PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing Carbon

Nasher
30-10-2015, 03:58 PM
I've brought a lovely carbon Ducati Performance front mudguard from a member on here for my 97 M900 knowing in advance that it needs re-lacquering as it's got a few scratches and actually a thumb print in what looks like old lacquer right where it shows.

I must stress this is something I knew about before buying it so I'm not having a moan.

I know I'm going to have to rub it down really carefully with wet and dry so I don't rub through to the fibres, but can anyone recommend a lacquer I can spray at home in an unheated garage this time of year?
Or does anyone have any tips?
I usually use plain old Halfords clear lacquer in a can and have had some good results on repainted outboard engine covers, but I've never refinished Carbon before.

I know I should really wait until the weather warms up again next year, but the moment that day arrives I'll want to be out on the bike not working on it.

Ta

Nasher

damien666
30-10-2015, 04:19 PM
If you pay for postage both ways, i'll re clear it for you FOC.

jimbo696
30-10-2015, 04:29 PM
What a gent....:mand:

squarehead
30-10-2015, 04:30 PM
That is a very kind offer from Damien666, I'd be happy about that!

If it's shiny you're after I use UPOL, loads of info on here.

http://s5.postimg.org/bfeahkbzr/Front_mguard_1.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Got good results on my side panels, mudguard is quite good but has a couple of pinholes because I put some silicon based polish on it and didn't get it all off prior to paint. Won't do that again!

utopia
31-10-2015, 01:08 AM
U-Pol No1, UV-Resistant Clear Lacquer, has been my aerosol of choice.

Nasher
01-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Guys

Sorry for disappearing after posting this thread and Damien666 that's a very kind offer.

After I'd posted the thread I spoke to a supplier at work who does some painting for us and they've kindly offered to put a clear coat on the mudguard for me.

I have however realised that the mudguard is not the correct fitment for my early M900, in that the fixing holes are too widely spaced and closer to the axle(If that makes sense).
I have figured out how I can fit it though with some simple brackets.
I started machining them this afternoon, but got called away to help Mrs Nasher clean out my sons fish tank as he's gone off to University and left them with us to look after.

Kids eh, who'd have em?

Nasher