "pressing on" on the Monster that there's more fun at far lower speeds, and that I'm riding the bike harder - eg closer to its limits - than at much faster speeds on the Panigale.
Don't get me wrong, the Panigale is a much better bike by all measurable standards and 205 bhp doesn't get boring. I'm just back from a trip to the Nurburgring, and it was unbelievable on the roads in the area. I took a Street Triple out for a test ride and found it was brilliant - too much so. I preferred the ride of the Monster, it had more character, I feel more involved with the journey.
Anyhow, how to improve the Monster next. That's the question for winter....

350TSS
09-10-2017, 08:03 AM
A man with a Panigale, an RD250 and an M900- I am truly jealous. I have never and am never likely to ride a Panigale and can only imagine what 200+ bhp is like - probably too much for me but it does not stop me wondering.