PDA

View Full Version : Michelin Pilot Road 3s

FLATTOP
03-02-2016, 12:07 PM
With Spring around the corner I have been arranging servicing Mot ect and will be changing both tyres on my M1000.

I have dunlops front and rear at the moment the backs ready to change the fronts almost new, I am thinking of changing to Michelin Pilot Road 3s now I used to run these on a BMW R1200RT totally different bike to the M1000 but they were amazing I want that feeling of confidence on the Monster is there any one running this particular tyre on a M1000.

It's a tricky subject because there's a million opinions on tyres hence why I've narrowed it to this Tyre and the M1000 only, your views will be appreciated before I fork out the wedge.

slob
03-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Whilst my M1000/Michelin experience is limited to Power2CTs, I suspect you'll find them excellent, I'd be trying them if I didn't like trackdays so much.

J.P
03-02-2016, 01:23 PM
Pilot Road tyre's are all great, the PR 4's being the latest edition.
They use dual compound technology and are brilliant.
Not sure they offer a 60 profile rear on that tyre yet, look it up on the website, but if they do, it's worth considering for a slightly faster turn in and a bigger contact area when leaning.

jerry
03-02-2016, 01:35 PM
I have PR3 's on my S4 and they are superb ,,,better than the Pirelli Rosso corse 2 i had before , they sometimes broke traction ,, these never do

utopia
03-02-2016, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't buy anything other than a dual compound rear tyre these days .. for a road bike at least.
They retain their profile for much longer and, all else being equal, the profile is possibly the most important factor in a tyre, in my opinion.
My experience is limited to PR2s on my M750 though (sorry to stray from the criteria) ...6 or 7k miles and still not too badly squared !!
Pr3s will be going on next ... I fancy that the improvement from 3s to 4s is less significant, so I would economise with the 3s.
Oponeo had decent prices last time I looked, if you can fit them yourself.

FLATTOP
03-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the fast replies chaps I think you've given me the nudge I needed the fact that the replies are from respected long term members goes a long way in me making my decision.

Now roll on the Spring she's all wrapped up in her UKMOC cover at the back of the garage at the moment.

Flip
03-02-2016, 03:46 PM
Just to throw a little spanner in the works I put a pair PR3's on my 900 early last year after running Pirellis for fifteen of the seventeen years I've owned the bike and have found that although they offer very confidence inspiring levels of grip (but I never had a problem with the Pirellis and I suspect it to be simply a case of tyre technology moving forward) they have turned my once light turning and 'flickable' bike into something that now feels rather 'puddingy'.

I found this initially when filtering through traffic- so much so I thought I had picked up a puncture in the front and pulled over to investigate- it really felt under inflated (which it wasn't as I had a pressure gauge with me).

That feeling remains when riding slowly in town or through traffic, perhaps that is how they are meant to feel and I think that if you are used to them or have ridden on them before then maybe not a problem but I don't like it so I think I'll be going back to Pirellis when they wear out (which looking at them may be some time yet) or even before if I really can't stand them this Spring.

Wildfire
03-02-2016, 04:32 PM
The PR's are a different beast to Pirellis. I found them heavier and turn in much slower. But then that is Diablo Rosso Corsas to PR4's.

Mixed riding in all weathers the PR4's are brilliant, longevity, stability wet grip. Fast and aggressively profiled they are not.

My brother rides 15,000 a year and swear by them. Until he did a track day on DRC's I got him. But within a week of road riding he was back on his PR4's, now he just switches at the track.

For something a bit in between maybe the Pilot Power's or the Pirelli Rosso 3's? Especially if you're mainly doing dry road ring in the summer?

That said I use Pilot Power 2CT's on my Monster and they have been great in everything.

FLATTOP
03-02-2016, 06:17 PM
A spanner in the works is exactly what happens when you start reading other reviews the Pilot Power 2CTs have got fantastic reviews and I am tempted but I think seeing as I had them on a different bike and loved them the PR3s is the way I am going to go for an all round tyre.

It's funny how motorcycle tyres have come on over the years I remember my very long stint as a courier and I used to use Avon Roadrunners on CX500s they used to go very square after a short time but lasted for ever, but Metzelers used to suit the boxer twins certain Bikes definetley suit certain tyres.

MrsC_772
03-02-2016, 07:25 PM
I'm on my 2nd set of PR3s on my M696. I got 15,000 miles out of the last set (I always get insanely high mileages out of tyres - makes up for the fact that my bike eats wheel bearings like they're made of cheese) and only needed to change the last set because I got a puncture in the rear. I ride all year round and like the fact they cope with filthy wet roads without squirminess.

MerlinPV12
03-02-2016, 08:45 PM
Have the PR3's on my evo, can't fault them and they warm up much quicker than the Rosso Corse 2's ever did. I also have the PR4's on a 1200RT which feel pretty much like the perfect tyre for this particular bike and they work well in all weathers. I do fancy putting on a really sticky almost slick tyre on the evo in the summer, just to see :-). Enjoy your Evo..

Pedro
04-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Had 2CT's on my thou, very good they were too.

EvoAde
05-02-2016, 05:22 PM
I'm on PR4's on my 1100evo. Love them and can't say I've noticed that they make the steering signigicantly slower. Fantastic grip in wet and dry (especially wet) and warm up quickly.

Just one note; a biker I was talking to about these tyres (who worked in the tyre business) advised dropping the pressures a few pounds from recommended if doing track days or many miles at really high speeds as they can get a bit overheated. Not a problem for me or 99% of riders.

Italiatwin
14-02-2016, 07:47 AM
Had Mich pr3 on my Multi 1000, not a Monster but similar I guess.
Best all round tyre I've ever had. Great in the hot dry or cold wet, fantastic !
Scratched down through France in 30 deg along the marvellous D roads and they were perfect, coming home it pissed down through northern France's they were perfect. I know view these as my first choice tyres when rubber is required.
Haven't used pr4 yet but probably more of the same I guess.

FLATTOP
14-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Definetley will be getting a set of these for the start of the season Oponeo are doing a set for £177 free delivery.

holty
14-02-2016, 05:34 PM
For what it's worth, I've tried many tyres on my Moonster and my thoughts are stay away from sports touring tyres, they affect the handling and feel, and to be honest only last a few hundred miles more than the current crop of sports tyres. I'm running a set of S20 evo at the moment and think that they are great on the road and work well on the track.

Like you say it's very subjective and to be honest all the current rubber works well!

Interesting debate....

Italiatwin
14-02-2016, 08:41 PM
To be honest my primary reason for the Michelin is the wet weather grip, I have run all sorts of sticky sports rubber over the years but I really struggle with them in bad or cold conditions. My monster is primarily a road bike and it gets ridden in real world situations, therefore I feel the Michelin pilot Road's are the best compromise
They may not be as razor sharp as some track tires but track work only makes up 1% of my mileage. I am not a fast knee down track rider, I just have a thrash round at my own pace so when I do venture out on the old track day the Michelin's are more than sticky enough for me