PDA

View Full Version : clutch hub nut

Andy B
04-12-2015, 01:24 PM
hey guys,

Ran into a snag with my rebuild - I cant get the clutch hub nut to budge!

tried the impact gun, no dice.... had some spare clutch plates so made a hub holder up.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r240/lowdowndirtyzook/Annabels%20Monster/20151204_134237_zpso7un9ksg.jpg

holding in place and breaker bar to undo and still do dice.. the engine is even lifting off the ground its that tight...

its not a reverse thread jobbie or something daft is it? Any tips/pointers would be very appreciated at this point...

Cheers,
Andy

Pedro
04-12-2015, 03:04 PM
Just stupid tight....

Much easier in the frame but that's not much help is it?

I used what you have in the pictures and a four foot scaffold tube - I bent a 20mm diameter breaker bar getting it undone

damien666
04-12-2015, 03:13 PM
Was the impact gun meaty enough? As they vary a lot in torque/ shock impact effect.

Dukedesmo
04-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Impact gun is more likely to shift it without damage or injury - get a bigger one...

Andy B
04-12-2015, 05:31 PM
Cheers guys... good to know i'm not just being a pansy....

was a 14.4v snap on gun.... more than a few years old though mind... hmm... perhaps i'll try and lug the lump into work 'again' and see if the air guns will have any more luck.... had another heave on the old breaker bar and between the metal bar I welded to the plates bending and feeling like risking a hernia i've given it a rest for the day.....

if the air gun in work doesn't solve it i'll leave it till the engines back in the frame i think....

gemantsdad
04-12-2015, 06:02 PM
I had same trouble with mine, bought 240v impact wrench from machine mart, about £55 in the no vat offer, undone in about 5 seconds! no risk of slipping and hurting yourself or engine/bike.

Andy B
04-12-2015, 06:39 PM
i keep looking at impact guns but always have a heart attack when the snap-on guy drops off his weekly flyer and they're in there.... and i don't think I trust the cheapy jobbies on ebay....

but I must admit - i've never thought about a 240v one.... just had a gander on machine mart and the clarke one's on there for 68 quid... 450Nm should be sufficient eh? i could probably stomach that price for this job alone the grief and swearing i've had today :biggrin:

pity my impact sockets only go up to 27mm mind.. more spending

Mr Gazza
04-12-2015, 06:55 PM
They seem to be available for hire.

http://www.speedyservices.com/02_0295-h-impact-wrench-110v-1-2in-drive

Cheaper than buying...Possibly worth looking a into a local hire firm?

Mr Gazza
04-12-2015, 07:08 PM
There ya go...A cheaper one.

http://www.mammoth-hire.co.uk/product/hire-impact-wrench-13mm-electric-120005/

Also a list of shops if you scroll down....Sorry don't know where Bromborough is so you will know which one is nearest you.

jerry
09-12-2015, 12:42 AM
I have a clarke one 240v from machine mart its very powerful and can undo anything on bike or cars ,
the battery ones loose torque after a while ...

slob
09-12-2015, 03:53 AM
I was quite surprised but even a rechargable impact wrench supplies about 20% more torque thsn my 'windy gun'

bluestoesonnose
09-12-2015, 05:58 AM
Third or fourth the Machine Mart ones, awesome bit of kit for what it costs

damien666
09-12-2015, 10:48 AM
Andy b mentioned trying an old snap-on cordless impact gun at first. If anyone ever decides to invest and upgrade, consider the Milwaukee. A chap at work has one. A right bit of kit!

jerry
10-12-2015, 05:40 AM
battery ones a fine when new but after a while they rapidly loose ability to fully recharge the battery and so lose to much torque ,,,, thats why 240v is better long term

damien666
10-12-2015, 11:12 AM
battery ones a fine when new but after a while they rapidly loose ability to fully recharge the battery and so lose to much torque ,,,, thats why 240v is better long term

Unless they're lithium and have a proper warranty :-)

slob
10-12-2015, 11:27 AM
I bought an 18V Ryobi drill a while ago and was quite impressed that after 6 months in the garage it had plenty of go when I needed it, I really expected to have to dig out my old Black&Decker mains drill or wait an hour for it to charge.

Andy B
10-12-2015, 04:32 PM
I ended up lugging the engine into work to try my air gun - noisey old mac tools thing - and it did the job... was going at it for a good 5 or 6 seconds before it even wanted to budge though... wow that was tight!

when it goes back on, i've read conflicting views - people saying to use loctite - others saying dont even think about using loctite - one guy even saying to use copperslip...

anyone know a definitive answer on this one? just torque it up dry?

Cheers again for all the advice guys :)

think i'll invest in the 240v one in the new year... as much as i'd like a battery one, i can't justify the cost vs use of em.... and if i ever do use it i'm sure i wont be too far from a plug socket ;)

jerry
11-12-2015, 02:02 PM
137 ft lbs is what it needs or it will come loose ,, dont need loctite but a new lock tab if available ,,,

Dukedesmo
11-12-2015, 02:35 PM
Many years ago I had the clutch on my 916 replaced by a dealer and on the first ride, the nut came undone, backed out completely and the entire clutch assembly ground it's way through the (carbon) clutch cover and deposited itself into the side fairing. :mad:

Dealer claimed; "the 'O' ring let go" but it simply couldn't have been torqued sufficiently as it was out in less than 100 miles.

Whatever you do, don't use one of those Laser plastic clutch holders for holding it because it'll snap before getting close to the required torque...

Andy B
11-12-2015, 05:14 PM
by lock tab - im guessing its the washer under the bolt with the knurled faces?

the first hub holder i made broke - the flat bar started to bend and subsequently snapped the two clutch plates when they started to go at an angle... my fault for trying with the engine out the bike.....

made mk2 clutch holding tool out of some more spare plates i had lying around.. this time 3 clutch plates, with the option of bolting two friction plates on for holding the basket to torque that up too

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r240/lowdowndirtyzook/Annabels%20Monster/20151211_175853_zpsiwpldrpf.jpg

think i'll wait until the engines back in the frame to torque up the hub nut though....

jerry
12-12-2015, 12:06 PM
I had one let go on my S4 due to it only being torqued to 117ft llbs by a dealer ,, wrecked the clutch cover ,,,