PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Zumo 660

MarkF
28-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Before I go about reinventing the wheel I am looking at mounting solutions for my Sat nav on an 821.

I have the means with a Ram handlebar mount, short arm and ball attached to the rear of the cradle.

I have a BMW navigator IV with the mount and wiring for the BMW which was too much money for me to let go with my previous bike. I have worked out that I can probably just get a plug for the accessory socket on the Monster and wire up the live and earth wires from the BMW mount.

But the Ram mount approach is not very tidy looking, so any mount solutions available, ideally a bar across the handle bar clamp to lock onto would be brilliant.

As its a new bike I will be discussing the electrical connection with my dealer to avoid fault codes popping up.

Papa
28-03-2016, 08:02 PM
re electrical connection.
There's an unused fused block connector under the left hand side of the tank on the 1200 ( assume it's the same on 821 ). Mount a waterproof USB/Accessory socket from that and connect Sat Nav as and when needed.

MarkF
29-03-2016, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the tip Papa, I saw that and think it is the accessory block, would like a 12v and USB connection too for charging the mobile phone in the tank bag.

rollo22
29-03-2016, 05:32 AM
You could try one of these on the handle bar clamp

1" BALL MOTORCYCLE BASE WITH HOLE AND M8 SCREW
Part Number: RAM-B-367
1" Ball Motorcycle Base with Hole and M8 Screw
EnlargePrice:
£13.20

MarkF
29-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Hi Rollo,

Thanks for that, I already have all the RAM stuff just seeing if there was a more permanent/secure mount available, you can get them for the multistrada but haven't seen any for the monster.

I will just go with running an accessory/USB socket up near the dash and make it a temporary fit.

AndyC_772
29-03-2016, 09:05 PM
The 660 draws next to no current, so you can connect it to a permanent +12V supply if you like. You don't really need to find an ignition switched feed.

Two of the four pins on the CAN bus connector (the dealer's diagnostic connector) under the seat are +12V and ground, and that's where I've got my 660 connected on my Diavel. I just bought the matching plug, and ran a cable from the space under the seat to the sat nav mount. No splicing into the bike's wiring needed :)

MarkF
30-03-2016, 07:54 AM
Cheers Andy,

Looking at using the accessory socket at the front left under the tank, I can route wires with the existing loom to the handle bars and mount a socket so I can remove the cradle as I cannot find a hard mount solution for the cradle ATM. Also will allow me to charge the phone in my Tank bag.

MarkF
03-04-2016, 09:00 AM
The 660 draws next to no current, so you can connect it to a permanent +12V supply if you like. You don't really need to find an ignition switched feed.

Two of the four pins on the CAN bus connector (the dealer's diagnostic connector) under the seat are +12V and ground, and that's where I've got my 660 connected on my Diavel. I just bought the matching plug, and ran a cable from the space under the seat to the sat nav mount. No splicing into the bike's wiring needed :)

It seems the guys at the dealers either do not know or have mixed info, I have now been told the only place to connect is an unused alarm plug under the tank, but you cannot buy the plug so have to splice in???

Andy I have a socket under the seat like you but it is in the manual as a battery charger plug? Is the same one you are talking about? Where did you source the plug for it? I am not worried about the GPS/USB socket being permanent live, i never leave anything on the bikes plugged in.

AndyC_772
03-04-2016, 06:24 PM
The connector under the seat has 4 pins. Two are the CAN bus, which is used by the diagnostics equipment, and the other two are a permanent +12V connection to the battery. The official Ducati charger connects here, but there's no reason why you can't also use it to draw a modest current to run accessories like sat nav or intercoms.

The plug is RS part number 673-7789 (FCI 211PL042S0011), and the contacts that go with it are 673-7862. The plug is out of stock at RS right now, but it's available from Mouser:
Housing:
http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Delphi-Connection-Systems/211PL042S0011/?qs=HumNWfwekiGi%2fm%252b6TKSg%2fw%3d%3d

Pins:
http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Delphi-Connection-Systems/211CL2S2160/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduibMevNU%2fWpd02eiaAvtEhMd8Wyn35p5B kavb6wh0ijwg%3d%3d

MarkF
04-04-2016, 05:20 AM
Brill, thanks Andy, my searching has also lead to an optimate accessory which has a USB socket and plugs into either this socket or the SAE socket my dealer fitted for charging with an optimate.

http://accumate.co.uk/o-101.htm

So another option for me to ponder as I only have about 18 inches of cable from my GPS mount to play with.