PDA

View Full Version : Chain tensioner bolts M600

sram
30-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Evening all

Just putting my new (to me) very worn and unloved M600 back together after having the swing arm and peg hangers blasted and coated. I think I'm going mad:
I made the rookie mistake (so it seems after a search on here!) of trying to undo the chain tensioner bolts all the way rather than removing the axle and withdrawing the whole unit as an assembly. Sure enough, I sheared the two m3 bolts that go into the long main bolts. Never mind, I extracted what was left of the threads and ordered replacement m3 bolts. I went to put everything back together this evening but I am really struggling here!
When I put the tensioners in place and put the axle through, the bolts seem WAY too long. The pic below shows the bolt done up all the way.
Am I right in saying that only one side of the tension 'block' thingy is threaded? I tried putting the bolts in the other way, but there is no thread there.

Appreciate your guidance for this Ducati n00b!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21533299/pics/webshots/monster/chaintensioner.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21533299/pics/webshots/monster/chaintensioner2.jpg

JMH900sie
30-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Just keep screwing them in until it starts pulling on the chain tensioners and the spindle, they'll just screw inside the swing arm

Darren69
30-11-2015, 07:34 PM
All I know is that they're 100mm long so a lot of screwing is involved. Dirty comment? lol I'm afraid the subject is now taboo on the forum due to key words swinging/screwing/Dirty is too much for the forum police. Dirty are you allowied by the ukmoc police to comment? I rhink there is a flange that you need in adjustment to prevent overscrewing but you are the expert! lol

Mr Gazza
30-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Unless that is a silver coloured grease on the threads, it looks like alloy piled up on the threads?

Give the bolts a good wire brush and then a light grease when clean.

It's a slightly different design to my 900 but the principal looks the same.
The long adjuster bolts go all the way through the alloy axle block, and out the outer side.

Once threaded through, there is a small (M3) screw that goes in the end of the bolt with a washer (which you mentioned)
That is to stop the bolt coming out and going down the road along with the back plate....Could be very dangerous if it went into the sprocket first!!

You may have wrecked the thread by trying to pull the washer and M3 through the axle block....The washer could still be in there?

Check the thread in the block and clean out with a tap if needs be...You may need new blocks.

...Nice finish on your swinging arm BTW..

sram
30-11-2015, 07:56 PM
AH HA!
Maybe the bloody washers are what I can see in there. I will try and push them back out by screwing the bolts in further or using a punch... Thank you.
I'm not 100% happy with the swing arm finish. I took them to a local(ish) company that have done bits for my car before and I've been very happy. However, the Monster bits took a MONTH and the finish on the swing arm appear to be metallic and not even close to the original finish. However, the finish on the peg hangers does look pretty authentic and is certainly not metallic.
I was hoping the swing arm and peg hangers would be fairly original looking, other bits like belt covers and chain tension end caps I had done in heat resistant matte black because there was nothing like the original olive colour for the belt covers.
Will post some pics soon!
Thank you for all the help guys.

Stuart

PS, the silver is a combo of
http://www.molyslip.co.uk/products.php?cat=35&prd=33
and/or
http://www.molyslip.co.uk/products.php?cat=35&prd=29

I swear by this stuff

DrD
30-11-2015, 09:41 PM
It might be worth running a tap down the adjuster block threads before you refit.

sram
05-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Just to close this one, it was the stuck washers that had been partially pulled through the adjuster blocks that were stopping the bolts threading through. Washers knocked out, thread cleaned with a tap and new bolts and washers fitted to the end of the long bolts.
Thanks again!

Mr Gazza
05-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Nice one Stuart.

Always good to have a happy conclusion..:biggrin: