PDA

View Full Version : 1198 huffing and puffing ???? help please

jerry
25-01-2016, 04:30 PM
A friend of mine in Thailand has brought me his 1198 to fix as Ducati dealers wont touch it being a grey import ,,they are bastards here in Thailand they also wont fix bikes not bought from them !!!!!!

he is desperate for help ,, I guess im his last hope !!!! poor sod .

the bike is a 2009 1198s in mint condition and it has been running but has been standing for 4 months ,, it has fresh fuel in
it turns over OK on the starter and bangs and farts once or twice in the exhausts almost runs , and thats it ??? smells like its then flooded a bit

Battery seems OK gives 12.7v dash shows no alarms and immobiliser is not the issue ,,

anyone got any ideas ,, im going to clean the injectors , test the coils and plugs and try my JPDIAG and see if i can reset the TPS etc

some people here have mentioned crank position sensor may be an issue he has one on order ?? but Im not sure about that ,,,

Darren69
25-01-2016, 06:39 PM
Crank sensor would give an error I think, at least mine did on my S4 although it didn't pack up altogether it just misread a few times and flashed up an error. I replaced it and all good. Didn't stop the bike running though.

jerry
27-01-2016, 06:19 AM
OK have had a good look at the bike with JPdiag and tools ,,

due to language problems ,, It seems the last time the bike was running it died in third gear like it had run out of fuel ,,,,,it has not run for 4 months ...

bike is a 2009 1198s unmodified with 14k miles
the coils are OK , so are the plugs , big fat sparks , and they are dry
the fuel pump works ,,,,,
the immobiliser is OK
all lights ,horn , and dash work fine
starter is fine
battery is perfect
fuel is good
all mechanicals are good ,,

JP diag gave me some faults

1.......fan on right side , ground fault not working ,,, left side fan is OK working good
2......A & B injectors not working Ground fault ??
3......crank position sensor open circuit ????

still investigating dry spark plugs seems to indicate a fueling issue ?????

I have requested a JP diag license for this bike to unlock service/tps reset feature as my existing one is for the S4 which is less sophisticated .

JMH900sie
27-01-2016, 07:30 AM
Crank position sensor broken and a poor ground to the injectors? Check all earths are really clean!

jerry
27-01-2016, 08:23 AM
I think its a fuel issue as i have cleaned all the earths ,, now no fault codes but left hand fan still not working and no fuel getting to plugs ,,,,, all relays are OK as i took them out and tried them on my S4 and checked them on a test rig ,,

have told owner to get a new fuel filter and some injector cleaner ,,,, thats next step????

Darren69
27-01-2016, 09:09 AM
Is there fuel in the fuel rail? Is there any rust inside the tank?

slob
27-01-2016, 10:10 AM
take out the air filter and turn the ignition on with the throttles wide open, you should see the injectors squirt fuel into the throttle bodies if all is well.
Injectors themselves are quite fragile and easy to damage if you're not careful refitting the airbox.

Second fan probably only kicks in when a temperature threshold has been reached, Capo has explained it many times for S4R, do an advanced search on user:capo and keyword:fan.
http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showpost.php?p=386681&postcount=4

I've seen crank sensors stop a bike revving/making power but never seen a generated error code or no start situation.

jerry
27-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Tank is a plastic one so no rust problem,, just before i finished up for the day i blasted some starter fluid into the bike and she ran for about 20 seconds and then died from lack of fuel so thats pretty conclusive its a fuelling problem ,, so injectors , fuel filter ,, seem the probable culprits ???

will get back to it in a few days ,,

Dirty
27-01-2016, 06:40 PM
How did he manage to import it, I thought it was almost impossible. I heard of someone slowing 'smuggling' a 999 in by taking it to bits and bringing it over a few parts at a time!

jerry
27-01-2016, 07:38 PM
It was possible up to 2 years ago to grey import bikes in bits ,it used to be big business for the grey importers they would bring 30 bikes at a time , one container held engines , another the frame and forks and a third would hold the rest , thats how my S4 came here in 2005

but now its impossible his bike has been here for a few years it came from japan like mine ..due to so many big bikes built here now by triumph, ducati, and japs plus new lower import tariffs it no longer viable except on classic bikes ... most of the old grey importers have dissapeared ..

Funkatronic
28-01-2016, 12:04 AM
my 1098 has some really weird running issues to caused by old fuel, similar, to your mates, bike had been served recently but had been left standing for 6-8 months and probably occasionally turned over in the .

I suggest you drain the tank completely buy some nice high octane fuel stuff, fit new fuel filter get a well charged car battery with some big jump leads (to save your sprag), and turn it over a bit more to see if it will fire.
I did this and it ran badly for a min or so then got progressively happier the more i ran it r

I took it to Almeria and mine would still momentarily 'sneeze' but only when going very quick i.e. wide open throttle in 4th -5th gear. looking at the dash i'd see coil and injector errors after replacing the relays the error went away and after about a day of thrashing round a race track the sneezing got progressively less frequent until it went away. we assumed my injectors were a bit clogged and with a decent thrashing flushed it out.
can you get yours professional cleaned if possible ?

fwiw i also had load and loads of grief due to the crap OEM blade fuses that crack due to vibration.
i'd replace all the fuses, both relays (behind the batt box) and switch clean the relay contacts as a matter of course
and double check the ECU earth is decent

NewMon
28-01-2016, 07:14 PM
after about a day of thrashing round a race track the sneezing got progressively less frequent until it went away.

So, the very definition of an 'Italian Service'.

jerry
09-02-2016, 05:08 PM
problem solved whilst putting in the new fuel filter i noticed a cracked rubber hose on the pump body a tiny split , which must have been causing a loss of pressure , once that was changed for a new 30mm of hose the bike now runs fine ...goes like bat outa hell.

however the headlights are not coming on after reassembly ,, all connectors are OK and so are the bulbs and fuses ,, and 3 main relays ,,starter,injectors and fans

is there another headlight relay on 1198 ???? if so where ??? on 1098 its on the headstock sub frame but 1198 is not same ??????