PDA

View Full Version : Secondhand S2R advice

Bufort
27-10-2015, 05:52 PM
Hey, I'm going to buy an S2R 800, because of things like: swing arm, wheels, clutch, air cooledness, price.

What changes, if any, were made through the years they were made ('04 - '08 I believe)? And is there anything I specifically need to look out for?

I'm coming from riding Buells and Harleys.

Thanks.

alan c
27-10-2015, 07:11 PM
Hi, I have a very nice S2R 800 for sale.
Look in For sale posts. I am in Dartford, so not to far.
I've just got myself a M1100.

Cheers

Alan

stopintime
27-10-2015, 07:34 PM
S2R introduced as 2005 model (don't know if any were sold in 2004) and ended with the 2007 model. From 2006 to 2007 the valve stems were reduced one mm - maybe they wear out a tiny bit sooner... The left side cover had a glass timing inspection window on the 2005+2006 - closed up on the 2007. 2007 had most of the wiring mounted without visible zip ties.
2007 is Euro 3 compliant with a catalytic converter in the udder, where the 2005 and 2006 are Euro 2 and AFAIK have empty cats. This is actually quite important, because the 2005 and 2006 are more generous with the fuel mixture and can be run with most slip ons without running lean (= too hot)

Bufort
27-10-2015, 07:51 PM
2007 is Euro 3 compliant with a catalytic converter in the udder, where the 2005 and 2006 are Euro 2 and AFAIK have empty cats. This is actually quite important, because the 2005 and 2006 are more generous with the fuel mixture and can be run with most slip ons without running lean (= too hot)

I see. Well, thankfully, bikes aren't required to meet specific emissions for MOTs :biggrin:

This brings me to my next question then, how are these EFI bikes tuned/remapped for new setups? Is there software that anyone of us can download and load new maps to our bikes, or is this a very expensive dealer only thing on Ducati's?

Bufort
27-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Hi, I have a very nice S2R 800 for sale.
Look in For sale posts. I am in Dartford, so not to far.

I first have to shift some of my current bikes... Buell XB9SX and Monster M600...

Martin Duke
27-10-2015, 08:05 PM
S2R introduced as 2005 model (don't know if any were sold in 2004) and ended with the 2007 model. From 2006 to 2007 the valve stems were reduced one mm - maybe they wear out a tiny bit sooner... The left side cover had a glass timing inspection window on the 2005+2006 - closed up on the 2007. 2007 had most of the wiring mounted without visible zip ties.

I have a 2005 S2R 800 - if my udder is empty then I presume there is absolutely no point in fitting de-cat eliminator link pipes as they would make very little difference. Has anyone checked what (if anything) is inside the udder of the 2005 model? :gromit:

stopintime
27-10-2015, 08:13 PM
On my 2007 I began with a Ducati Performance kit - slip ons, open air box lid, 'race' filter and ECU. Later added Spark de-cat mid pipes. Ran better, smoother and not too hot.

As I said, on the 2005 and 2006 the stock ECU handles most exhaust mods. At least slip ons. Probably open air box and de-cat mid pipes (since there really(?) isn't a cat in the udder).

Next step, or an alternative to the DP ECU, is a custom Dyno tune with a Power Commander 3.

The stock ECU can be reflashed, but there's not much to gain.

I suggest riding the bike you get first, have the valve adjustment checked, evaluate and go from there.

Bufort
27-10-2015, 08:19 PM
I have a 2005 S2R 800 - if my udder is empty then I presume there is absolutely no point in fitting de-cat eliminator link pipes as they would make very little difference.

I would assume, just by looking at it, that it would make the exhaust route smoother, and therefore flow better.

stopintime
27-10-2015, 08:32 PM
... and quite a bit louder - in a VERY nice way.

Bufort
27-10-2015, 08:33 PM
As I said, on the 2005 and 2006 the stock ECU handles most exhaust mods. At least slip ons. Probably open air box and de-cat mid pipes (since there really(?) isn't a cat in the udder).

Thanks. I think I'll go for an 05/06 then. I'm not really planning on much in terms of performance upgrades other than standard stage 1.

Ursa
27-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Only thing to mention Bufort, as you live in London, with the emissions rules changes, you'll be needing a Euro 3 compliant bike if you want to ride into town after the ULEZ regulations come in, or it's £12.50 a day charge.
This is just something to bear in mind depending on what you want to use your bike for and how long you intend to keep it.

Drumnagorrach
27-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Hey, I'm going to buy an S2R 800, because of things like: swing arm, wheels, clutch, air cooledness, price.

What changes, if any, were made through the years they were made ('04 - '08 I believe)? And is there anything I specifically need to look out for?

I'm coming from riding Buells and Harleys.

Thanks.

I went from Guzzis ,to a Harley and then a Buell M2,back to a Guzzi and then got a Ducati. My S2R is the 1000 2006,compared with the long stroke Harley engines ,the Ducati is an absolute joy,smooth, responsive and doesn't vibrate like a road drill, imo 72 deg Vtwin is just wrong,the V has to be wide .
Have you ridden a S2R yet ?

Bufort
27-10-2015, 09:11 PM
you'll be needing a Euro 3 compliant bike if you want to ride into town after the ULEZ regulations come in, or it's £12.50 a day charge.

F*cking euro s***** c**** f******* sh**** t*** b*******.

Why've they got to spoil everyones fun all the time?

According to this page: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/check-your-vehicle, it is simply based on year, so you can just have an 07 bike with any exhaust, and even if they start testing emissions by 2020 you could just put a CAT back on for MOTs. Maybe an 07 would be better then, as at the moment I ride along the edge of the CON Charge zone, but who knows in the future.

Bufort
27-10-2015, 09:25 PM
I went from Guzzis ,to a Harley and then a Buell M2,back to a Guzzi and then got a Ducati. My S2R is the 1000 2006,compared with the long stroke Harley engines ,the Ducati is an absolute joy,smooth, responsive and doesn't vibrate like a road drill, imo 72 deg Vtwin is just wrong,the V has to be wide .
Have you ridden a S2R yet ?

Not yet (I just bought an M600 project though), but those are the reasons I want one! I've had Buell XB's, which I love, but I do like change. I may keep my Sportster, but the main thing I love about Harleys is the sound. Sound is a VERY big part of riding for me. I love engines, I love mechanics, I love ... sorry, getting a bit carried away here. I want to have an easier ride through the traffic in the morning, and at the moment my Sporty isn't. And I love streetfighter bikes.

God I love bikes.

Drumnagorrach
27-10-2015, 10:16 PM
A sportster is light years easier to ride in trafic than a S2R. You have to be Very carefull with the throttle,pickup is instant ,engine braking fairly extreme .The 96 XL 1200 ,I had was a pussy cat.

squarehead
27-10-2015, 11:00 PM
My S2R 1000 is a bit of a 'challenge' in traffic, not the happiest but ok. However on the twisties with an open airbox and db killers removed :look:

BBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRPPPPPPPPP, BBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRPPPPPPPPP, BBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRPPPPPPPPP,
pop,pop, BANG, pop, pop (repeat)

If you like noise, you'll love an S2R in this format :mand:

Not sure about it being a great bike for a London commute though.........

Bufort
28-10-2015, 06:50 AM
We're probably talking about different levels of traffic here; I rode through central London every day, and it's the weight of the bike, the length, the clutch. I don't have this with my Buell for example.

Dave G
28-10-2015, 07:27 AM
And before you make up his mind on how easy it is to ride, are you talking about the 1000 on standard gearing?, the smaller front sprocket is the most common mod that'll solve that but the 800 is a lot easier at low speeds as standard and the APTC clutch makes this easier on the arms too.

squarehead
28-10-2015, 08:06 AM
We're probably talking about different levels of traffic here; I rode through central London every day, and it's the weight of the bike, the length, the clutch. I don't have this with my Buell for example.

Well, the bike is pretty damn nimble, but aircooled + stop start traffic is not usually a great mix. And the clutch on the 1000 is err.... positive!

Great great open road bike. I believe from on here the 800 has easier manners. And Liz's with lightweight (no db killers :thumbsup:) Carbon Arrows sounds great!

Bufort
28-10-2015, 08:10 AM
The APTC clutch is why I chose the 800 and not the 1000.

Otherwise, in my primitive brain, bigger is always better!

Bufort
28-10-2015, 08:19 AM
What I'm looking for is an all rounder; used for work, used for trips to Southampton to see my parents, and the Ace Cafe for burnouts ;)

If I had the space and funds for whatever I wanted, I would have an XB9 Lightning, (with enough funds to let someone else fix all the reliability issues), a Knucklehead bobber, a 916, and one other unique creation.

slob
28-10-2015, 09:41 AM
F*cking euro s***** c**** f******* sh**** t*** b*******.

Why've they got to spoil everyones fun all the time?

According to this page: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/check-your-vehicle, it is simply based on year, so you can just have an 07 bike with any exhaust, and even if they start testing emissions by 2020 you could just put a CAT back on for MOTs. Maybe an 07 would be better then, as at the moment I ride along the edge of the CON Charge zone, but who knows in the future.

Yep, and a 100K mile taxi/coach/transit/van belching black fumes with its shagged rings and valve guides will be fine as long as it was made after 2007...
Little 125cc bike doing 100mpg (& not stationary in traffic for 80% of your commute) but made in 2006 is an environmental catastrophe by comparison.

Bufort
28-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Luckily my 4.3 litre truck doesn't fall into the current dirty LEZzer category because it's not diesel!

EvoAde
28-10-2015, 10:34 AM
I came from an XR1200X Harley to an 1100evo Monster. In my experience the rideability around town on newer bikes is down to sorting out the emission junk and a decent remap. The Harley was snatchy until I fitted 02 eliminators and the Monster was rubbish until it got a 14T front sprocket and Rexxer remap (which got rid of the O2 sensors and exhaust servo).

Bufort
28-10-2015, 10:40 AM
The Harley was snatchy until I fitted 02 eliminators

I've only had carbed Harleys because I like being able to fine tune it easily myself. One of the reasons i'm getting rid of my Buell - the ECM Spy software is a nuisance to get hold of and decent maps, and I'm generally just not a big fan of software on bikes. But on the other hand, I do want a more modern bike now, that just works. So I'm not planning on doing any performance mods to it.

alan c
29-10-2015, 07:07 AM
I first have to shift some of my current bikes... Buell XB9SX and Monster M600...

No rush to sell, its under covers in the garage, if you wish to have a look let me know.
Its a 2007 so has wiring on inside of frame which I preferred, has dp decat and Leo vince pipe etc.

Liz
29-10-2015, 07:30 AM
And Liz's with lightweight (no db killers :thumbsup:) Carbon Arrows sounds great!

Oh yes :D:D:D

Bufort
29-10-2015, 08:27 AM
Its a 2007 so has wiring on inside of frame which I preferred, has dp decat and Leo vince pipe etc.

I'm probably more likely to go for an earlier one, and exhausts are irrelevant because I will be changing it for something that doesnt come up over the wheel, along the lines of a Quat-D Exbox, or 'open udder'.