PDA

View Full Version : 96 monster M900 problems : (

sukhoi356
24-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Bought my(first ever ducati) monster a year ago from darn sarf
It has a full termignioni exhorst system supposedly dynojet 2 kit and runs like sh*t in low revs!
It has a K&N airfilter and no lid on the airbox!
It was "tuned" by a duckworth superduper" race engineeer" (allegedly)
Thinking of taking it to Ducati Glasgow for a service (with belt change) and valve check as i dont know the belt history!
Was thinking of returning it to original silencers(as i have them) and jets and airbox lid both of which i'd need to buy along with the original header pipes!

Any thoughts

Alex
Perth
Scotland

DrD
24-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Belt change and valve check good starting point.
AND check timing
It ought to run fine with that set up (and sound better too). Suggests either above are out or carbs not set up correctly

sukhoi356
24-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Cheers DrD : )

Darren69
24-11-2015, 12:52 PM
They tend to generally run better with the open exhaust/airbox/fuelling mods (when setup correctly) and they sound a lot better too! :)

sukhoi356
24-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Thanks Darren, dont know if waking the neighbours everytime i take it out sounds better!!!!!
Coming from Goldwing and blackbird rides the monster is FECKIN loud!!!!
Alex

Pedro
24-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Def needs a belt and valve check then a proper set up, that combo of bits should run well, mine does!

Darren69
24-11-2015, 06:39 PM
Its supposed to set car alarrms off, my old 900ss used to, its that what wakes everyone up! When you say it runs sh*t what exactly is it doing, bogging down/not picking up cleanly?

And I would be cautious of any so called expert dynojet setup claims. When I had my carbs apart I found the needle clips were set at different clip positions to each other, 1 at 2 and 1 at 3! but it still ran ok. I was actually having starting issues at the time but that couldn;t have helped.

Darren69
24-11-2015, 06:56 PM
Of course if you're runnng carbs in this weather it will start popping and banging after about 20 miles in this cold weather anyway. That's normal as Carb icing is a big problem with those bikes esp the 900. If thats the problem then put the choke on should help but if not stop for ten minutes to let the heat get to the inlets.