PDA

View Full Version : Maxxis Supermaxx Sport - Opinions?

Yorkie
21-12-2015, 11:35 PM
I'm looking for a new set of tyres for my Monster upgrade and I am looking at a set of Maxxis tyres:

Maxxis Supermaxx Sport MAPS

120/70 17
190/55 17

Has anyone used these?

Cheers,

Yorkie

Nickj
22-12-2015, 10:17 AM
I've used these and the tour version which is the same carcass but with less sticky rubber, I'd give then at least 4 stars. I'd go 5 if they were multi-compound. When they bought these into the UK they used to be a real steal at sub £100 for a pair.
They warm up quickly even on sub zero days
They are predictable in really rubbish conditions, snow, ice, heavy surface water and in the dry
Never had any issues with the tour or sport versions
I got about 6K out of the back on the softer sport before it got too squirrely for me.

Who was it who tried the diamonds on his S4?? As I remember no issues there either.

Go for it...

Yorkie
22-12-2015, 10:30 AM
Cheers for that, at £148 delivered I thought they were a good deal.

Yorkie

Flip
24-12-2015, 02:06 PM
A mate of mine ran them on his WR400 supermoto with OK results I think although he did have the rear kick out and have him off but that was probably down to him arsing about more than fault of the tyres though.
Although personally I'm not sure I would go so oversize on the rear as a 190 section really needs a 6'' rim to fit properly.

Yorkie
24-12-2015, 02:11 PM
I am already running a 190 and have had no issues at all. Great handling and no clearance problems.

I think I will give these a shot, they will be okay whilst I'm breaking in the 944 on my project.

Yorkie

Saint aka ML
25-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Ok so few years back I would give them 5/5 but last year or so their quality is going down.

Original Maxxis tyre lasted 6k+ miles on rear on m900. Last year one I used lasted 6k to wires on m695!!

Front got bulges, twice I might add. I think now that they feel they are established they dropped quality.

I have used both types super sport and touring versions. Never used Diamond.

urbanfireblade
18-02-2016, 09:35 AM
I've used maxis supermaxx tires on bikes that came with them when purchased and I was very impressed in wet and dry because their prices are about 30% cheaper than the main brand tires like Michelin road 4's etc. They do wear quicker but still work out great value with still decent grip in all weathers.

paynep
19-02-2016, 02:06 PM
Had a set on my 620 Sport when I got it. I didn't like them as for me they had little feel in the cold/wet with stock suspension and stuck on some of my ex-DD Dunlops as they give me far more feedback.

But tyres are a personal thing, I think if you avoid anything budget and have sorted suspension they all work. The softer/stickier a tyre, the more it can compensate for suspension quality and rider ability, hence my use of the Dunlops on both counts!!