PDA

View Full Version : Wide swing arm

Willthedub
30-03-2016, 12:27 PM
To cut a long story short(er), I have an after market rear wheel that is slightly wider than the original 695 2007 wheel that came on the bike, I have recently seen other thread about wider standard swing arms and wondered if there was one that took a wider wheel for the 695 or similar model? I'm guessing the wheel is only around 5mm wider. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Darkness
30-03-2016, 01:43 PM
The standard back wheel on the m695 is 17x4.5. The contemporary m900 had a similar looking 17x5.5, so 5mm shouldn't cause too much of a problem.

On the m900, wider than standard wheels and tyres can give problems with chain alignment.

Darren69
30-03-2016, 01:44 PM
Will one from an S4 or 1000ie fit? I think they ran wider rear wheels than the smaller bikes and had alloy swing arms too! :)

slob
30-03-2016, 01:50 PM
Yes, S4/1000 swinger should be the same so a 5" rim would be no problem.
The alloy swingarm from a 1000S is the same as the one on a 620S. The 695 is just an evolution of the 620 which was available in S (alloy) and non-S/Dark (steel)
Pretty sure the chain alignment is taken care of by turning the sprocket round, so the boss is on the inside

Willthedub
30-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Great, thanks for the info, good to know I can solve this problem without having to mod anything. And a alloy swinger

Slob wouldn't turning the sprocket around to compensate put stress on the shaft bearings? And also would I need a longer rear axle?

slob
30-03-2016, 02:43 PM
The axles are slightly different (steel to ally) but of you're using the original swingarm with a wider wheel, no change required. If you change to an ally swinger too, you'll *probably* want the matching hardware to go with it.

utopia
30-03-2016, 03:32 PM
At first sight it would seem that turning the sprocket round would put more leverage, and hence more load, on the gearbox bearing.
However, although the actual sprocket section moves across, the splined hub section stays essentially in the same position, so the drive is transmitted via the same interface on the shaft, if you see what I mean.
I'm not sure if this totally eliminates the extra leverage or just reduces it a bit, but I think it will at least go part way to doing so .....???
And anyway, the bigger monsters have the sprocket that way round so the bearing is probably designed to cope.

Note, the above is just how it seems to me ... its not guaranteed to be correct.

Note also that, as far as I know, the hub sections of both narrow and wide wheels are the same width, its only the rim that's wider.
And, although the ally swingarm uses wider section spars, and thus requires a longer spindle, the distance between the inner faces of the spars is the same for both steel and ally swingarms (240mm to be precise) ... at least mine are.
I think Dukedesmo may have an unusually wide swinger on his bike but that is something of an exception.

Willthedub
30-03-2016, 04:26 PM
Yeah I totally get it, turning the sprocket around would act the same as it would still be part of the same unit if you know what I mean? Basically I've had some kineo wheels made for my bike kineo have never made them for that model before, I ordered them and they took 6 months to be made and delivered. Last summer I went to fit them only to find the hub is wider than my original wheel, because I've messed around for so long and they took so long to be made I'm kind of stuck with them. I have managed to shave down the rear calliper hanger enough to make the wheel fit but now obviously the wheel and chain are out of line so my next approach was to get a custom swing arm made to sort it all out, since then I have come across other threads informing me that other monsters came with wider hubs so I'm guessing and hoping with the wider swing arm fitted the chain and wheel will be inline. I can't see how or why kineo would have made the hub larger unless they copied measurements from another monster with the same spec swing arm?

Darren69
30-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Have to spoke to Pompone on here? I think he is an agent for Kineo and sells them on DPP. Might be worth a shot if they're the wrong hub size, they ain't gonna fit a standard monster.

Willthedub
30-03-2016, 06:12 PM
Thanks, if all else fails I'll go down that route!