PDA

View Full Version : camera income

garry
10-11-2015, 06:09 PM
pinched from another site, at least he openly admits the cameras just another revenue stream.

Hi Garry

The Police Commissioner for
Bedfordshire, Olly Martins, has
made a proposal to use money
from Speed Camera fines to go
directly in to his Police forces
coffers.

He told the Home Affairs Select
Committee that "Strict
enforcement of the speed limit
could raise £1m, and to me that’s
better than losing 25 more
Police Officers.”

To help with this plan, he proposes
permanently switching on the
Speed Cameras on one of the
busiest stretches of the M1,
between J10 and J13...

The cameras are usually only
switched on when speed
restrictions are in place.

It seems to me that this the most
blatant admission yet from a
senior Police officer that Speed
Cameras are indeed all about
revenue generation...

All the best,

Adam

Darren69
10-11-2015, 07:17 PM
This makes me so angry! It would seem that making money is more important than saving lives. Its about time these people woke up and realised that whilst speeding is a factor in accidents most are caused by driver error and most commonly I would think would be texting or using a phone whilst driving. I used to commute everyday on the M1 and I've seen car drivers do the most stupid things whilst driving within the speed limits and most involve not looking where they are going. And include texting, reading the paper over the wheel, changing CDs, pouring coffee/tea from a flask, reading a map, doing makeup/hair etc they might not be speeding but they are a liablilty, if they die then thats fair enough I say they deserve it by Darwin rules but who else will they take with them?

Taff666
10-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Two Comments on this post:-

1. Anyone who thinks that speed cameras are about safety probably also believes in fairies!!

2. Bedfordshire police are skint.

Dirty
10-11-2015, 10:26 PM
One of the few good things the Tories have done is redirect the profits from speed cameras away from local authorities and into central Gov coffers. That's the reason that many previous sites have fallen into disuse as it is still the local gov responsibility to provide upkeep. This situation is slowly changing back though, slippery buggers!