PDA

View Full Version : Rear hoop rose joint help!

JMH900sie
23-11-2015, 05:06 PM
Having some trouble getting the bolts out of the rose joints that join the hoop to swing arm. Are they threaded at all, or are they just corroded in there?

Joe

don_matese
23-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Swingarm to rosejoint bolts are not threaded and should just push out.

Hoop to rosejoints are threaded but may well be corroded in. Judicious use of some penetrating oil and heat will free them up. You can also try giving them a whack on the ends to shock it free.

JMH900sie
23-11-2015, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I don't think the hoop to swing arm bolts have ever been out, they're siezed solid. Got them soaking in duck oil at the mo, and I'll try a little heat tomorrow

Joe

Albie
23-11-2015, 06:17 PM
One of mine was stuck. As said it needs shock treatment. Mine got stuck in the roller bush.

JMH900sie
23-11-2015, 06:24 PM
My bike has the aluminium swing arm, so I'm afraid to whack it too hard. I'll be patient, and use the induction heater to try and get it to soak up some duck oil tomorrow

Albie
23-11-2015, 06:52 PM
My bike has the aluminium swing arm, so I'm afraid to whack it too hard. I'll be patient, and use the induction heater to try and get it to soak up some duck oil tomorrow

Mine does too. Try just tapping boths ends of the bolt at the same time and shocking the middle.

JMH900sie
23-11-2015, 07:12 PM
I'll give that a go, cheers dude!

JMH900sie
30-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Got the bastards out! Took an induction heater, a **** load of duck oil, and a big copper mallet and now they're out, all unceased (they were stuck solid!) and regressed ready to refit :)

utopia
30-11-2015, 09:36 PM
[QUOTE=JMH900sie; .....unceased ......and regressed.....[/QUOTE]

There'll be nothing holding them back now then.
......or will there ? ......;)

Dennis menace
01-12-2015, 09:58 AM
Been there, done that - two days work!
I could not believe that it was only corrosion holding the bolt to the roller bush. I changed the bolts for new ones from Stein-Dinse and new rose bushes from somewhere in Scotland - very reasonable price and good quality but I had to re-use the roller bushes. Fortunately it was the bolts not the bushes that were corroded. You can bet the bolts are well greased now!

JMH900sie
01-12-2015, 03:54 PM
Unsiezed then ;), balls. I'll make it part of my regular maintainence now. Not doing that again in a hurry!

Darren69
01-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Been there, done that - two days work!
I could not believe that it was only corrosion holding the bolt to the roller bush. I changed the bolts for new ones from Stein-Dinse and new rose bushes from somewhere in Scotland - very reasonable price and good quality but I had to re-use the roller bushes. Fortunately it was the bolts not the bushes that were corroded. You can bet the bolts are well greased now!

I can remember all the agro you had with those Dennis and finding suitable replacement bolts that would fit? I have the later setup on mine with the SBK single tie rod and had to buy a new rod and bearings because neither me or the dealer could get the damn rod ends undone on the old one!

Dennis menace
02-12-2015, 11:40 AM
Yes. Stein Dinse still sell the hoop bolts part no: 77910021B, at 16 Euros each! not including minimum charge and postal costs. The hat nuts are extra!!