PDA

View Full Version : Fair Weather Faries

TonyG
05-12-2015, 03:39 PM
How many people ride all year round?

I readily admit to riding for fun only nowadays, no more freezing rain sodden riding or commuting for me anymore. However, the kit is so good nowadays that I will venture out if it is very cold but dry. Today wasn't even cold and I got back some sanity by having a lovely ride out to Onyerbike in Aylesbury, it's a nice 50-60 mile round trip for me on some lovely A roads. Normally, there are dozens of riders there, but today it was pretty much just me and a 796. I fancied a look at one of those new Yamaha XSR 700's, but they are not in the showrooms yet. The roads were dry, traffic was light, and even for me conditions were no problem, had an absolute blast of a ride. I couldn't wait to get out before the eventual road salting and weeks or months of frustration with no riding at all.

Presume most Ducati riders are pleasure only, but just wondered do most people shut down until March?

jonzi
05-12-2015, 06:17 PM
... but just wondered do most people shut down until March?

European trackdays.

Saint aka ML
05-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Shut what down?

Tony most riders go away for winter and good ridden to them. Some of best rides I had were in middle of winter. Empty roads, you know conditions are average so you do not do stupid stuff and you know that any riders you do meet know that secret.

Mr Gazza
05-12-2015, 07:48 PM
I keep mine taxed and insured all year. I do take advantage of the nicer days in the winter, but I will avoid riding on salted roads...Even seemingly dry roads which have salt residue, can leave flecks of it on the bike and cause disfiguring marks.

Had a crackin' scratch round some of my favorites about a fortnight ago..:biggrin:

That said, Jan to late March is usually the time I do any major re-works...So she gets a little holiday.

Dirty
05-12-2015, 07:59 PM
Even I have been out on the bikes this week!

MrsC_772
05-12-2015, 08:13 PM
I commute on my 696 all year round (save for snowy or very icy days). No, it's not showroom shiny and I'm not an assiduous cleaner, but it still beats sitting in a traffic jam in Surrey for hours.

DrD
05-12-2015, 08:58 PM
December and just taken the M900 off the road for winter - have some stuff to do on it.
Commute on my 650 trail bike unless snow/ice (done that in the past)
If a really nice day with no salt residue I will use the Le Mans but not for commuting

TonyG
06-12-2015, 10:16 AM
It's the salt and continuously greasy roads that never seem to dry up that puts me off. I was just surprised there were so few bikes about yesterday, but then I've been ill for a few weeks and was just desperate to get out. Some cold winter days can be lovely, and yesterday wasn't even cold.

How do European track days work, do you need to be set up for it all, a van you can transport the bike in and sleep in? I haven't done a track day since racing school back around 1980 at Mallory I think. Would feel very apprehensive about doing it now. I did do wheelie school a few years ago on Bandit 1200's, better than risking your own bike.

slob
06-12-2015, 10:32 AM
Usually you drop the bike off with the organisers' transport company in the UK a week or so before the trackday, then you fly out, ride around for a few days and fly home. A week later you go and pick your bike up.
The cost usually includes track time, bike transport and hotel.
Sometimes they do a deal where you can eg. ride 3 days at Aragon, day off and then 3 days at Valenica.
You pay on top for flights, car hire, meals etc. and fuel.
The bonus side of riding in Spain is you can pretty much guarantee you won't get rained off when you get there. The atmosphere is also usually a bit more relaxed because the 'axe murderers' don't feel they have to go flat out on day one.
Also timing yourself and loud pipes are no problem.

http://www.thelasturl.net/M1000/carta_2.JPG

check out http://nolimitstrackdays.com/events-list.html?eventtype=37 for example

I try to mostly avoid riding when they start salting the roads. 30 years of commuting with ice forming on my waterproofs is enough for me.

emzedder
06-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Haven't commuted on 2 wheels for years, only occasionally or spells during longer daylight days. Duke doesn't get used Nov - Mar other than when roads are clean. I use '53 BSA M21 side-valve all winter at weekends which bucks the general "collector / restoration / cossetting" trend for old Brits but she's like Rock of Gibraltar ...

jwb
06-12-2015, 07:11 PM
Hi all,don't know how riders can put bikes away till spring,lovely dry morning today went out,if only for short ride but bikes like a drug and I need to ride and tinker with it always.just had new rear tyre,chain and sprockets fitted by Ducati Coventry,top notch shop,couldn't be more helpful.

Saint aka ML
06-12-2015, 07:34 PM
Yes I also had nice, dry and warm morning...... Till we got to about 20 miles from Brighton.

Still as was wet very quickly one I did eventually get wet there was no point of turning round cause I was already wet :)

Good days riding.

NewMon
06-12-2015, 09:12 PM
I subscribe to the 'have it ready' school. F'rinstance, last week I was due in Milton Keynes (I know) when they shut the M1 and everyone piled onto the A5 and every other road. A quick change and out came the Monster. Massive amounts of filtering and a right blast later and it's mission accomplished! Always be ready. Friday, I took the Panigale out for a go - no salt, dry roads, warm for the time of year, saw loads of other bikes. Magic. Don't SORN, cosset or hide away - plenty of good riding left. Next week is supposed to be good too.

utopia
07-12-2015, 09:58 AM
The fair weather fairies ain't so bad.
I go away with them all the time. ;)

My car has been out on permanent loan for 3 or 4 yrs now, while I enjoy another few years of "just bikes".
If finances permit, they (both) stay taxed etc all year round.
If there's not too much salt about, or if I can pick a less salted route, the monster gets a run out every now and then.
But the winter "modding break" seems to be an essential part of Monster ownership.... and this year I have lots to do.
My Honda Dominator does most of the winter work (and gets its mods done in the summer).
Every Monster owner needs a big thumper for the winter, don't they ? They both have a similar soul. :thumbsup:

Dukedesmo
07-12-2015, 10:30 AM
I ride bikes for the enjoyment, I get no enjoyment from being wet/cold etc. so I am a true Fair Weather Fairy. :D

When I was younger I used bikes in all weathers, I didn't even have a car for a few years but now that I'm an old fart and both have and need a car, I like to be comfortable.

I leave my bikes taxed/insured all year and will go out in the colder months if the weather's OK but the older I get the more I dislike the cold... :grump:

TonyG
07-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Don't think I can trust my pride and joy to be shipped out to Spain where I'll probably just crash it. Need a track bike!
Riding is like a drug, I really get down if I can't get out. I've got a second bike, a Honda GB500tt, but I've done it up and don't want to get that salty either. Yep, I need a track bike and a bad weather bike, 2 hopes of that working out...

slob
07-12-2015, 12:33 PM
... the older I get the more I dislike the cold... :grump:

While I completely agree with Tony's 'like a drug' comment, you only have to look at forum posts in February to realise half the membership are getting a bit stir crazy, I figure not riding in the worst months will probably add ten years on the end of my riding 'career', never mind what the salt will do to my Italian loveliness.

Darkness
07-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Don't think I can trust my pride and joy to be shipped out to Spain where I'll probably just crash it. Need a track bike!
Riding is like a drug, I really get down if I can't get out. I've got a second bike, a Honda GB500tt, but I've done it up and don't want to get that salty either. Yep, I need a track bike and a bad weather bike, 2 hopes of that working out...

'2 hopes of that working out..' One now as Bob's dead?

Cobra88
07-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Mine comes off the road as soon as they scatter salt
Out comes my Vespa 250 GTS for winter 👍🏻

jerry
09-12-2015, 12:47 AM
If I am in UK any dry winters day , even if freezing i would ride my Monster ,,, even a chance of rain would not stop me ,, cleaning off road salt afterward s is the worst thing , unless one gets really soaked and frozen,, ha ha which has happened a few times ,,,,

bigredduke
09-12-2015, 12:02 PM
I will occasionally ride in winter providing the roads are dry and salt-free and the temperature is above 10 deg. However although there are some great rural roads in East & North Yorkshire, they are frequently liberally coated in mud from tractors after working in the fields which does not make for enjoyable, relaxed riding. :on:

utopia
09-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Yep, I've just got back from 60 miles in Rutland and there were quite a lot of mud tracks in and out of field gates etc.
It made for interesting picking of lines through the bends and was a good exercise in "making good progress" but retaining a healthy safety margin to cover the unexpected.
It's been a wonderful, clear, sunny day and I found some truly beautiful minor back roads.
I have to say, the country within the Oakham, Billesdon, Melton triangle contains some of the best biking back roads you could wish for, with its gently rolling hills, serpentine twisties and a decent smattering of woodlands.
I really must organise some rides this coming summer.

The motor was teetering on the brink of carb icing all afternoon though ... roll on the FCRs.

Mr Gazza
09-12-2015, 05:10 PM
I really must organise some rides this coming summer..

:thumbsup::thumbsup::mand:

jerry
10-12-2015, 05:50 AM
opposite problem in thailand ,, the heat soaks up your will to go out and ride , you vant ride naked , sun burn but protective clothing is like being in a sauna , making one apathetic dried out husk , dust, sandy slippery roads ,,, oh how one longs for some cool , clean UK roads ,
and when it rains here the roads are lethal covered in debris , cracks , zero visibility ,, no place for any bike ,,,,

Mr Gazza
19-12-2015, 05:26 PM
The latest I rode last year was December 21st...The Solstice...But it was ruddy cold and there was (dry) salt on the road.

Today i had a lovely long dry ride, and was warmer than I was when I rode down to the weekender in May..!!

I have been toying with the idea of a "Boxing day" run for Norfolk (on the 27th).
If the weather holds this could be a distinct possibility.

If any would be interested, subject to weather...Please form an orderly queue...:rolleyes:

Stinger101
19-12-2015, 08:24 PM
I had a great ride out today. Only 80 miles of mostly fast A roads to keep away from the damp and muddy B roads but 16 degrees and sunny. I really needed it. I love this bike and it's huge power, huge speed, agility and responsiveness, little wheelies when wound to the stop, massive brakes that makes the front chirrup on the Tarmac, making me smile every corner entry and exit and the bits in between....
Then took the VFR800 out for 50 really mundane miles.
Awesome! I'll join you if it's dry.

Fatal
20-12-2015, 06:12 PM
I still ride to work every day on a V Twin
Only issue is, this one is made by Mr Honda
NTV 650
My pride and joy is covered up snug in the garage

emzedder
20-12-2015, 07:15 PM
My proper Christmas day is happening Boxing Day so if weather not absolutely terrible plan to take one of the bikes for bit of a canter on Christmas morning.