PDA

View Full Version : Heated grips

SteveK
28-03-2016, 10:42 PM
Heated grips for my evo - what's good, what's not? All advice very welcome.

Nottsbiker
29-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Had Oxford Sport grips on my last Tuono and I could never get both grips to run at the same temperature. Always suspected it was down to the handlebar acting as a heat sink for the left hand grip where as the right was isolated by the throttle tube and got warmer as a result. Could have just been a duff grip though.

willber
29-03-2016, 01:23 PM
I've got oxford sports grips on my s2r, no issues with differing temperature although I have read other reports of that happening. They are the newer type with 'intelligent controller' which avoids a flat battery if you forget to turn them off. I managed quite a neat install and mounted the controller in the middle of the handlebars, funnily enough the controller is exactly the same width as the gap in the bar riser so looks pretty neat, certainly better than hanging off near the clutch lever.

Ursa
29-03-2016, 07:48 PM
I have Motopart grips on Edna, fitted by the previous owner (on the advice of Metropolis....) and they are pointless. They go from either "are these actually switched on" to "ouch my gloves smell like bacon" with no inbetween. Avoid!

Darren69
29-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Good winter gloves is what you need. Fitting heating and extra current draw to a Ducati is only asking for trouble IMHO as the charging isn't briliiant to begin with. it may be better on alater bike like an evo but early bikes no, Sure if you've got a beemer or goldwing then go for it, get a heated suit, cigar lighter etc.

MrsC_772
29-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Like Willber, I've got the Oxford grips with intelligent controller on my M696, and Andy has them on his M695. Had mine for several years and I ride (including commuting) all year round.

The intelligent controller not-flattening-your-battery feature clearly works, as when I've been stuck at the Addlestone level crossing for several minutes in the morning (multiple trains), and turned the engine off, the little green blinky light has started flashing and the grips turn off.

I dare say in the depths of winter heated gloves might keep the backs of my hands toastier, but then I'd have to make a conscious decision to wear heated gloves on any particular day.

I've found myself using heated grips (on the middle setting of the 5 heat settings) even in summer (i.e. days when you'd never bother with heated gloves) when it rains - warm damp hands are nowhere near as grim as cold wet hands.