PDA

View Full Version : Trickle charger recommendation

simontt
25-12-2015, 02:49 AM
My battery died 3 weeks after last use, rather than calling RAC to restart, I would like to get a trickle charger for my M1100 evo, is there any recommendations for a good value and reliable one? Will it switch off automatically once the charge is full?

There is already a connector fitted by the supplying dealer.

Nickj
25-12-2015, 09:17 AM
Any of the multiphase chargers will do, they will run through a charge cycle then drop down to a low trickle, typically they don't shut down completely.

Lidls did one that internally was a clone of a much more expensive model and used the same charging cycles and has float/pulse charging. The cost savings came from the less flexible mains, charging leads and less flash casing.
If you are leaving it on the bike chop the mains plug off and fit an RCD unit or use an RCD socket just incase!!

The CTEK ones should be good, look for the MXS 3 up which start around £50.

Darren69
25-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Or Optimate are good too. I've had mine for 15 years or more so its not the latest but it still works great for lead/acid or AGM batteries and has got me out of trouble a couple of times with deep discharged lead acid batteries when I used them on my bikes and recovered them which saved me buying a new battery.

Funkatronic
25-12-2015, 12:38 PM
CTEK are great

mxs 3.8 or 5 are the ones to go for

Nickj
25-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Or of course there is another option ..... you could use the bike

Not too cold or wet today and the pleasure/peril of living alone is you can do more or less what you want... Just back from a foray into wales :)
Now better get busy, got to cook as gf's round to eat in way less time than I actually need :eek: .... feel a bit of a menu conversion coming on

Dirty
25-12-2015, 08:41 PM
You could always combine with a 7 day timer socket if you want to make sure it switches completely off.

SteveG
25-12-2015, 09:25 PM
*Used the entry level Accumate for many years on Triumph, 750ss and Monster with Lead and Gel Batteries without problem. Less than £50 for the latest incarnation. Always plugged in to on-bike fitted connector whenever garaged.

maxxjod
26-12-2015, 05:59 PM
Having tried most types of maintenance chargers over the years both personally and professionally I can't recommend the Ctek chargers enough, optimate chargers were my choice of charger for years and then I came across and tried Ctek chargers. You only need to look at the OEM's that use or recommend Ctek for use on their products for an idea of their quality.

utopia
27-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Since you'll be needing a new battery anyway, there is another option if you fancy a lightweight Lithium ion jobbie.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=53020&highlight=lithium

You would need to satisfy yourself over the various issues surrounding lithium batteries of course.
I dithered for a couple of years, but have recently taken the plunge.