PDA

View Full Version : Fitted Oberon bar end mirrors

MarkF
17-02-2016, 08:05 PM
First mod to the 821 plus I feel a need to contribute here.

Wondering if I have made a mistake TBH, they are tiny at 60mm

http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/60mm_Streetfighter_Mirror_Black_Standard.jpg

Very fiddily to set up, in fact I need to get out on the road with Allen keys and set up on a ride out I think, then use some loctite. I nearly sent them straight back when I got them out of the packaging.

But I need to give them a try and it looks a lot better without those enormous OEM mirrors.

I now need to order a bolt for the right hand OEM mirror, can you guess why? :cens:

Stinger101
17-02-2016, 08:10 PM
That'll be the left hand thread buggered then.....
I've been looking at bar end mirrors too. Ones that don't splay too far out thus widening the bike too much but ones that turn back over the knuckles more. Haven't found ones that say 'buy me' yet.
Yours look good by the way

MarkF
17-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Yep, found out it was opposite thread drilling the rounded bolt out when it suddenly started to undo on the drill. :biggrin:

These probably add another 3 inches to the width of the bars and you need to give it a couple of grunts on the allen key to make it a tight fit on the bars.

Dave G
18-02-2016, 08:23 AM
I've had these on the monster for years and I still like them.

They are very tricky to set up, I have each side set slightly differently for head height but once they're in position they are so much clearer than any of the bigger diameter bar end designs due mainly to using flat glass.
I would never use convex mirrors again nor would I recommend them on a bike as you think you can see behind you but the wide angle view reduces the details so much as to render them fairly useless and becomes a danger if you think you know whats behind you and then find depth perception and judging speed of rearward traffic is so poor that even the lifesaver glance as pull out doesn't help seeing the transit thats gunning it oblivious to limits or everyone else on the road.

Dump the novelty mirrors folks and get proper ones, even at half the size these oberon ones are clearer so stick with them Mark.

Nasher
18-02-2016, 09:29 AM
I have a set of these on my M900, they came with it and initially I wanted to change them, mainly because of the extra width of the bars and squeezing between the cars on my drive, but also because I thought they were too small.

However having now lived with them I find the size and stable image they give to be quite good.

Mrs Nasher also wants a smaller car, so hopefully it will be a few inches narrower and I’ll gain the space to squeeze between hers and my car on the drive that way instead.

I did try swapping them over so the mirror itself was below and within the width of the bars, the ‘image’ was then looking back under my arms.
Unfortunately they were in just the wrong place and I couldn’t see through my hands.

Nasher.

MarkF
18-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Oh dear, these are convex not flat, I think the older one's were flat.

don_matese
18-02-2016, 11:02 AM
I bought a set of these for my bike http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BM8ASC4/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1 as when fitted they can be flipped up over the knuckles or out past the end of the bars. mine are set over the knuckles for filtering although my renthal bars are a bit wider than the standard bike set up so don't squeeze through the barrier at the car park so easily any way.

Nasher
18-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Oh dear, these are convex not flat, I think the older one's were flat.

Mine are a few years old, and definitely flat.

Nasher

MarkF
18-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Not doing too well with this project, ordered some mirror blanking caps, the 821 is an 8mm thread not 10, I had an easier time putting a full akro system on a ZX7R :banghead:

Jessie
18-02-2016, 06:38 PM
For future reference most bolts that are left hand thread have a groove cut in the head to show its a left handed thread. The OEM mirrors on my 620ies have this also. I remembered what the mark was for after half a day trying to remove the right hand mirror. Doh !

MarkF
18-02-2016, 07:03 PM
For future reference most bolts that are left hand thread have a groove cut in the head to show its a left handed thread. The OEM mirrors on my 620ies have this also. I remembered what the mark was for after half a day trying to remove the right hand mirror. Doh !

No groove on this one.

Half a day?? Took me 2 mins thinking I had to break the loctite seal using a bar to round out the head and 10 mins to drill it out :mand:

MR21
19-02-2016, 01:16 PM
I've got some very similar bar end mirrors, small, flat and love them, actually work heaps better than the OEM which vibrated so much over 50mph they were useless. The bar ends also improve the profile of the bike immeasurably. With the OEM bolts, all I did was buy a new set, then saw the originals in half and screw them back in again. Voila!

MarkF
19-02-2016, 02:20 PM
Looked at that but my bolts are not fully threaded, will send the caps back and get some rubber bungs or M8 x 18 bolts from somewhere.

uksurfer
19-02-2016, 07:27 PM
Not sure of the set up on the 821, but most monsters you can turn the bar clamp part upside down and then you won't need to fit blanks. You will need to adjust the fork stop though to stop it hitting the tank

Darren69
20-02-2016, 06:49 AM
You can buy the clamps without the mirror threads from another model, thats what I did.

MarkF
20-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys, looked at the upside down bit and as you say fouls the tank also some cabling will have a look and see how much different clamps will be.

MR21
29-02-2016, 01:14 PM
Just a short addendum to this thread: this weekend I lost the grub screw at the end of the bar weight, the one that holds the mirror tight. Fair play to Oberon, I contacted them to see if they sold replacements, and they came back to me to say that they do and to call them to order, which I did, peaking to Wendy who had sent the reply email. In this day and age of corporates and call centres, it was refreshing to speak to someone who was part of the business, helpful and courteous. Therefore I'd just like to give a shout out to Oberon, and if anyone is thinking of getting anything from them it appears you can rest assured you will get decent after sales support.

Nasher
29-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Wendy is a nice lady, met her a while ago.

If you'd been to Oberon you'd realise why I chuckled when I read 'corporates and call centres' in a thread about them.

There are only 4 or 5 employees, and Wendy sits on a Mez floor over the CNC shop packing stuff up and answering the emails.

Really nice people with a great attitude who know what they are talking about.

Nasher.

MarkF
29-02-2016, 02:34 PM
Wendy is a nice lady, met her a while ago.

If you'd been to Oberon you'd realise why I chuckled when I read 'corporates and call centres' in a thread about them.

There are only 4 or 5 employees, and Wendy sits on a Mez floor over the CNC shop packing stuff up and answering the emails.

Really nice people with a great attitude who know what they are talking about.

Nasher.

In that case I am glad I bought from them and not some cheap Chinese copy on ebay, always happy to support a UK manufacturing business.

Thanks for the addendum MR21:)

jonzi
29-02-2016, 03:31 PM
Just a short addendum to this thread: this weekend I lost the grub screw at the end of the bar weight, the one that holds the mirror tight. Fair play to Oberon, I contacted them to see if they sold replacements, and they came back to me to say that they do and to call them to order, which I did, peaking to Wendy who had sent the reply email. In this day and age of corporates and call centres, it was refreshing to speak to someone who was part of the business, helpful and courteous. Therefore I'd just like to give a shout out to Oberon, and if anyone is thinking of getting anything from them it appears you can rest assured you will get decent after sales support.

Second that. I did the same with mine. I assume it was Wendy I spoke to too.

Good company, good products, good customer service

MarkF
24-03-2016, 05:29 PM
Bit of feed back.

The mirrors work just fine despite my fears about the small size, adjusting is another matter, I went out with tools and got them just right. Got home and thought I would just tweak them up a pinch and whacked the right hand one off the bars, just hadn't got the collet set hard enough, so need to go out and set that one up again.

But loadsa rear visibility, more than I expected from such a small mirror, I suspect convex means things look bigger than they should, but I found it no problem.

Look great too, highly recommended over OEM mirrors.

Changing the rear clamps sent my dealer around the show room, we finally found a Honda I think it was with same size rear clamp with no mirror threaded hole, slight change in black, but at half the price of the Ducati standard clamps ordered a pair.

Thumbs up from me, looking at R&G for axle and frame protectors next.....

bigredduke
21-05-2016, 09:53 AM
I have also just fitted a pair of Oberon bar-end mirrors. Initially I fitted the clamps upside-down but then decided to revert to right-way-up and use the original mirror mounting points to fit a a pair of RAM ball end mounts for satnav & camera. I did have them on the centre handlebar clamps originally but the satnav obscured the centre console. They are much better on the mirror mounts & also fill the holes & look much neater.

I needed to get a longer L/H thread bolt to fit the RAM mount to the R/H mirror side though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Select-M4-12-Stainless-Steel-Allen-Hex-Socket-Head-Cap-Screws-Left-Hand-Thread-/272230181133?var=&hash=item3f622ee90d:m:mBo4TlERVA2dV-BxusGc2HA

iMOC
21-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Bought these the other day - work well...Strada 7 Racing

http://s32.postimg.org/f2v0elptt/IMG_0458.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/f2v0elptt/)

http://s32.postimg.org/ojktl89oh/IMG_0460.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ojktl89oh/)

http://s32.postimg.org/iwognr75t/IMG_0465.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/iwognr75t/)

MarkF
21-05-2016, 11:28 AM
Finally got a piccy with mine too, TBH I prefer the rounded mirrors, but nice 1200 stripe, thinking I maybe should have gone for that.

How big is your RAM mount :eek:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93913983/Photographs/Monster_821.jpg

iMOC
21-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Great Pic of your bike MarkF. Vivid colours......

MarkF
21-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Great Pic of your bike MarkF. Vivid colours......

Thanks, Galaxy S6 and light room :biggrin:

Also this does actually represent the very bright green of the new growth on that lane, what a place to stop for a P!ss :)

bigredduke
21-05-2016, 05:28 PM
Thanks, Galaxy S6 and light room :biggrin:

Also this does actually represent the very bright green of the new growth on that lane, what a place to stop for a P!ss :)

Presumably the new growth is now even greener?

MarkF
21-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Presumably the new growth is now even greener?

Indeed, helmet on and ear plugs in , its always a lottery, but just finished and readjusted when transit van appears, then hop on and a horse and rider appears, talk about timing, also the fuel light was on :)