PDA

View Full Version : Fork removal. How to's & thank you's

Bonzo
07-11-2015, 02:29 PM
I'll be sending my forks off to K-Tech over the next few weeks (thanks for the recommendation Chris.P) and using the workshop manual (thanks Rick) to guide me through removal.

Is there anything I need to be wary of, or anything unexpected I may come across and bollox up?

For an Evo by the way

Cheers

Bonz

Darkness
07-11-2015, 03:39 PM
On the m900

1. Don't forget to loosen the axle before slackening the pinch bolts that hold the threaded sleeve.
2. Unbolt the calipers and hang them on string or bungees before taking the wheel out as in place the gap between them is narrower than the rim/tyre.
3, keep an eye out for spacer washers in the pinch bolt slots on the fork yokes.

The 1100 is probably similar??????

slob
07-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Apart from the obvious support/stability:
I always loosen the top nuts before undoing the yoke pinch bolts, since it's hard to grip the individual legs. You need to use a good fitting socket (rounded fork nuts look terrible!). This may not be a problem if you're sending them to K-Tech.
Remember the forks will drop very quickly under their own weight when you loosen the last pinch bolt, so support the legs as you undo the yokes.

Dirty
07-11-2015, 04:54 PM
Don't ride it until you've refitted them, unless you are a world champ at wheelies!