PDA

View Full Version : M600 Monster battery not charging

sram
07-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Hi all

My new M600 has now conked out twice on me, completely giving up the ghost due to a flat battery. Both times I've connected a freshly charged battery and it's been fine for another couple of hours before doing the same thing. I have followed the flow chart in the document:

https://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

and can't seem to work out what's going on. The reading on my meter with the engine idling is about 13 volts and when revving the engine to what to me sounds like about 5000rpm it's in the high 14s (haven't seen it go up to 15 though, so I think that's fine).
How can it be that the battery is not charging even though the alternator is kicking out the required voltage? I guess it could be an intermittent problem that doesn't manifest itself while the bike is stationary in my garage?

Both batteries that I've tried are almost new.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I can't ride the bike at the moment because I don't know if I'll make it home :D

Thanks
Stuart

slob
07-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Sounds like your Reg/Rec is cooked.
Where are you measuring the alternator voltage?

assuming from your avatar you have the older 2 wire alternator http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR51.html

Darren69
07-01-2016, 01:32 PM
Are you measuring voltage across the battery terminals when running the engine? If so 13-14v DC sounds fine, the rectifier part is working fine as long as it doesn't go any higher than 14v then the regulator is working ok too.

What is the voltage across the battery with everything off and when the ignition on and when pressing the starter?

What kind of battery is it? Lead/acid or AGM sealed?

utopia
07-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Reg/rec failure is very common.
The Achilles heel seems to be the multiconnector from alternator to reg/rec (yellow wires, either 3 or 2 depending on whether you have 3-phase alternator or earlier single-phase type respectively, like Slob says).
It would be good to check that this connector is absolutely perfect.
Many folk hard wire the reg/rec with bullet crimps or solder (mine is), though an upgrade connector is available too.
As a start, I would certainly treble check this connector though.

There's useful info on this thread too .....

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=46708&highlight=fried

If you have a "liquid" battery, is there any sign of boiling over/ acid discharge ?

sram
07-01-2016, 02:09 PM
Thanks both. Will double check connector and also report back on voltage with everything off and when pressing starter. Yes, voltage measured across battery terminals.
R/R was reportedly recently replaced with a used original by the previous owner due to overcharging. He says he recently completed a 200 mile trip with no issues whatsoever. Told me that before replacement, output was 16 volts, had it replaced and all fine at circa 14.
Got a wet battery, no sign of acid spill (thank god, the other bike has it all over the frame :( ). Ordered a Motobatt, but ukmail are being numpties so haven't got it yet. Will feel so much safer once a sealed battery is installed.

Cheers

Flip
07-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Does it go flat only when you're riding or when it's parked up with everything off too?
Do you have any hard wired accessories such as an alarm or heated grips?

sram
07-01-2016, 05:11 PM
No accessories. Have only owned it a few days so unsure if it goes flat when parked up :D
The two occasions it's happened I've been on long rides. One was bringing it home and it conked out a couple of hours into the journey (unbelievably as I pulled into a parking space at the service station!) and then two nights ago I was on my way home from work and since changing the battery over I had only ridden it for a short trip down the road and back and then to work in the morning, so probably almost exactly two hours of running before it died.

Flip
07-01-2016, 05:33 PM
Ok- when you've measured the voltage at 5k rpm (ish) have you had the lights on?
If not measure it again with them on and see if it's the same 14-15v

utopia
07-01-2016, 05:37 PM
I'm no electrician but ....
The regulator part of the reg/rec essentially works by converting excess electrical energy to heat.
So, it gets hot.
So, maybe its breaking down when its hot.
Just a thought ... might be a red herring.
I do note though that the previous owner fitted a USED reg/rec ... I would be a tad suspicious of any used one tbh.

Scott1
07-01-2016, 06:02 PM
I had my reg/rec moved the front near the airbox to keep it cool, it was under the seat, been there for a couple of years, so far so good.

Dirty
07-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Yeah, 'used' reg rec is no comfort!

Unit 18
08-01-2016, 07:23 AM
I have come across several reg-rects that fail when hot, it's worth running it at home until everything is nice and hot, then rechecking the voltage.

utopia
08-01-2016, 08:10 AM
It is possible to test the reg/rec function alone if you have a diode test facility on your meter.
However, my first one passed that test (and the system passed all the other tests too) but the charging system was still faulty somewhere.
A new reg/rec cured it though, so I reckon mine was probably breaking down when hot.

Btw, I'm guessing that yours is fixed in the more common location below the headstock (in cool air) rather than under the seat .... but so was mine and it still failed.

sram
08-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Thanks! Itching to get out to the garage but between the freezing temperatures, rain and being away this weekend I think it's going to have to wait until Sunday evening or Monday :( So frustrating having it there and not being able to touch it!

sram
16-01-2016, 09:23 PM
I've swapped regs over, from the project monster to the new one. So far so good on my mammoth almost two hour 15 mile journey around the north circ last night. Commuting hell, I can only imagine how long it would've taken in the car. Low engine speed and lights on all the way, so quite a strain for the charging system and battery.
Did an hour and twenty on the way to work yesterday and it showed no hesitation in firing up this morning. Hoping to go for a ride tomorrow if the weather isn't too bad.

If it does turn out that the reg swap proves the reg is at fault, what's the best move? Looking at genuine Shindengen regs, they are quite pricey at about £70 (plenty of pattern parts on eBay for £25 but I don't think I'd trust one). Plus I then need all the various bits of wiring and connectors. Are the electrex ones as good as the Shindengen ones and where do they sit in the hierarchy compared to a Ducati one? The Electrex ones appeal as I believe they are truly plug and play with no mods required?
Do both Shindengen and Electrex mods enable the dash charging warning lights? (Not that I've bloody seen that light even when my battery has clearly been failing to charge!)

Thanks