PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Discounts

SteveG
17-12-2015, 09:24 PM
Anyone had any success at negotiating a dealer discount on a new model Monster at all and if so what % or £'s did you manage?
I tend to be useless at haggling when it comes to bikes and cars.. I always set out with strong will and the right intention of walking away if I can't get a deal but somehow I never do ...

Mr Gazza
17-12-2015, 09:39 PM
Yeah!.....I've saved the whole price of a new Monster..:biggrin:

By just keeping my old one.

SteveG
17-12-2015, 09:50 PM
Haha... I plan to keep the existing as well ( if She who Rules can be swayed) but having tried the latest incarnations I have to say also tempted with shiny and new.

slob
17-12-2015, 10:22 PM
I've got a funny feeling they're not allowed to discount new bikes, unless the rules have changed recently, but can give away kit, accessories, trackday places etc. instead.

SunEye
18-12-2015, 10:54 AM
A retailer can sell a product at whatever price they want to. A manufacturer or supplier cannot dictate what price a retailer sells their product for. That would be price fixing which is illegal and can get the company fined in the UK up to 10% of its worldwide turnover. Often a retailer will choose not to advertise a lower than RRP price so as not to upset the manufacturer (or because they are scared of the manufacturer) who doesn't like their product being sold cheaply because it devalues the brand.

However that doesn't stop companies threatening retailers that they will withdraw their supply of goods if the retailer doesn't do what they want e.g. display the products how they want, sell the complete range of products, hold a certain amount of stock, sell a specific number of items each quarter, etc. Basically everything other than telling them what price to sell the products at.

In a single manufacturer motorcycle dealership some of those things can be quite reasonable and I suspect would be covered by a contract. In the business that I'm more familiar with (music instrument retail) it can be ridiculous for a shop that stocks thousands of items from dozens of manufacturers to be told by a distributor where their products must be positioned in your shop and to have a distributor force you to take products that you know won't sell to your customers because otherwise they won't let you sell the big selling items that they supply you.

Saint aka ML
18-12-2015, 12:53 PM
Well they did not budge of a price of my New Hypermotard :)

Yes I am gloating as picking it up tomorrow.

slob
18-12-2015, 01:28 PM
pikes peak?

tricolore
18-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Depends on whether you want brand new or a pre registered with 4 miles on the clock, there's some good deals on those at the moment. Or there's some ex demo's, again some of them have only done 2 - 300 miles, that's what i'd go for. This time of year you must get a discount, and if you're local dealer won't give you anything shop around.

SteveG
18-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Depends on whether you want brand new or a pre registered with 4 miles on the clock, there's some good deals on those at the moment. Or there's some ex demo's, again some of them have only done 2 - 300 miles, that's what i'd go for. This time of year you must get a discount, and if you're local dealer won't give you anything shop around.
That's certainly one of my considerations... I'm also thinking a free set of Termi's on a 1200s isn't bad either.. Haggling hat on I think and a visit to Reading,Winchester and Alton on the cards this week and next.....

jerry
18-12-2015, 04:22 PM
In Thailand NO dealer for cars or motorcycles will ever give any discount ,, as a test my mate went in to buy a toyota corolla car the dealer price was 650,000 baht about £16,000 the same model sold in UK sells with discount for as low as £13,000,,he waved 600,000 baht cash is 4 dealers faces and they all refused ...I tried it to on new Honda motorcycle for my wife ,, no deal ,, the big difference is that the dealers here all work on 40% mark ups on sales , and they just will not do any deals ..yhey actually are happy to lose sales ..

slob
18-12-2015, 05:19 PM
losing sales may be better than losing money if they have tight margins

Saint aka ML
18-12-2015, 07:20 PM
I tried haggling, I did get a 14t sprocket and tank protector lol

Uh plus 1h charge for disassembling forks, changing cartridges and reassembling at next service.

Ex-demo bikes are a great find if you are going to buy them cash or personal loan.

On PCP 13% APR on 400 mile monster 821, 6.9% APR on brand new.

Over 3y period of the deal less then 500GBP difference.

jerry
24-12-2015, 04:26 AM

yeah but compared to UK the margins in thailand are massive ,, UK dealers work on 10-20% margins ...

buzzbomb
24-12-2015, 01:59 PM

As Rob says margins are not that good but if you do do a deal I think it should be between you as a customer and the salesman and not for common knowledge.

Dirty
24-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Aside from profit per bike dealers get financial incentives to shift numbers per month/quarter, which is often the reason for pre regs as manufacturers count registrations rather than receipts.

SteveG
28-12-2015, 06:20 PM
Well...
After much dribbling and several wallet hovering "shall I or shan't I" moments .....

I have decided to stick with my '96/7 M900...

...and splash some dosh on Maxton front end, new chain and sprockets, discs and pads, sticky rubber and a dose of general fettling and tweaking...What helped swing it was taking advantage of the time off at Xmas coinciding with the unusually mild weather and empty-ish roads over Xmas to get several tank fulls of soul-searching winter solitude miles in and the conclusion was....... Nah..... I don't really need anything else. For now anyway...
( and no- I didn't get any decent discount offers)..