PDA

View Full Version : Monster 1200s Rear Tyre

GioGio
21-03-2016, 12:24 AM
Hello,
time to change the rear tyre on my Monster, ahead of a long European trip.
Whilst I do appreciate the choice of a tyre is dependant on the driver's style and feeling with the bike, what are your suggestions out there?
Shall I go for the 190/55 ZR17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso II which comes as a default, and which I found quite good for me, or another one? Someone suggested to get a harder one (Michelin?) which would last longer (I did about 5000 miles with my Pirelli which I believe it's a fair amount for a rear tyre?)

Also, has someone tried the 190/55 ZR17 Pirelli Diablo Rosso III yet?

Lastly, suggestions for the front tyre? asking in advance this time! :)

Thanks All,
Gio

slob
21-03-2016, 07:16 AM
I get through (roughly) one front to every two rears, so my personal choice would be to go with the same rear this time and change the pair next time, especially as you get on with the current setup.

grin factor
21-03-2016, 10:58 AM
Got to agree with the above statement, makes sense to me.

J.P
21-03-2016, 11:25 AM
The Diable Rosso III is an improvement on the Rosso II, I'd go for that.

alan s4
21-03-2016, 01:09 PM
The harder Michelin in question is probably the "Pilot Road 4" - superb tyres and excellent in all weather conditions. Need to swapped as a pair though as the profile is likely to be different to your more sporty Pirelli's. They have a more rounded profile and are slower to turn in........not to everyone's taste, however I like them.

mholc123
25-03-2016, 09:00 PM
Yes - I fitted Pilot 4's to my 1200 - an excellent choice, they stick to the road like sh17 toa blanket.

Stinger101
26-03-2016, 09:10 AM
My OE Rosso 2 lasted less than 3000 but that had 2 track day sessions. Not days, just 2 sessions. I probably ride a bit harder than some and the Pirelli rear was fantastic. My issue was the slightly vague front feeling and slow steering. I've put on Michelin Pilot Power 3's and they really suit me and the bike. I can't find fault on road or the one track session they've done. Cold temp feel is great and has sharpened the steering a lot. Made the long fast sweepers more secure for me. In summary, I'm a huge fan of these. ��