PDA

View Full Version : The right formula. Must be a monster thing

Bradders
08-12-2015, 08:03 PM
Met a couple of members last week, had met before but still not for a while, and it strikes me that I've never met a 'bad one' from ukmoc nor do you get the forum crap other places get.

Dont know what you are doing right here, but keep doing it :)

Dirty
08-12-2015, 08:38 PM
It's something we put in the tea :mand:

Albie
08-12-2015, 09:09 PM
It's all an act . Actually after 11 years I wouldn't be without the club.

jerry
09-12-2015, 12:49 AM
Bradders , you have not met me yet ,,, Im the club idiot .... EEEEK!!!!!!!

slob
09-12-2015, 11:40 AM
That's nice to hear Paul.

(even though I already knew Monstering was the right path)

alan c
09-12-2015, 12:58 PM
We are all Special :mand:

Grumpy
09-12-2015, 07:14 PM
We are all Special :mand:

Very special !:freak:

utopia
09-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Oh, I dunno.
The first member I ever met walked up to me and said straight away that he was grumpy. :grump:
:)

Yorkie
09-12-2015, 09:43 PM
This is a fantastic club, with accepting people and a good sense of humour. More importantly it is propably the most user friendly and accessible club on the net, with members willing to assist at every turn. The only way this can happen is with a superb level of leadership (Rob) and like minded people to help expand the club nation wide.

Yorkie

jerry
10-12-2015, 05:42 AM
If Heineken did Monster clubs it would be this one

jonzi
10-12-2015, 08:13 AM
All this club needs is a GPI (and perhaps a facebook page) and it would be the awesomest

slob
10-12-2015, 08:16 AM
We need to find a 'digital rep' for @rsebook and tweeter
My main worry is that since the forum IS social media too, the others could over dilute it

alan c
10-12-2015, 08:20 AM
The Club and Forum is great as it is.

We don't need Bookface and Twater :thumbsdown::look:

jonzi
10-12-2015, 08:23 AM
We need to find a 'digital rep' for @rsebook and tweeter
My main worry is that since the forum IS social media too, the others could over dilute it

I'd suggest the person that is on it the most, JP, but with Thuli correcting his grammar.

utopia
10-12-2015, 09:34 AM
I used to run a vegetarian wholefood shop and café.
It always seemed that the door acted as a sort of filter, with only the nice people crossing the threshold.
This was because of the nature of the business, which only attracted a certain kind of customer.
Tis the same with monsters ... it takes a certain kind of person to fully appreciate the enduring qualities of the v-twin desmo design and not be tempted away by more complex and flashy alternatives.
This same common sense (and The Passion) is what makes the forum special.

I agree that facebook poses the threat of dilution and therefore I never use it myself.

Darren69
10-12-2015, 10:15 AM
I used to run a vegetarian wholefood shop and café.
It always seemed that the door acted as a sort of filter, with only the nice people crossing the threshold.
This was because of the nature of the business, which only attracted a certain kind of customer.
Tis the same with monsters ... it takes a certain kind of person to fully appreciate the enduring qualities of the v-twin desmo design and not be tempted away by more complex and flashy alternatives.
This same common sense (and The Passion) is what makes the forum special.

I agree that facebook poses the threat of dilution and therefore I never use it myself.

I agree, I don't think we need Facebook or any other 'trendy' social media sites, there will be so much cr@p being posted.

slob
10-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Actually the only person who aggressively tried to promote FB on here was a member of another club who seemed to be trying to actively undermine this one.

To misquote Paul Muad'Dib: The club is the forum, the forum is the club (apologies to Frank Herbert)

BarnBrian
10-12-2015, 10:56 AM
I had an FB years ago (Francis Barnet) and that was crap.
GPI? I assume is General Pigeon Interface, definitely the way to go, just tie a note round your pigeons leg and send it off.

Brian

jonzi
10-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Both my suggestions were tongue in cheek.

I think the club is good as is it.

And thanks Bradders, was good to see you too. Shame you weren't riding.

J.P
10-12-2015, 11:02 AM
I'd suggest the person that is on it the most, JP, but with Thuli correcting his grammar.

Theres no need to just limit it to Thuli...

But I also have no digital skills

Darkness
10-12-2015, 11:11 AM
.......I also have no digital skills

Isn't that the main pre-requisite for the role?

😎

slob
10-12-2015, 11:17 AM
I had an FB years ago (Francis Barnet) and that was crap.
GPI? I assume is General Pigeon Interface, definitely the way to go, just tie a note round your pigeons leg and send it off.

Brian

Brilliant! PMSL

BarnBrian
10-12-2015, 11:31 AM
You just need to be careful that the pigeons don't get a virus!!!

utopia
10-12-2015, 01:22 PM
It wasn't General Pigeon.
..... it was Lieutenant.
:look:

BarnBrian
10-12-2015, 01:56 PM
Have you been at those mushrooms again Utopia.
That roundabout didn't exist when I started working offshore out of Aberdeen.

utopia
10-12-2015, 02:41 PM
Nope. I never dabbled more than once or twice.
But when they're all over the roundabout on the way into town you're almost duty bound to honour their presence.

smiffyraf1
10-12-2015, 03:06 PM
i couldnt agree more. the best forum/club ive ever been part however i do agree that a facebook presence would be useful even if its just for people to have quick and easy access to say last minute ride outs. etc.

slob
11-12-2015, 10:17 AM
There must be a convenient way of publishing this info for members without doing the whole bookface thing though.

Nasher
11-12-2015, 10:59 AM
I belong to a few forums for different things and agree this forum is up there at the top with regard to content and general community feel.

Don’t do, or intend to do, Facebook, and would miss out on any content solely posted on there rather than become another FB Statistic.

Nasher.

slob
11-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Now is a good time to shout, or pm me if you prefer, about this (sorry for the hijack Bradders) as we've been looking at a couple of technical issues with the forum and will likely have to run some updates/make some changes soon (apologies for the slight hiccup we caused overnight).
Also if any members with computer admin skills would like to get more involved, feel free to pm me.

Dukedesmo
11-12-2015, 11:42 AM
I belong to a few forums for different things and agree this forum is up there at the top with regard to content and general community feel.

Don’t do, or intend to do, Facebook, and would miss out on any content solely posted on there rather than become another FB Statistic.

Nasher.

My sentiments entirely.

jerry
11-12-2015, 02:06 PM
The main problem with face ache is its not private or anonymous ,,,

smiffyraf1
11-12-2015, 02:07 PM
you can make a group private and invite only

utopia
11-12-2015, 02:09 PM
But then its a closed thing rather than open to all monster owners ... which is why its diluting.

smiffyraf1
11-12-2015, 02:22 PM
well not necessarily. it would be an extension of this forum. so everyone that was part of the forum would be 'invited' then anyone thats a member could invite someone who is not on the forum but also a monster owner. its not really my shout but when i was on the red arrows team i was part of the team that set up and ran the reds facebook presence after much reluctance from the RAF itself due to worries about spam, messages being posted on the wall etc. and turned out to be a very useful tool and the RAF ended up adopting it for everything. Dont get me wrong the amount of information and lack of privacy in the world is a worry but these are the times we live in and sometimes you have to move with them rather that be like king canute.

crust
11-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Please no Facebook.

It's killed off the forum of my mtb club, it becomes an endless stream of inane garbage and draws traffic away from the forum that slowly dies. The same cr@p over and over again with added dollops of racism and thicksh1ttery.

Technical stuff will get posted on it then lost, the forum contains a mass of information thats still available to everyone.

It's not like you can't get the forum on the phone.

DrD
11-12-2015, 03:52 PM
I thought we had this debate last year when the guy Rob mentioned came on and started demanding changes, before he went back to wherever he came from.
Concensus was no farcebook.

Mr Gazza
11-12-2015, 07:37 PM
I know the facebook chappie that is mentioned, and remember the passionate debate that he caused.
I am also now a member of the club he is in...Their forum is rubbish...because they are all twattering on facebook.

There are also a couple of model aeroplane clubs that I joined with absolute rubbish forums...You can hear the tumbleweeds go by....It's because of thier facebook page.!

There was one forum that I was a sort of founder/admin on. That had a "chatbox" facility on it, which was very popular on some nights. It was great for a live chat with mates, sometimes in different countries...And I don't deny it was quite shallow at times...But didn't dilute it's host forum, if anything it did the opposite.....Now there's an idea?

Dirty
11-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Clearly, from the reaction on this thread, having a FB presence would not affect the forum at all :)

I think it can only be a good thing and would be an addendum to the forum, not a replacement.

DrD
11-12-2015, 09:54 PM
Enough of this I just found out you can get BLACK stainless steel (http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=187)
(says a man with a black with gold + polished alloy M900)

Albie
11-12-2015, 10:04 PM
I know the facebook chappie that is mentioned, and remember the passionate debate that he caused.
I am also now a member of the club he is in...Their forum is rubbish...because they are all twattering on facebook.

There are also a couple of model aeroplane clubs that I joined with absolute rubbish forums...You can hear the tumbleweeds go by....It's because of thier facebook page.!

There was one forum that I was a sort of founder/admin on. That had a "chatbox" facility on it, which was very popular on some nights. It was great for a live chat with mates, sometimes in different countries...And I don't deny it was quite shallow at times...But didn't dilute it's host forum, if anything it did the opposite.....Now there's an idea?

This forum once had a chat room. It got removed. Long time ago that was.

slob
11-12-2015, 11:17 PM
it wasn't terribly good, basically it was just a very anarchic thread