PDA

View Full Version : M900 starting problems

mike king
16-01-2016, 02:10 PM
My M900 runs like a dream when being used but when sat in the garage after a couple weeks it won't start . I have trickle charge on battery and she turns over fine but won't start . Have to remove plugs and clean and try a few times then all ok . Any advice please to sort this problem when bike is not used often .

Dirty
16-01-2016, 02:34 PM
The fuel in the floats evaporates or trickles out, 1 of the 2. The vacuum pump doesn't work brilliantly unless the engine is running. Those 2 factors make it hard to start if left for too long. I used to start mine every 2 weeks, I set a reminder on my phone to do so. It seemed the optimum time and would start after a few seconds of turning over. There are ways of manually filling the floats as well but I couldn't be arsed with all that. If it got left more than 2 weeks I used to just sit on the starter button until it eventually started. Not mechanically sympathetic I know but .....

mike king
16-01-2016, 02:37 PM
Thanks for that gonna try new plugs in the morning to see if starts then will programme my phone

mike king
16-01-2016, 02:48 PM
Have you done a tail chop on M900 and what kit did you use .Thanks

Nasher
16-01-2016, 04:59 PM
It does sound like the fuel evaporating, my M900 does exactly the same thing and it's very frustrating.

I know the real answer is to use it more often, but I can't always.

I didn't know there were ways to manually persuade fuel into the bowls, can you elaborate?

The lack of 'ticklers' is a pain.

Nasher.

Flip
17-01-2016, 09:55 AM
A couple of years ago I fitted a Motobatt battery which did help a bit but at the beginning of last year I decided to give my '97 900 a thorough refresh and while doing so I replaced all the ground links (including the regulator/rectifier) with some that I made up at work using layers of coated copper braid (used for High Voltage grounds in extreme weather applications) terminated with sealed connections (someone on here is still selling something similar I believe).

You would not believe the difference!! I can now leave my bike for a month and it fires up almost instantly- none of that huffing and puffing as it tries to fill the carbs before squirting fuel into the cylinders to fire.

Flip
17-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Nasher- empty your pm matey!!

Nasher
17-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Nasher- empty your pm matey!!

Emptied.:)

Nasher

Goofle
17-01-2016, 05:43 PM
I've had to leave my M900 for over six months now (I refer to my 'living in a cardboard box' location). That's not boding well when I get a residence less drafty to call home...