PDA

View Full Version : Inconel?

MerlinPV12
07-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Has anyone had experience of using Inconel for a custom complete exhaust system? I'd be interested in wall thickness used and any issues overall?
Thanks all

slob
07-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Ask BigOz
http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showpost.php?p=521534&postcount=33

BigOz
07-01-2016, 08:21 PM
I've been experimenting but haven't made anything useful yet, just mucking about with it to get experience handling the material.

From reasearch I did exhausts seem to use 0.8mm to 0.5mm wall in Inconel 625 depending on position in the system and the strength required.

From my experimentation it work hardens quite a lot and it is one of the more tricky metals I've tried to weld, the puddle is sluggish, it seems to retain local heat and gives little warning before it collapses and you blow a hole.

I couldn't find a small amount of tube to experiment with so I got some sheet and rolled my own.

Just the plain sheet is expensive, tube or bends are available to order from Goodfabs with a minimum order of £250 I'm guessing that would get you about a metre to metre and a half of tube at bike diameters.

Filler wire is tricky to find in reasonable quantities (easier in full 5kg packs) it is also expensive at about £300 for a 5kg pack.

Andy

MerlinPV12
07-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Thanks Andy, top notch advice as always!