PDA

View Full Version : New Magnecor 2721 plug leads, should ends be threaded?

urbanfireblade
15-02-2016, 02:02 PM
Just received my new Magnecor plug leads for my 2001 Ducati Monster 600 but the ends are just cut off, shouldn't they have a thread end to screw onto the coils or do I just self tap them onto the coil spigot straight into the centre electrode?
If so do I self tap directly in the centre of the lead so it'll push the centre electrode in the plug lead further or just to the side of the centre core so the coil spigot self taps alongside the electrode?

Sorry for the silly question but I'm at work and just received these and I'm sure my current knackered magnecor leads at home had a brass thread or something in the end of the lead that matches the black coils spigot/threaded pin.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b151/urbanfireblade/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpse3vd17wp.png (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/urbanfireblade/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpse3vd17wp.png.html)

Nottsbiker
15-02-2016, 03:14 PM
The coils have a threaded spike in the hole to screw your leads into

don_matese
15-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Like Notts says - you should just screw the leads on to the threaded spike. Be careful to centre it correctly and not to over tighten it.

I also put some black silicone sealer around the plug cap end that threads on to the lead to stop water getting in.

Nottsbiker
15-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Ps were your old leafs knackered or did they just need trimming down a bit in which case you could have saved yourself some pennies

urbanfireblade
15-02-2016, 08:12 PM
My old Magnecor leads were giving a resistance reading of 6k ohms and 10k ohms, i read they have 5k resistors in the caps so thought perhaps the 10k one was too high and could possibly be causing my 1 cylinder running woes. I've also stripped my carbs and reset the float heights as they were way too high and also found the pilot jet was too large so have now fitted the correct ones, plus checked the coils primary and secondary windings were in spec as well as the pickup coils resistance. The connector plugs at the ignition boxes had 2 wires exposing their cores so i've fitted heat shrink onto them all plus fitted new spark plugs.
I pinned my hopes on the plug lead resistance being the cause of the 1 cylinder running so opted for new ones but was expecting them to have threaded ends hence the original post. It's back together now and ive ridden 20miles with no issues so hoping one of those things i've done has fixed the cause of the running problem but we shall see!
Cheers for the replies. I found that trying to wind the leads onto the coils spike did muller the end of the lead so i cut a tiny piece of insulation away from beside the core of the magnecor plug leads so the coils spike had a starting point and they seem to have gone on ok.
It's not a very good design thats for sure!

Nottsbiker
15-02-2016, 08:35 PM
Glad to hear that you got it sorted in the end :)

urbanfireblade
18-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Seems my old Magnecor plug leads didn't have a threaded end. My memory was playing tricks on me. As a side note the resistance of each new lead was 6k ohms and 7k ohms, one was about 4" longer than the other. Even though Magnecor state they are tailored to the bike the leads are about a foot longer than they need to be. Making for some interesting and slightly untidy looping of the plug leads to try and lose some length from the coil to the spark plug. Still, it's mostly hidden once the tank is down.