PDA

View Full Version : Annoyed???, ever so slightly!

rbt1548
24-01-2016, 04:08 PM
It's just been about a month since I took delivery of my M800Sie after debating and deliberating on here if I should go for it. The bike looks in good condition and with the weather being the way it is I've not been able to get out on it yet so have been getting to know the intricacies of the bike, recoating the carbon side panels and heel guards and have ordered a set of jmh900ie's cables.

When I was thinking about the bike one of the good points was it had a full service history, I know it's not a major thing and a 'must have' but it's good to have and it's part of the history of the bike. When it came I noticed that it hadn't been stamped for the last service so I contacted the dealer and was told it was an oversight and to send it down and they'd stamp it.
I did it on Tuesday, by signed for post, got a call from the dealer on Wednesday to tell me they received the envelope, which had been taped on 3 sides, with the covering letter but they reckon it was sliced open and no service book!!!!, they queried it with the postman and got a, 'that's how I got it', response, Royal Mail at my end were just as helpful; so service book gone!, it's a service book, no use to anyone bar me!
Luckily I had the foresight to scan the service pages before I sent it, I don't know why I did it, maybe a premonition?, but I'm glad I did.

The dealer's getting another book and putting the last stamp on it, and at least I have the scans.
Just let's say, I was one p*ss*d off guy on Wednesday.

Darren69
24-01-2016, 05:01 PM
That's pants. Did the same dealer do all the services? Maybe if you sent a copy of the other stamps they could put those in too?

rbt1548
24-01-2016, 05:26 PM
That's pants. Did the same dealer do all the services? Maybe if you sent a copy of the other stamps they could put those in too?

There are 3 or 4 different dealer's stamps, but to be honest I've accepted the book's gone and I have the scans which all have the frame number etc., they still give me a record.

I would have preferred the book but it's sods law it disappeared, it's happened now and the 'that's crap' feeling has gone.

Still annoyed that it happened, but it happened, got annoyed for a wee while and moved on.

Dookbob
25-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Something doesn,t sound quite right about this. Why did the person who sliced open the envelope and removed the service book bother to allow the envelope to continue to be delivered? Rightly or wrongly I,m suspicious of the dealer, or at least someone at the dealership.

Nasher
25-01-2016, 01:02 PM
Service books are useful as with a little doctoring they can be used to add value to a vehicle with no service history.

Even if the book itself isn’t changed and passed on, a mediocre Photoshop user can change the details easily and produce ‘back up’ scans, or in the past photocopies, of lost service books for any number of similar bikes.

I've also seen this in the past with older high value cars that can have had several changes of private plate being used as an excuse for reg. number changes in the book alongside badly over written engine/chassis numbers that can be read as different characters depending on what you want to see.

I’m sorry to say that having had various attempts to scam me in this respect in the past I personally wouldn’t consider a scan of a service book as evidence that it ever had one.

I too am VERY suspicious of the dealer in this case.

Nasher.

smiffyraf1
25-01-2016, 04:35 PM
how was it sent? recorded delivery? kudos to you for scanning the pages but i agree with above if i was buying they wouldnt be worth much to me. something going on dealer end here. id threaten them with naming them on the forums unless they have a bloody good look for that book

Mr Gazza
25-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Stuff gets lost and damaged in the post all the time.

At least someone noticed the damaged envelope and taped it up. Or was the tape what you sent it out with and the forth side slit upon arrival?

There is a small chance that the book will turn up if has been lost in a post office machine or van, as it will have your reg Number in it, and even former keepers names and addresses....Possibly even your own address?

It's a cynical view to think that the dealer has stolen it for dishonest purposes, If they can get a replacement book. Then why wouldn't they be able to forge a complete history in a new book with all the correct info for thier purpose??

Still an unlucky story though....I'd be annoyed too.

rbt1548
25-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Sorry guys I see where you're coming from but, in this instance ,I don't see the dealer as the problem, the only thing that they didn't do was remember to stamp it before it came up to me.

Why would the dealer want the book now?, they could have said there was little service history with it at the time of sale also they could have just held onto the book rather than sending it up last month with the rest of the documentation.

They also didn't know I was going to send it at all as I said I might just leave it and accept a photocopy of the service sheet, so why wait on a specific item that may or may not be sent. They contacted me immediately, in fact it was less than 24 hours after posting when Glasgow to the south of England can, depending on the speed of Royal Mail's latest pigeon, take a bit longer, so there was no delay in them letting me know and asking me to contact the mail depot at this end.

I am going to speak to them again tomorrow, as they are closed on Mondays, to see if it's turned up. If it hasn't I'm not going to get myself worked up about it, that happened last week and I felt crap:Furious:, I am past that now.
At least I'll have the new book and the scans from the original, would still like to have had the original but it's gone!

I wrote the thread to let off a bit of steam, and it's worked!

Thanks guys! :thumbsup: