PDA

View Full Version : Cool indicators

Drumnagorrach
23-01-2016, 05:27 PM
I am on with fitting a nice little carbon fibre tail piece to My S2R and I would like to fit a set of carbon fibre look indicators . There are loads on Ebay ,some very cheap , I quite like the idea of LED ,but then I would need resistors and thats just another component to fail ,or does anyone know different .
Any recommendations ?

Darren69
23-01-2016, 07:07 PM
I think I've seen flasher units specifically for LEDs with the ballast built in, or was I dreaming it?

DrD
23-01-2016, 07:33 PM
I have LED units on my Le Mans, I use a LED specific flasher relay.

Darren69
23-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Woah, LEDs on a Lemon? thats proper techno-retro. :)

Mr Gazza
23-01-2016, 08:14 PM
I think I've seen flasher units specifically for LEDs with the ballast built in, or was I dreaming it?

Do Darrendroids dream of electric sheep?

Darren69
23-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Do Darrendroids dream of electric sheep?

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

Mr Gazza
23-01-2016, 08:44 PM
Ha.! Gotcha....You are a Darrendroid...:chuckle::chuckle::thumbsup:

Darren69
23-01-2016, 09:15 PM
And everyone else is going WTF? :)

DrD
23-01-2016, 09:21 PM
or Philip K D:spin:

DrD
23-01-2016, 09:25 PM
Woah, LEDs on a Lemon? thats proper techno-retro. :)
Even has LED warning liights and rear lamp:shocked:

Darren69
23-01-2016, 10:00 PM
I bet you've got a digital ignition on it too? My Mirage still has the soot and smoke from the original bosch units!

Flip
24-01-2016, 09:36 AM
And everyone else is going WTF? :)

Perhaps some are but ..........The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly,........

Drumnagorrach
24-01-2016, 09:41 AM
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die.

Iam hoping you have googled that, and haven't remembered it .🙄

Darren69
24-01-2016, 09:54 AM
Yea, I could only remember the last line from memory and it has been too many years, I think I might still have it on VHS tape somewhere.

Dirty
24-01-2016, 11:00 AM
Are you testing whether I'm a replicant or a lesbian?

Mr Gazza
24-01-2016, 03:19 PM
A harmless aunedriod does not require testing.

utopia
24-01-2016, 05:25 PM
One problem with fitting aftermarket indicators to a std tail is the mismatch between the shape of the tail at the mounting point and the form of the indicator stems.
Some kind of bridging/blending piece would be nice, but I haven't found one.

I'm currently considering fitting led indicators from a panigale to my monster.
The stems still don't match but they're a lot closer than most aftermarket indicators that I have seen.
Maybe I'll come up with a neat plan but its a work in progress at the moment.

I strongly suspect that most "carbon" indicators are actually fake "carbon-patterned" plastic and are a poor match for the real thing, particularly when fitted against genuine carbon fibre.
I'd stick with black myself.

Darren69
24-01-2016, 05:50 PM
That's the exact reason I didn't fit any different indicators as they don't match the original shape tea tray. They're not LED but I still have these DP ones for sale, they were stupidly expensive new, £120 for a pair!

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=52970

Mr Gazza
24-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Is it possible to just fit an LED bulb in standard indicator units?

Would any of these just go straight in?
http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/p21-5w-led-bulb

Or would a new flasher relay be needed too?

Albie
24-01-2016, 06:52 PM
Is it possible to just fit an LED bulb in standard indicator units?

Would any of these just go straight in?
http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/p21-5w-led-bulb

Or would a new flasher relay be needed too?

You still need a resistor. I did find the Scrambler ecu works it out and flashed twice as fast with ones fitted. I even then fitted another to it ie 2 per indicator and then removed all and ok.

Mr Gazza
24-01-2016, 07:04 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flasher-RELAY-For-LED-Indicators-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Bike-Resistor-3-PIN-12V-/161342101605?hash=item2590bd1865:g:6LUAAOSws65TovL 7#ht_3010wt_1046

This relay claims to be all that is needed and has it's own built in resistance.

Sorry Albie I can't understand your post??....ECU controlling indicators...Really?

Drumnagorrach
24-01-2016, 07:24 PM
I'm going to try a set of rear fake carbon fibre indicators with normal bulbs , quite cheap so if I'm not happy with em it dosnae matter .
I'm not fitting to the original plastic tail piece ,I'm fitting to a replica DP carbon fibre jobbie that I have ordered from Italia.
That's me finished buying stuff and messing about with the bike for a while due to a feking water pipe bursting, with the frost, in the loft of a cottage we are renovating ,bollox .

Albie
24-01-2016, 07:32 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flasher-RELAY-For-LED-Indicators-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Bike-Resistor-3-PIN-12V-/161342101605?hash=item2590bd1865:g:6LUAAOSws65TovL 7#ht_3010wt_1046

This relay claims to be all that is needed and has it's own built in resistance.

Sorry Albie I can't understand your post??....ECU controlling indicators...Really?

Yes it works out flash rate. Were bulbs originally and fitted LED rizoma with the rizoma resistors which were fitted to my monster and needed them. I was somewhat surprised but glad to be rid of the small but annoying resistors.

utopia
24-01-2016, 09:20 PM
Sorry Albie I can't understand your post??....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rKYL0tW-Ek

buzzbomb
24-01-2016, 09:27 PM
Jeff I fitted panigale led indicators to the S4r, just be careful as there's two sizes with the smaller of the two looking better.

utopia
25-01-2016, 02:21 AM
I have three so far and I think they must be the smaller ones ... they're a tad under 80mm long, without the rubber base.
Though I was only vaguely aware that there might be two sizes.
Thanks for the heads-up, but hopefully I got lucky and bought the small ones anyway.
Do you have any more info on how you did it, or pics perhaps, particularly of the rear if you used the std tail ...?

I reckon I'll probably end up making some "blending pieces".
Maybe a little chunk of thickish, ally plate, with a pair of "guides" made in thin steel to match the form of the tail and the indicator stems and clamped either side, and then some careful filing.

My default position will be to keep the std indicators but fit them with amber led cluster "bulbs" coupled with an led-dedicated flasher relay.

One feature that I think I particularly like about the panigale indicators (and repeated on Darren's too) is the angled lens. Also the fact that the lens is bulbous rather than flat.
I haven't studied them in action but I reckon these features probably result in much better visibility, and from a much wider angle than flat, straight lenses.

Also personally, I like the intensity of colour that a coloured led light behind a coloured lens gives.
Brightness is one thing, but I fancy that colour intensity is just as important to good visibility (particularly amongst a mass of headlights on a busy road).
My rear light is thus, though the led unit originally came with a clear lens over the red leds.

I'm using a carbon replica of the original (curved) tea-tray.
Same as you, Drum ....?

Nottsbiker
25-01-2016, 06:23 AM
I've gone with new stock indicators, smoked lenses and orange bulbs for a stock but different look :)

Darren69
25-01-2016, 08:45 AM
I've gone with new stock indicators, smoked lenses and orange bulbs for a stock but different look :)

Snap! Are they the oval type? If so check the lens fits properly flush in the stock body as there are two types of body and lens very slightly different and changed in around '06. Ask me how I know :)

DrD
25-01-2016, 09:27 AM
I fit alloy bodied indicators to my bikes - good choice at http://www.bikermart.co.uk/motorcycle_indicators.asp?pg=2
The M900 has now unavailable Motrax on it front and back in clear anodised alloy to go with the unpainted engine and alloy throughout the bike.

Dennis menace
27-01-2016, 11:46 AM
Did you know that Rutger Hauer made that up on the day of filming? It wasn't in the original script.

Dirty
27-01-2016, 03:08 PM
Did you know that Rutger Hauer made that up on the day of filming? It wasn't in the original script.

Almost. Ridley Scott said in an interview that Rutger 'wrote' it. In fact the only bit he actually wrote was the last bit 'tears in rain/lost in time'. The rest was in the original script, albeit much longer. Rutger cut out the superfluous bits the night before, added the end and history was made. He didn't tell anyone he'd 'rewritten' it, just performed it and it was kept.

Mr Gazza
27-01-2016, 05:15 PM
What a guy.! Always got a bird on his arm too.

http://i64.tinypic.com/292qob4.jpg