PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a monster advice please

jaffacake
17-01-2016, 08:34 AM
I have been scootering for a couple of years (after 15 years on bikes) as it seemed to make more sense. However I hate it and want to get a bike again. It's main use will be commuting and pottering. I just want to have something to potter on and enjoy riding. Also I want something where I go into the shed and think 'yes, that's mine'.

Budget is around £2.5k. I know I want the air cooled monster with the s/s swingarm and am not too bothered about whether it's a 800/ 1000.

Questions are:

1. Am I likely to get anything nice in budget?
2. Will the bike be able to do 34 miles of commuting (mainly filtering) a few times a week without costing a fortune?
3. How expensive is servicing likely to be and are the belts difficult to do?

Thanks

Flip
17-01-2016, 09:30 AM
Hi and welcome along to the friendliest Ducati forum around.

As for answering your questions I am sure others will be along shortly with their thoughts but mine are:

1: I would say 2.5k for one of the S2R bikes is a tad low unless it's really scruffy or needs some work which would suggest either neglect or accident damage.

2: Any of the Monsters would cope easily with that kind of use but the later fuel injected models would be easier to live with and a little smoother as would lowering the gearing a touch to help further (they are all over-geared anyway).

3: As to how expensive they are to service depends on your outlook and where you take it or if you know your way around spanners the belts are not difficult as long as you are confident and take your time the first couple of goes.
Service items aren't too expensive and the air cooled motors are easy to work on and so if you do put it into a dealer they will be less than the 4v or water cooled bikes.
As with all dealerships though- some are better than others and I am sure people more local to you will be able to advise there.

alan c
17-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Hi, I have a S2r for sale if you fancy having a look, the 800 is a great all rounder ! would be fine for town and great fun on the open roads.

I use Alex at Pro Team for changing belts etc, he can collect the bike and return when completed and very reasonable costs.

For sale - S2R 800

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I have just purchased Steeevo's M1100 I have decided to part with my 800.

Very good condition and well looked after. A few marks here and there and some engine paint peeling.

Link to view pictures:
http://s383.photobucket.com/user/ala...ti%20S2R%20800

S2R 800
16000 miles
Leo vince high level exhaust with dp downpipes
Nitron racing shock
Hyperpro fork springs
Pazzo shorty levers
professionally covered seat
Carbon heal guards and hugger

£3200ono

jaffacake
17-01-2016, 10:46 AM
the plan was to keep the scooter for winter duties, if I can sell that and get some cash in for it, then it makes things a little easier.

I did read the servicing threads and can probably get to rosso in Bethnal Green OK its just I am not sure about costs and how much I can realistically do on my own.

Will drop you a pm later Alan to have a chat and look at the forum bikes.

utopia
17-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Early, carbed monsters suffer from winter carb icing.
It can be avoided by dosing the fuel with proFST.
Later, injected monsters don't suffer.
If you're commuting regularly in the winter this may be an issue.
Personally, I prefer the familiarity of carbs, but I have a trailie which does most of the winter work while the monster stays salt-free in the shed.

Dirty
17-01-2016, 06:55 PM
If you intend to commute into London bear in mind from 2018 bikes will need to be Euro something compliant or face a charge. Nothing set in stone yet but that looks to be the way it is going sadly.

slob
18-01-2016, 12:15 PM
If you intend to commute into London bear in mind from 2018 bikes will need to be Euro something compliant or face a charge. Nothing set in stone yet but that looks to be the way it is going sadly.

make sure you buy a 2007 or later bike

Ursa
18-01-2016, 12:59 PM
Specifically one registered after 1st July 2007... bikes must have be Euro 3 and the way they are checking is by a cut-off date of 1st July 2007 as all bikes manufactured after that had to be Euro 3. Instead of actually checking as per V5 if your bike is Euro 3, mine is, but registered February 2007 and they still want to charge me.

Zimbo
18-01-2016, 04:24 PM
To answer the earlier questions:

£2500 will just about get you an S2R800 in reasonable condition after a bit of haggling, £3K will get you a good one.
They will handle the commute no problem at all,
Running costs will be reasonable, the air cooled 2V servicing is straight forward and fuel economy is fairly good, depreciation will be negligible.

Mark64
18-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Hi & welcome, don't dismiss the twin sided swingarm bikes, especially the 900s - they have so much more character (gotta love that dry clutch rattle!) and are way quicker than the 800s, all the air cooled bikes are easy & fairly cheap to maintain - I had one for 10 years. Good luck with your search & happy monstering - Mark.

smiffyraf1
18-01-2016, 07:15 PM
what he said /\

smiffyraf1
18-01-2016, 07:19 PM
i still cannot believe the blue un from nottingham finished the other day with no bids?! 2k was a bargain. its an 's' not a standard 900! you need to drop him a message offer him 1700 with which you will be committing a crime! i am not affiliated with the bike just was very tempted http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Monster-900-/291658504573?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=g%252BqkG%252FujvzGVrqDGwPfY3KXOr1c%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Darren69
18-01-2016, 07:21 PM
The double swingarm is a fair bit lighter than the steel single sider as well being ally, so they handle better too! Looks can be deceiving :)

Darren69
18-01-2016, 07:24 PM
i still cannot believe the blue un from nottingham finished the other day with no bids?! 2k was a bargain. its an 's' not a standard 900! you need to drop him a message offer him 1700 with which you will be committing a crime! i am not affiliated with the bike just was very tempted http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Monster-900-/291658504573?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=g%252BqkG%252FujvzGVrqDGwPfY3KXOr1c%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I had 1800 on it the last time it was on and was the highest bidder until the last few minutes. it went for 2k-2.2k IIRC. I was already making my excuses for buying another bke. I think the blue may be put a few off? Great looking bike though.

smiffyraf1
18-01-2016, 07:29 PM
I like the blue and white. Its different. Was it a factory colour? Well that 2.2 bidder must not have paid as it only ended the other day with no bids!

Darren69
18-01-2016, 07:34 PM
No it was on a few months back, before xmas so I don't know if its the original seller or the last buyer selling it on with the original picures. No that colour is not standard so its a bespoke jobbie, but it maybe should have been one, Would look better with the wheels done white too or gloss black. Like you say an S so it has all the right goodies.
If its local to me I could put myself out and go take a look if anyone is even remotely interested?