PDA

View Full Version : Swing arm swop.

Birdy
19-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Ever since my mate purchased his 2000 900s i.e. Ive been a little envious of his nice shiny ali swing arm, so will an ali swinger fit on my 2001 900 dark i.e.? And what parts, apart from the swinger assembly do I need to purchase/change?

Albie
19-03-2016, 11:49 AM
Should be relatively straight swap. It will only be minor bits if at all. I think the end caps will be the same. Now a single sider is only slightly more complicated but doable all the same. Been there done that one.

Birdy
19-03-2016, 12:12 PM
Should be relatively straight swap. It will only be minor bits if at all. I think the end caps will be the same. Now a single sider is only slightly more complicated but doable all the same. Been there done that one.

Thats what I was Hoping... Love the Blog.

Albie
19-03-2016, 12:16 PM
Utopia has an alloy one too fit on a m750 and I believe Dirty changed his on a m600 with success but that has a narrower wheel.

utopia
19-03-2016, 12:58 PM
I'm in the process of doing this to my 750 at the moment.
As long as the new swinger is from a hoop type rear end, it will fit (to the best of my knowledge).
Of these there are two types which differ only by the hugger mountings .. some have flush riv-nuts, others have raised lugs. Take your pick.
In either case you'll need a new hugger.
Because the section of the main ally spars is wider, you'll need a slightly longer wheel spindle (though internal dimensions are the same between the spars so the wheels themselves are interchangeable).
You will also need swingarm end caps, side plates and chain adjuster blocks to suit the ally swinger.
At the other end, the swingarm spindles are interchangeable as far as I know, so you can use your old one.
Its worth factoring in some time to change the swingarm spindle bearings while you're at it cos the seals may well have leaked and caused corrosion to the needle roller bearings. I mention this because they are a pig to remove and could well be the main sticking point (if you'll excuse the pun).
And you may need to re-shim the end-float, but that's simple/cheap enough.

I will be putting up a detailed thread on the whole subject once I've finished mine (I'm currently at 3 bearings out, 1 to go).
Note that there is not a lot of weight saving to be made, but there is a little .. I'll know exactly how much once I've done a bit more weighing and comparing but its probably around 500g all in.
If you can find one for under £100 its cheap ... I got a £30 wonder-deal but mostly they're around £150.

utopia
19-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Utopia has an alloy one to fit on a m750 ......

Do you still have those end caps and chain adjusters spare, Albie ?
I'm at that point now.
And do you still need the piece making for the exhaust clamp ? ...I'm hoping to get some lathe time next week.

Albie
19-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Do you still have those end caps and chain adjusters spare, Albie ?
I'm at that point now.
And do you still need the piece making for the exhaust clamp ? ...I'm hoping to get some lathe time next week.

Yes I do sir. And yes I do with maybe 4 spacers needed for a fairing mount in alloy or stainless.

utopia
19-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Excellent.
Let me know the spacer dims when you have a final plan worked out.
Sorry for hijack.

Also, re. the swingarm spindle ... I'm pretty sure its the same one for both steel and ally swingers (Moto Rapido confirmed) but I'm not using my old one cos I had one shagged needle bearing and it had taken the spindle with it, so I'm fitting a new one anyway.

...4 bearings removed now. :cool:

Dukedesmo
19-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Excellent.

Also, re. the swingarm spindle ... I'm pretty sure its the same one for both steel and ally swingers (Moto Rapido confirmed) but I'm not using my old one cos I had one shagged needle bearing and it had taken the spindle with it, so I'm fitting a new one anyway.

I've got my swingarm off at the moment for repair/modification and I also have a swingarm spindle from a steel (M600) swingarm the spindle in the ally arm is 8mm longer (265mm).

http://ducatiforum.co.uk/data/photos/l/6/6698-1458408918-4aa739b9bd0b5babf5731a5a9d9be76e.jpg

utopia
19-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Well, the plot thickens.

Both my old spindle, from a steel swinger on a yr2000 M750, and my new one, supplied by Moto Rapido to fit my ally swinger (riv-nut type from M900, est 1996 ?) measure 264mm overall.
For the swingarms themselves, the distance between the inner faces of the pivot bosses is 176mm in both cases and likewise, across the outer faces of the bosses is the same, at 256mm.

I do remember you advising that a new spindle would be needed though, so I was surprised to find that I wouldn't have .... had mine not been shagged.

It sounds like maybe the M600 steel swinger is different to my M750 one then ?
Or maybe there was an overall design change at some point in time ?
Bizarrely, the one Moto Rapido sent is actually listed on the invoice as a 695 one .. code 36911172A.

Or maybe I'm missing something ?

Either way, it'll be fitted shortly .... or not.
But I'm confident, if a little puzzled.

Dukedesmo
19-03-2016, 08:53 PM
Don't know what has changed over the production? The longer spindle I have has a groove cut at each end, if fitted into the narrower steel arm this groove could accommodate a circlip to hold it in place, not sure if that was ever a feature?

As it is when in the ally arm it is flush and nicely fits a plastic/rubber end cap.

Either way if yours is 264mm then (unless your swinger is different) it should be good. :thumbsup:

utopia
19-03-2016, 08:57 PM
On closer inspection ... the shorter spindle in the photo has no circlip grooves.
I wouldn't mind betting that its overall length is the same as the length between the circlip grooves on the other one.
That is, they would both do the same job ... unless or until the clamp bolts came loose.

edit ...posted too soon and didn't see your last.

Does your ally swinger not use circlips on the spindle then ?
My 750 had them and I'm expecting the ally arm to be exactly the same ... the dims all match.

Dukedesmo
19-03-2016, 09:59 PM
No room for circlips, it is flush with the swingarm.

Maybe it should be longer?

Albie
19-03-2016, 11:31 PM
I thought the one with circling is the s2r one. Slightly longer as needs to poke out and has threads for foot rest mount brackets.

utopia
20-03-2016, 01:00 AM
I reckon your ally swingarm must be wider across the mounting bosses than mine then.
Yours is a braced one, isn't it ? Maybe they were different ?
Both my steel one and my ally one are basically the same ... 256mm max width, spindle 264mm long, leaving 4mm sticking out each side, just enough for a circlip groove etc.

Oh, and I meant to say earlier ...
I found, when looking around for an ally swingarm, that many showed quite a lot of galvanic corrosion damage from where the steel axle plates fit against the ally.
....a definite point to consider.
I was lucky in that mine came from a bike that had been a donor for a magazine special build, which gained a custom, "trellis" swingarm ... so mine just sat in a shed for 20 yrs.
(thanks again, Dave).

utopia
20-03-2016, 10:47 AM
According to my Haynes manual, the spindle with no circlip grooves is an earlier design.
They recommend changing to the later type, with circlips.
There are different plastic caps to match as well.

Dukedesmo
20-03-2016, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't mind betting that its overall length is the same as the length between the circlip grooves on the other one.

'Tis is indeed, 4mm from inner edge of grove to end of spindle so 8mm difference.

My swingarm is quite an early model because it did originally have the old style 'L' brackets to hold the hugger on although I cut these off and fitted the nutserts to suit the hugger that I already had, so maybe it is a bit wider than later versions?

In fact I'm not sure if the braced swingarm was originally a Monster piece or from an even earlier 851/888?

So, although I've got the circlip grooves in the spindle, they are hidden inside the arm, I did notice that the longer spindle fitted in the M600 swingarm (that I no longer have BTW) and leave the option of fitting the circlips, so maybe I've actually got an M600/750 circlip'd spindle in the wider arm?

Although I appreciate the belt n' braces approach of a circlip, I think it's highly unlikely that both bolts or indeed sides of the swingarm would fail that badly without other serious consequences.

Still, everyday's a school day... :)

slob
20-03-2016, 11:34 AM
...Bizarrely, the one Moto Rapido sent is actually listed on the invoice as a 695 one .. code 36911172A...

Not really bizarre, each model is an evolution of the last, even the latest 'stretta kettle monsters trace their roots back to a Pantah

Slightly off topic: My non-hoop dual sided ally swingarm (Sie models) has the same spindle/circlips as a single sider from S*R. I fitted an S2R spindle on my 1000 so I could use later rearsets that don't rely on mounting lugs on the frame. Both types also use pinch bolts that lock against the spindle with a locknut.
http://fs2.directupload.net/images/150514/o3zcyz3z.jpg
I think the hoop type arms use a normal allen screw pinchbolt and a threaded swingarm but not 100% sure.

utopia
20-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Ah, pinch bolts like cotter-pins.
That would explain the recesses in the clamping area on my new spindle.
I was wondering what they were for.
They're redundant on my bike as the hoop-type arms have tapped holes for the pinchbolts, as you say.

Dukedesmo
20-03-2016, 11:49 AM
I think the hoop type arms use a normal allen screw pinchbolt and a threaded swingarm but not 100% sure.

Mine certainly does and I do know of ally ones cracking in that area, in fact I sold my original non-braced swinger to an 888 owner whose swingarm had done just that.

utopia
21-03-2016, 01:25 AM
Aaaargh ... don't say that.
I've always looked at those bolts and thought that they were dangerously close to the edge.
They don't look so bad on the steel arm.
Up to now, I hadn't heard of any cracking ... though my info is pretty minimal anyway.
So ... its a funny old business and hardly an ideal design but I'm quite glad I've got the belt and the braces because I will be applying the bare minimum of torque to those bolts ... and feeling glad of the security added by the circlips.
:dizzy:

Mr Gazza
21-03-2016, 04:47 PM
My book says 37Nm +/-5% with grease B....I think that's Moly grease? but I can't find the legend for that.

slob
21-03-2016, 05:54 PM
Shell Retinax HDX2