PDA

View Full Version : m821 stripe front suspension

MarkF
24-11-2015, 07:09 PM
The stripe forks have adjustments, but only on one fork? On previous bikes these have been on both forks!

Flip
25-11-2015, 03:52 AM
The one adjuster does both Compression and Rebound adjustments on a pre-set ratio I should imagine and the other (non-adjustable leg) is simply kept in line (as well as can be) by it.

I suspect it is down to cost saving being that it is cheaper to make only one adjustable as opposed to two but then it is asking a lot of one fork to cope with all of those forces going through it and expect it to control the other as well.

Suspension is probably one of the biggest cost savings/expenses on modern bikes and therefore depending upon what is fitted as standard, potentially one of areas that can be massively improved- not particularly cheap to do though which is why so few riders ever really find out.

J.P
25-11-2015, 07:45 AM
It still works don't worry. As Flip says, cheaper that way.
Well worth getting the bike set up for you specifically if you know someone that can do it.
It's usually quite soft, I really firm mine up, but I'm aggressive on the brakes for track riding.

slob
25-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Just remember if you put it on an under leg front paddock stand and take the wheel/spindle out, the bike may try to keel over sideways, Aprilia RS250s had a similar damping arrangement and were famous for this.

MarkF
25-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Thanks all, I thought as much just couldn't get my head around one fork only controlling both, must say I normally just set it up for an 80-90kg rider and leave it at that, its a lot firmer than the beemer anyway.

utopia
25-11-2015, 01:29 PM
Just remember if you put it on an under leg front paddock stand and take the wheel/spindle out, the bike may try to keel over sideways, Aprilia RS250s had a similar damping arrangement and were famous for this.

Ha, ha.
Not that one should laugh at someone's misfortune, but that's just "Laurel and Hardy".

I've got decent forks with matching adjustment on each leg ......none at all !!!