PDA

View Full Version : How do I tell the diference?.....

Tcturbo
09-01-2016, 12:47 AM
I am looking at a monster 1995 tomorrow which although officially a 650 apparently it is a 750 having had a replacement engine under warranty how can I tell?......please .....

popelli
09-01-2016, 06:44 AM
650 is extremely rare

officially only made in 600 750 900 in 1995

if it is a 750 motor it should have 750 engine numbers

somebody will know what these are

replacement engine under warranty - there should be paperwork to confirm this

Darren69
09-01-2016, 08:11 AM
in '95 it was only 600 and 900. 750 was first introduced as a new model in '96 basically its a 750SS engine so it would have originally had an oil cooler the 600 did not otherwise the are visually almost identical. Someone will probably be able to advise you on the engine type number designation used, I can tell you the format:- ZDM 916 W 4D ∗000001∗ where (ZDM is the make = Ducati)
916 W 4D = Type (916 W 4D this is for an S4 Monster)
000001 is the engine sequential number unique for each engine.

So you'll need to find out what the Type is for 600 and 750 engines.
With the sequence number you can then tell what year the engine was made.

Darren69
09-01-2016, 08:15 AM
More info here:-

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-8035.html

Mr Gazza
09-01-2016, 11:29 AM
I have never heard of a 650 Monster, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
Personally I would suspect a vivid imagination on the part of the seller, or a typo on the log book...either a 6 instead of a 7 or a 5 inplace of a 0.....Check the log book.
Also dial the reg number into a quote form on an online insurance site, and see what that drops down as the model.
Run both the frame and engine numbers past DVLA to see if they are stolen too.

I would be procceding with caution, but something a bit quirky is always worth following as it could turn out to be something very interesting or, if you're lucky it might be something better than described.

I had heard of the Pantah engine in 650 form, which I think went into the Pantah, Alazzura and Elefant.
I always reconise a Pantah engine by the belt drive and forward facing rear exhaust. At some point the rear head was reversed and to my mind was then no longer a Pantah.

Here is a 650 Ducati...Pantah, Elefant mutant with reversed head from 1987...Not one of these is it?
http://i64.tinypic.com/29wym9.jpg

Darren69
09-01-2016, 11:40 AM
I have never heard of a 650 Monster, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
Personally I would suspect a vivid imagination on the part of the seller, or a typo on the log book...either a 6 instead of a 7 or a 5 inplace of a 0.....Check the log book.
Also dial the reg number into a quote form on an online insurance site, and see what that drops down as the model.
Run both the frame and engine numbers past DVLA to see if they are stolen too.

I would be procceding with caution, but something a bit quirky is always worth following as it could turn out to be something very interesting or, if you're lucky it might be something better than described.

I had heard of the Pantah engine in 650 form, which I think went into the Pantah, Alazzura and Elefant.
I always reconise a Pantah engine by the belt drive and forward facing rear exhaust. At some point the rear head was reversed and to my mind was then no longer a Pantah.

Here is a 650 Ducati...Pantah, Elefant mutant with reversed head from 1987...Not one of these is it?
http://i64.tinypic.com/29wym9.jpg

Yes, They never made a production 650 monster as far as I know, for Europe it was 600 and 900 in '94 and then 750 in '96. I think they made 650 Pantah,Indiana the Cagiva Allazura in the mid to late eighties all had the same engine. Isn't that an Indiana in your pic above?

Mr Gazza
09-01-2016, 11:45 AM
Yep that's an Indiana...The clue is on the side panel..;)

The more I think about it the more I think it is a typo in the OP..??

I still think that an engine change under Ducati warranty is far fetched though..

jerry
09-01-2016, 12:17 PM
Never has been a monster or SS with a 650 engine ever ,,,, something definitly not correct !!!!

utopia
09-01-2016, 12:45 PM
My yr2000 750 monster has engine number .... ZDM748A2C-XXXXXX ... where the Xs are the 6-digit individual engine I.D. numbers, here hidden for security.
Last two digits are 20, presumably denoting its yr2000 manufacturing date.
Number is located on LH side of crankcases, below the drive sprocket area.

Another tell-tale might be that 750s (monsters at least, dunno about other Ducati models eg SS)) were fitted with oil coolers while 600s were not.
Though I guess its still possible to leave the cooler off, or indeed add one to a 600.

Ducati engine swap under warranty sounds unlikely, though I guess its possible.
Local dealer warranty work sounds perhaps more feasible ... in which case the possibilities are endless as to exactly what they fitted.
Personally, if I was fitting a replacement engine, I would retain the purchase receipt and pass it on to the new owner.
Without this I would be a tad suspicious.

slob
09-01-2016, 01:33 PM
caveat emptor

... ZDM748A2C-XXXXXX ...

ZDM = Ducati
748 = capacity
A2 = aircooled, 2 valve (W4 for kettles)

Tcturbo
09-01-2016, 01:36 PM
Thanks for all your help and redirects......I live in France and also the uk......so the confusion comes from my translation of bike models in France. The bike I rode and bought today in France is a 750 monster but was a 600/650 before a major engine problem resulted in the motor change. It rides and pulls way beyond a 600/650 and I love it. The provenance is good and gives me confidence. So much easier to ride than my previous ST2. It dives into corners a bit and I can't see sod all in the tiny aftermarket mirrors....but hey mirrors can be changed and tyre pressures checked and even steering bearings replaced......it is 20 yrs old after all......wish I was!!!!

Smile factor 110%

Now I will continue my search in the uk for another 750 monster to stay in the uk.....watch this space

ps.....the turning circle is ****e.....as everybody says........hey ho

Thanks again.

Good riding

Darren69
09-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Just found this on another Duc forum:-

ZDM = Ducati, 916 = 916cc capacity, W = water-cooled, 4 = 4 Valves

ZDM 904A2C 000001 means 904 = 904cc A = air-cooled, 2 = 2 valve, C = carburated

So it looks like yours has the right engine in Jeff! :)

I haven't yet found any info on the last 2 digits being the year. I may have to check mine now :look:

Nickj
09-01-2016, 06:34 PM
LOL Tc turning circle and monster don't go together.
Shove the bike down, turn it in hard and you can usually easily turn in a 2 lane road.
The 750 is a nice size engine wise, all these motors are really tough as long as you look after them.
Enjoy :)

Tcturbo
09-01-2016, 07:07 PM
What a difference 16 psi (1 bar over 'ere ) makes....front and rear....brill brill brill.......now I just need to find a decent workshop manual.....assuming the owners handbook (which I don't have) is close to useless.
Can't ride next four days........rain rain and more rain...hey ho

Anybody know what the mph per 100rpm in 5th might be ......for a 750....and is it different for a 600/620/650?

Also need a pair of standard mirrors....any chances.....?

or is the wrong forum thread?

Smiley Tcturbo

slob
09-01-2016, 07:18 PM
... Anybody know what the mph per 100rpm in 5th might be ......for a 750....and is it different for a 600/620/650? ...

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Mr Gazza
09-01-2016, 08:02 PM
I find that 32psi front and 36psi rear works best.

Congratulations on your new bike...:thumbsup:

Assuming that's it in your new avatar?..Any bigger pics?

Liking your Gold wheels and frame..Not sure about black forks?

The black engine might imply that it came from a SS...Don't think that Monster engines were supplied in Black, but SS were.
SS and Monster 750s' were in slightly different states of tune. As far as I know this was done with the carbs and possibly gearing, but the engines are all the same?....Shouldn't make any difference unless you need to do any work on the carbs.

Did you manage to get in touch with steeev2 about his 750?

Flip
09-01-2016, 09:57 PM
Raise the back up and pull the forks through the yokes a bit (if not already done) and you'll be surprised how nimble they can feel without the horrible under-steer of the standard set up. Tyre choice can also play a huge part in this.

As for turning circles- just hoof it over!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH9qZ3gSPFA

utopia
10-01-2016, 08:31 PM
I ran 33psi front, 36 rear for ages, but upped it to 34/38 this year and was surprised to find that ...
a) I could detect it
and b) it was a noticeable improvement.
This is on my 750.

Also, on the subject of gearing ....
I find, after 8yrs pondering it, that the 750 really needs to go down a tooth on the rear sprocket.
This is totally contrary to the usual mod of fitting a smaller front sprocket, but I think that the 5 speed 750 is a special case and needs this in order to keep the revs down at faster cruising speeds.
I imagine the 6 speed 750ie is fine.
And I should say, I personally enjoy long gearing but some find it a pain around town (hence the usual small front sprocket mod).
I haven't verified all this yet but I'm convinced enough to have ordered a 40T rear with my new wheels, to replace the std 41T.
Btw, I tried a 43T rear and hated it ... felt like overstressing the engine on fast roads, particularly in fast company.

Tcturbo
14-01-2016, 06:36 PM
Interesting....let me know how you get on please.....