PDA

View Full Version : I want to fit a decat pipe to my S2R 1000

willber
24-11-2015, 07:33 AM
Hi Guys

I've currently got Danmoto end cans on my bike and would like to fit a decat pipe. I have seen the one listed below:

http://www.moorespeedracing.co.uk/ducati-de-cat-pipes/monster-s2r-1000ie-de-cat-pipe.html

Will I definitely need to remap the bike to avoid it running lean or will this one be OK as it has an o2 sensor bung? The price looks good for a stainless one. Danmoto equivalent are a a bit cheaper but not stainless.

Pedro
24-11-2015, 08:15 AM
I fitted a Danmoto decat to my 1100 Multistrada and left the lambda sensor in (until I have it remapped) and it runs better than with the cat fitted. The Danmoto part is nicely made

willber
24-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Thanks. The only downside to the Danmoto then is that it's not stainless but I suppose my link pipes etc are not stainless either so the Danmoto would match nicely with the end cans. Trying to think of things to tinker with whilst im not using the bike over winter! The main thing I want to avoid is the bike running like a pig or dangerously lean without it being remapped. Eventually I would get the bike remapped so its running its best but wouldnt be able to straight away.

slob
24-11-2015, 09:59 AM
The stock pipes are 'stainless', just not very high grade stainless.

The Danmoto pipes are listed as SS304, which is also known as A2 stainless, they should be a more corrosion resistant material than your headers.

willber
24-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Good info, thanks. Im leaning more towards the Danmoto ones then simply because they're cost effective and have been used by other owners. Any one have any further info regarding it running lean etc? Or is it a case of fit them and see what happens?

Darren69
24-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Get some wire wool/brillo pads etc to your headers, they should polish up quite nice. As Slob says they are stainless but not high grade and so they look brown and rusty, its not rust just looks like it. That should keep you busy for a while over winter :)

Pedro
24-11-2015, 04:20 PM
My Danmoto decat is def stainless steel!

Dirty
24-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Stainless steel that isn't stainless! Ducati take the P sometimes!

willber
24-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Think im just going to buy one stick it on and take it from there! Im sure my neighbours will love me.......

Darren69
24-11-2015, 06:26 PM
If you already have open cans then they probably love you already! It probably won't be that much louder tbh :) I think most aftermarket pipes are stainless, but yea standard Ducati stainless is unique in its ability to replicate rusty old iron, they are all made my Termignoni or Remus apparently but you have to pay a hefty premium for the good stuff, that stays shiny!

willber
24-11-2015, 07:01 PM
That's good then! Hopefully it will be better in tone as its already pretty loud as you say. Looking forward to fitting it and getting rid of the ugly lump on there at the moment.

Darren69
24-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Yea, what were Ducati thinking fitting that ugly big metal bagpipe to the R ? I think it may alter the tone a bit and make it lower, but I can't comment since I have no experience with that model. Generally the bigger diameter pipe then the slower gas speed and the less noisy they are which I suppose is why the race bikes have 60-70mm pipes?

My S4 has a full Termi system which on the 916 is 45 to 50mm spaghetti system and is bloody loud, infact loudest I have heard on any Ducati I have owned, but my neighbour had only complained about her windows and ornaments rattlling a bit. its a different kind of loud to my 748 with full 50mm titanium system, as without the steel to absorb the sound I swear you can hear everything even hear the valves jumping but that doesn't rattle so much !

Stafford
25-11-2015, 06:56 AM
I have a decat pipe for the S2R1000 for sale. Stainless as well, in fact the one you are looking at.
PM me.

slob
25-11-2015, 07:36 AM
Stainless steel that isn't stainless! Ducati take the P sometimes!

everything is built to a price.
you're asking a lot of your 'stainless' if you expect to spray road salt on it then heat it to 200c and remain that way.

willber
25-11-2015, 07:37 AM
Damn, too late already bought one off eBay!

Dirty
25-11-2015, 11:53 AM
everything is built to a price.
you're asking a lot of your 'stainless' if you expect to spray road salt on it then heat it to 200c and remain that way.

Yes I suppose it is still better than using mild steel in that it will be longer before it completely disintegrates.

I've had (cheapo) stainless car systems that remained relatively stainless in the past. As you say it's about building to a price and as the Monster was always intended to be customised you can forgive them for scrimping on certain parts, expecting them to be replaced by owners anyway.

slob
25-11-2015, 12:02 PM
It's only a 'sacrificial' surface, a brown pipe is still structurally sound, not like some '70 or '80s chromed mild steel affair that rots right through in three years.

Dirty
25-11-2015, 01:07 PM
It's only a 'sacrificial' surface, a brown pipe is still structurally sound, not like some '70 or '80s chromed mild steel affair that rots right through in three years.

Yes I suppose it is still better than using mild steel in that it will be longer before it completely disintegrates.

utopia
25-11-2015, 01:22 PM
...... not like some '70 or '80s chromed mild steel affair that rots right through in three years.

Yeah, tell me about that !!
And chances are you'd have four of them too.
Only stayed rust-free until the cheque cleared.

Actually, "stainless" is a relative term anyway ..all stainless steels will corrode to some extent, given the right conditions.
Its just that some grades corrode much more rapidly than others.
But other physical properties also vary, sometimes quite widely, between the different grades.
In addition to the cost factor, it may be that the particular grade which Ducati uses for exhaust headers is chosen because it is more suitable (malleable) for bending.

willber
04-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Bought and have fitted the Danmoto decat and have taken it for a quick test ride, initial impressions are:

LOUD - but good loud
Looks much better
Saved a fair bit of weight
Throttle response seems a lot smoother and less snatchy
Sounds better on over-run and closed throttle
Smells more due to no CAT to absorb gases
Fits well once tweaked a couple of times.
Needs 90 degree 02 sensor boss to stop it catching/grounding when cornering (bought and fitted)

Pretty chuffed overall and looking forward to Spring for a proper ride.