PDA

View Full Version : Servo starter and low battery.

Drumnagorrach
13-11-2015, 06:29 PM
After a week of standing and today's 2deg temp my S2R 1000 wouldn't start.
The starter just gave up after maybe a second ,i guessed a flat battery and connected my optimate and the bike started after only 3 or 4 mins.

Am I right in assuming that something in the starter control disconnects the start signal if the voltage is low ,or does this point to a component fault ?

Next bit Looking up a replacement battery turns up Yuasa YT12B-BS which is 10 ah
My manual states the battery should be 16 ah.
Any recommendations for a decent replacement without going to the expense of an Odyssey ?

Martin Duke
13-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Motobatt MBT12B4 - replaced my Yuasa with one of these. Not too expensive and decent quality, my S2R
always starts easy peasy. There was a review on an American website comparing a wide range of motorcycle batteries, very detailed with lots of tests - the Motobatt wasn't quite the best but it was pretty close, and given the reasonable cost of them it certainly was right up amongst the best buys. Mine came from M&P.

Drumnagorrach
13-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Thanks Martin.
Ordered one from M&P £54 delivered .The description matches exactly what I need,"keeps its charge over the winter "
Cheers

Flip
13-11-2015, 08:32 PM
I think perhaps the previous owner has saved a few squid by fitting a 12Ah which is listed for the 800cc S2R whereas Motobatt list their fitment as a 14Ah for the 1000cc which in reality is closer to a 16Ah Yuasa.

http://www.motobatt.com.au/motobatt/Motobatt_Catalogue.pdf

Although on my earlier 900 they list a 16Ah which I have had fitted for a few years now without issue.

Mr Gazza
13-11-2015, 09:02 PM
I'm sure that my Motobatt is 16AH on my 900 without going to check.

It's NEVER been on a charger all the time I've had it.

I put it on the bike, straight out of the box it came in.......And that's it..!...:thumbsup:

Mr Gazza
14-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Checked my Motobatt out for Drum' earlier today It's MB16AU (For 900)

But don't be fooled by the 16 in the part no....It's rated at 20.5 Ah..!!

For reference the dims are 205 long, 72 wide and 165 high.

Some days ago someone on here was saying they did a discount on Motobatts...Can anyone remember who?

Flip
15-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Yep that's the same one as fitted to my '97 900- although according to their fitment list I read it that the injection bikes used a 14Ah.

I got a 10% discount when I bought mine through Mad 4 Bikes.

www.mad4bikes.co.uk

Dirty
15-11-2015, 11:56 AM

Some days ago someone on here was saying they did a discount on Motobatts...Can anyone remember who?

I think Utopia mentioned a discount on a Li battery

utopia
15-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Yep ...I've just bought a Magneti Marelli lithium battery at 40% discount from Carpimoto.
Claims to be a replacement for my original 16Ah battery as well as the 14Ah and12Ah batteries fitted to more modern monsters.
Weighs only 805g compared to .....wait for it .....Six and a quarter bloody kilos !!
I paid about £85.
I got a cheap charger/monitor for it from them too.
Also JMT lithium batteries are on ebay for £77 nowadays. (but the Magneti is Italian and the blue colour suits my bike :rolleyes:).

http://www.carpimoto.it/en-GB/44233_...ery-MMY12B.htm

Drumnagorrach
15-11-2015, 04:18 PM
Lithium will be a pain if the temp is low, I hear that you will have to turn lights on dip and hold the main beam flasher to warm up the battery when it's cold.
Sounds arse about to me but that's the word on lithium batteries in the cold .