PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Monster fuel system question

italianjob
07-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Hi. As some of you are aware, i'm trying to put a Monster (project) back to how the factory built it (mechanically). The vacuum fuel tap was missing and i've now found a new one.
The only manual i can find online is a 2000 + 750 manual. My question is , where does the vacuum line from the tap go to ? In the manual i have it shows it connected to the inlet manifold, but i cannot find the "take off" point in the manifold. Was the 97 model different in where it took the vacuum ? Any help would be appreciated.
I'm going to be asking more questions as time goes on, so pay attention...... ;)

SteveG
07-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Hi

Try this place .. Loads of manuals /parts diagrams http://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/index.php

Select language, Ducati, drop down model list ..

Flip
07-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Does it look like this:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/Fuel%20Lines_zpshxefgb29.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/Fuel%20Lines_zpshxefgb29.jpg.html)

italianjob
07-03-2016, 08:27 PM
Hi

Try this place .. Loads of manuals /parts diagrams http://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/index.php

Select language, Ducati, drop down model list ..Thanks Steve.
Thanks Steve. No 97 on there, but looking at the other years i'm just going to have to put a fitting in the outside of the manifold....

italianjob
07-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Does it look like this:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag329/fluke900/Fuel%20Lines_zpshxefgb29.jpg (http://s1372.photobucket.com/user/fluke900/media/Fuel%20Lines_zpshxefgb29.jpg.html)
Yes, i have that drawing, but mine doesn't seem to have the fitting in the front inside of the front inlet manifold for the vacuum line. It does have a blanking plug on the outside, so if push comes to shove......
The fuel pump has the vacuum take off in the rear inlet manifold as per the drawing.

DrD
07-03-2016, 08:37 PM
Is it on the other intake (and someone swapped them around)?

italianjob
07-03-2016, 08:41 PM
Is it on the other intake (and someone swapped them around)?Are they interchangeable ? Never thought of that TBH.
I'll have a look tomorrow if i get time. Other than that i'll drag it out of it's cage at the weekend.
This bike has been so abused it's unreal. But i'll get there steadily :drunk:

italianjob
07-03-2016, 08:46 PM
Well trying to post a photo clearly didn't work !.... Lol

Dukedesmo
07-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Is it on the other intake (and someone swapped them around)?

Indeed, amongst my collection of bits I have a pair of intake manifolds from an M600 and (IIRC) only one has a take-off point.

Otherwise the manifolds are identical and it wouldn't matter to which you connected.

italianjob
07-03-2016, 09:14 PM
Indeed, amongst my collection of bits I have a pair of intake manifolds from an M600 and (IIRC) only one has a take-off point.

Otherwise the manifolds are identical and it wouldn't matter to which you connected.Is it possible your manifolds are early Monster with a proper fuel tap ? Thanks for the info though Duke. I really need someone that has this setup on their bike to have a look and tell me where the vacuum pipe from the fuel valve is going to....:look:

Flip
07-03-2016, 09:30 PM
Just to be clear, are you talking about pipe no.7 from the petrol tap (which isn't a tap) part (No.4) or pipe No.9 from the fuel pump (No.16)?

My 900 is the same set up and so can have a look tomorrow and take photos for you.

utopia
07-03-2016, 10:47 PM
Dunno whether it helps but my yr2000 750 has the vac take-off for the fuel tap on the front manifold.
It is diametrically opposite the blanked take-off point for balancing the carbs.

Nasher
07-03-2016, 10:56 PM
This thread has sparked my interest.

I have a 97 M900 that a previous owner has fitted a high flow fuel tap to, which to be honest looks like one of the taps you connect a washing machine to in the house.

Going by this thread the bike would have originally been fitted with a vacuum tap, so I'm assuming whatever fitting there was for the pipe in an inlet manifold has been blanked off, but I can't say I've noticed one.
Judging by the standard of some of the other mods that I've had to redo or put right, I think I'd better check this as soon as I can.

Nasher.

italianjob
08-03-2016, 06:40 AM
Just to be clear, are you talking about pipe no.7 from the petrol tap (which isn't a tap) part (No.4) or pipe No.9 from the fuel pump (No.16)?

My 900 is the same set up and so can have a look tomorrow and take photos for you.
Numero 7. The diagram appears to be showing it going to the inside of the front manifold, but there is nothing there ? Photos would be good. Much appreciated.

italianjob
08-03-2016, 06:41 AM
Dunno whether it helps but my yr2000 750 has the vac take-off for the fuel tap on the front manifold.
It is diametrically opposite the blanked take-off point for balancing the carbs.I think this diagram is around 2000. I was just wondering if the earlier model had it somewhere else ????

italianjob
08-03-2016, 06:44 AM
This thread has sparked my interest.

I have a 97 M900 that a previous owner has fitted a high flow fuel tap to, which to be honest looks like one of the taps you connect a washing machine to in the house.

Going by this thread the bike would have originally been fitted with a vacuum tap, so I'm assuming whatever fitting there was for the pipe in an inlet manifold has been blanked off, but I can't say I've noticed one.
Judging by the standard of some of the other mods that I've had to redo or put right, I think I'd better check this as soon as I can.

Nasher.
I bought a genuine vacuum tap from a place in France off Ebay. Brand new, and £20 (?) + postage i think.

Nasher
08-03-2016, 12:04 PM
Thanks Italian Job

The aftermarket tap itself doesn’t leak or anything but I have considered putting a std one back on as it looks a bit cheap and nasty.

I’m more concerned about how the other end has been sealed off at the manifold.
Won’t get a chance to have a look until the weekend unfortunately.

Nasher

italianjob
08-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Well after all that, i think i've got to the root of the problem. The guy that removed the vacuum tap also removed the fitting in the inlet manifold and "pugged" the hole with araldite and painted over it. I'll confirm this by the weekend.
Oh well, another job to add to the list...... :- (

Darren69
08-03-2016, 04:41 PM
Well after all that, i think i've got to the root of the problem. The guy that removed the vacuum tap also removed the fitting in the inlet manifold and "pugged" the hole with araldite and painted over it. I'll confirm this by the weekend.
Oh well, another job to add to the list...... :- (

It amazes me the amount of people that bodge stuff like that when a blanking screw could be had for a few pence and would have been quicker to do once obtained. :fou:

italianjob
08-03-2016, 05:29 PM
It amazes me the amount of people that bodge stuff like that when a blanking screw could be had for a few pence and would have been quicker to do once obtained. :fou:
Well i've just looked with a mirror and torch and it looks like its never been drilled. But that could just be paint covering a good blending job. The easy option would be to take the screw out of the other side and just put a fitting in there, when i can find one......
There appears to be a vacuum sized pipe hanging down from between the carbs ? Could be a breather i guess ??? I'm going to strip the airbox off at the weekend (TBH it's not even bolted on properly) and fit new throttle cables and see what else isn't bolted down. It's a little worrying that this has 6 months MOT left and i rode it for a couple of miles , and am now finding several parts not secured correctly. Another job for the list, torque all the nuts and bolts.....:hissy:

Darren69
08-03-2016, 05:54 PM
The pipe hanging down could be the overflow from the float bowls or a breatther.

Have you tried Stein Dinse for parts? Their site is useful for a reference and part nos too as they have the parts diagrams available with pictures of most parts and part numbers too.

Darren69
08-03-2016, 05:59 PM
Useful bookmark:-

http://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/index.php?sid=ggg&lg=en

SteveG
08-03-2016, 06:07 PM
i posted that link earlier... Apparently not the right model listed??

Darren69
08-03-2016, 06:36 PM
I know they don't have diagrams for every year but those listed should be the same as other years, I'm thinking. That and a lot of parts are inter-changeable with M900-750 or SS models although the ss didn't have the vac pump tap thingy. Which from what I've read can be more trouble than its worth. It works, just but I can understand why most owners junk it and go for an on/off tap especially if the bike isn't used regularly. I've had bikes before with vac fuel taps and I'm not a fan, but at least on those bikes there was a tap which you could open to prime which meant fuel would flow regardless of the vac valve being open or not. I think that is what is missing on the monster set up.

italianjob
08-03-2016, 06:41 PM
i posted that link earlier... Apparently not the right model listed??
Yes, they only go back to 2000, but most of it is correct for 1997 i believe.....

italianjob
08-03-2016, 06:43 PM
I know they don't have diagrams for every year but those listed should be the same as other years, I'm thinking. That and a lot of parts are inter-changeable with M900-750 or SS models although the ss didn't have the vac pump tap thingy. Which from what I've read can be more trouble than its worth. It works, just but I can understand why most owners junk it and go for an on/off tap especially if the bike isn't used regularly. I've had bikes before with vac fuel taps and I'm not a fan, but at least on those bikes there was a tap which you could open to prime which meant fuel would flow regardless of the vac valve being open or not. I think that is what is missing on the monster set up.
I could have saved myself a lot of grief by just fitting a tap, although there is no where to bolt it like the earlier models ?
The other problem appears to be a smaller fuel line on one side of the vacuum tap to the other. So a larger line to the fuel pump, and smaller to the tank ? Don't understand that, but hey ho !

Darren69
08-03-2016, 06:47 PM
This is the part from the '98 M900

http://www.stein-dinse.biz/images/product_images/popup_images/000075360.jpg

My guess is it would be the same as the part you need.

italianjob
08-03-2016, 07:28 PM
This is the part from the '98 M900

http://www.stein-dinse.biz/images/product_images/popup_images/000075360.jpg

My guess is it would be the same as the part you need.
After a week of waiting, my Monster Bible turned up today. What does it say about the vacuum fuel tap ? It wasn't fitted to mine as it is an earlier frame number.....:fou:
Hence the lack of vacuum fitting !
How weird is that ? Talking about the very thing that has spawned this topic. I've said it before and i'll say it again: Knowledge is power.....:look:
Thanks for all your help anyway :ukm: