PDA

View Full Version : Head stock bearings

Ron1000
14-01-2016, 06:37 PM
Towards the end of the season last year I got a puncture, whilst in for that I was told and shown that the headstock bearings are gone.

I ca feel the notch myself once I knew what to look for. But only 4500 miles on the clock…abit mistified tbf. Anybody had similar issues.

garry
14-01-2016, 06:59 PM
I don't have enough experience to speak for ducati...... but Aprilia apply that Lil grease to everything it must be made from genuine snake oil..

slob
15-01-2016, 06:21 AM
A small proportion of bearings will always fail prematurely, it's part of producing vehicles to a price, you could just be unlucky.

Ron1000
15-01-2016, 08:42 AM
A small proportion of bearings will always fail prematurely, it's part of producing vehicles to a price, you could just be unlucky.

Yep I asked the mechanic and he said similar, bad batch or fitted badly etc. It's going in for the work soon (would've been earlier but didn't have time). Any ideas on cost?

Darkness
15-01-2016, 08:53 AM
A bad batch, or fitted badly, could raise questions of merchantable quality, though that would also depend on how old they are and where/when the bike has been serviced.
Worth asking whether it's covered by Ducati as a warranty repair though?

slob
15-01-2016, 09:03 AM
I suspect any dealer will say 'service item, not a warranty job' but it's always worth asking.
I'd expect £20-40 for the bearings and a couple of hours labour (just a guess)

Ron1000
15-01-2016, 01:34 PM
It's going in for the bearings, new front tyre, mot and service. The bearings will probably be the cheapest part of the bill lol.

I'll email my ducati dealer but I'm kind of losing faith in them, I suspect that my side stand switch issue is due to water ingress.....like for example when said Ducati dealer jet washes the bikes after doing work to them.

Darren69
15-01-2016, 02:18 PM
If you want taper roller bearings you may have to tell them as the standard parts are ball bearing type, at least on the older models.

The Ducati bearings are also about twice the price of what you normally pay!

utopia
15-01-2016, 04:00 PM
I'm not saying it IS connected but jet washing wouldn't be kind to the headstock bearings either.

Ron1000
15-01-2016, 04:21 PM
Ahh good point didn't think of that

fastnfat
21-01-2016, 06:48 PM
It's going in for the bearings, new front tyre, mot and service. The bearings will probably be the cheapest part of the bill lol.

I'll email my ducati dealer but I'm kind of losing faith in them, I suspect that my side stand switch issue is due to water ingress.....like for example when said Ducati dealer jet washes the bikes after doing work to them.

Ron,
Just on the sidestand switch. I've had one of those fail but it was nothing to do with water ingress though. It was to do with where the cable enters the switch, the wires are attached to a small curcuit board which exits the switch at that point. Mine was broken at that point. Not sure what had caused it but Ducati have changed the replacement part number so I'm guessing they may have changed the spec also. Anyway £45 lighter and it works as it should!