PDA

View Full Version : M900ie Clutch

Chriswilly
21-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Good day everyone.
During a partial rebuild of a 'tacky' M900ie (2000) I found that there was a 'spacer' missing from the clutch shaft behind the basket.
I have been running the bike for about a year without problems having bought a 900SS motor and fitting a new set of plates in the clutch.

Everything has been fine for about 3k miles until I notices a 'rumble' from the right side of the bike at engine speed (roughly 300cps at 3k rpm) so stripped everything out and found that a spacer was missing (part no713 1012 1B)

Replaced this spacer and oil seals etc but can now NOT get all of the plates into the basket. (let alone the eggs!)
Would it be OK to leave out one of the inside 2mm steel plates at the inside of the pack?

Thanks, Chris

Darren69
21-02-2016, 01:53 PM
I think iirc the spacer is for the standard clutch and without the space for a slipper clutch. And from my experience the slipper has an extra plate added usually. So if your running a standard clutch you should have the spacer. What type do you have and how many of each plate do you have?

Chriswilly
21-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Thanks.

The present arrangement worked well without the 'spacer'.

At present the outer steel is not located into the basket and another 2mm 'loss of plates' looks like the answer.

Will take it apart AGAIN and measure the 'pack' and count the total number of plates.

Chriswilly
21-02-2016, 04:46 PM
The pack consists of 9xSteel and 7xFriction which was working well without the 'spacer' just fitted so, obviously, it has lost some space within the basket.
The pack measures 39.39mm - don't know what it is supposed to be.
Will fit if I were to leave out one of the first 2 steel plates out!
Is this feasable?