PDA

View Full Version : 1997 generator

italianjob
18-03-2016, 06:33 AM
Anyone got a good one they don't need or can loan me ? Think mine's defective. 2 wire jobbie.

Darren69
18-03-2016, 07:04 AM
Have you checked that the stator hasn't come loose? They have a habit of doing that which then breaks the key and damages the crank in the process.

utopia
18-03-2016, 11:49 AM
I think Darren means the rotor, not the stator (keyed to the crankshaft).
I have heard that they have a habit of loosening but in the 10yrs or so that I've been a Ducati owner I've never come across one that has actually done so.
In that time I've heard of perhaps a couple of dozen actual cases of reg/rec failure.
My own bike has had such issues on two separate occasions, including once when the multiconnector was reduced to a charred blob of plastic and brass.
The alternator itself has been fine though (and still is) so hopefully you will be similarly fortunate.

Darren69
18-03-2016, 01:49 PM
Yes, my bad. I meant the spinning thingamabob with the wotsits and magnets of course that should be fixed to the crankshaft but can come loose, not the coils. My 748 had this issue and it was common enough for Ducati to amend the maintenance schedule to check it periodically but like the fuel filter this can often be overlooked.

Mark64
18-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Hi, I may have one for sale - send me your email & I'll send you some photos tomorrow.
Cheers - Mark

italianjob
18-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Have you checked that the stator hasn't come loose? They have a habit of doing that which then breaks the key and damages the crank in the process.
Let's try to keep thinking positive Darren..... :chuckle:

italianjob
18-03-2016, 04:37 PM
I think Darren means the rotor, not the stator (keyed to the crankshaft).
I have heard that they have a habit of loosening but in the 10yrs or so that I've been a Ducati owner I've never come across one that has actually done so.
In that time I've heard of perhaps a couple of dozen actual cases of reg/rec failure.
My own bike has had such issues on two separate occasions, including once when the multiconnector was reduced to a charred blob of plastic and brass.
The alternator itself has been fine though (and still is) so hopefully you will be similarly fortunate.
I've just changed the RR with a new Electroworld (?) one. The charging light now works and goes out when revved, but it's only putting out 12.6 volts when lightly revved, and when the lights are put on it drops to about 12.2, which is way better than the 11.7v it was dropping to before. I have now done a continuity check on the stator and it shows it down to ground when one lead on the yellow wire, and the other on the chassis with the multimeter.... Maybe just a bad wire inside the case hopefully. There can't be much else that can go wrong with this project, shirley......:on:

italianjob
18-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Hi, I may have one for sale - send me your email & I'll send you some photos tomorrow.
Cheers - Mark
You got mail....;)