PDA

View Full Version : Single Throttle Cable (or two)

DrD
27-10-2015, 04:27 PM
I have been playing around with throttle cable routing and noticed how light the throttle is running just the pull cable (strong throttle springs ensures it snaps back too).
I have found a few old threads on moving to single throttle cable (mainly from the DesmoDue boys and girls).
Some of the usa threads give horor stories of not having a close cable but anyone any experience, and the perils of removing "this safety device".
My old bikes (and classic car) just have pulls to DellOrtos etc.
Any one have long term positive or negative experience?
Reason I ask is if I put a Domino progressive throttle on - the single is cheaper and so much easier to fit than the double (XM2 - http://www.motogm.com/comando-gas-rapido-a-due-cavi-xm2-domino-con-ghiere-e-manopole-nere-rosse-senza-cavo/11843). I might run the bike for a while with just the pull to see anyway before deciding which of the Domino system to get.

Dukedesmo
27-10-2015, 05:57 PM
I have split FCRs which have an opener and a closer cable, my original throttle (supplied with the carbs) had 2 cables which split into 4.

As I wanted a fast-idle switch and I had a spare 916 throttle (single cable with fast idle switch) I got a custom cable which is a 1 into 2 just for the openers, no need for the closers as FCRs have very strong springs.

The only downside is that a 916 throttle has a bigger cam and so is much faster, which combined with the strong springs makes for a very quick & heavy throttle. I made it more bearable with a 'throttle-tamer' which has made it a similar opening to a 916 with a quick throttle cam (about 1/4 turn), although it's still heavy.

I'd like to get something like that on my Guzzi, the throttle action on that is so long that I need to take a second 'bite' to get to full throttle...

DrD
27-10-2015, 06:09 PM
Tim,
if your LeMans is anything like mine it will need sometihng like this: http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/twistgrip-tommaselli-quick-action-twin-pull-1555-p.asp

Dukedesmo
27-10-2015, 07:47 PM
Interesting, I do have a Tommaselli twistgrip on the way from Germany, not sure if it's that quick though? (are they all the same?), the reason I'm getting it is to fit a separate start/kill switchgear as the original is crap and one-piece with the throttle which doesn't lock well to the bars thus making the long pull even worse.

I guess I could probably devise a different cam or something over the winter if necessary...

pompone
27-10-2015, 08:28 PM
I've recently fitted a Domino to a LeMans 2 with a cable splitter. Worked a treat..

Dookbob
28-10-2015, 11:14 AM
I have considered this thing about removing the closing cable too , I can't really see the need for it when the return Spring closes the throttle too. I suggested this in a post some time ago, but didn't,t get the response I was hoping for, namely, that there is no safety aspect in having a closer cable, so I left it alone as per standard two cables. I still can't see the need for the closer though to be honest. Maybe someone could elaborate on the subject.

Dukedesmo
28-10-2015, 11:27 AM
I think the closer cable is a liability thing, probably originating from the USA where someone had the throttle jam open (or at least the possibility that it could).

I'm happy to go without, which is exactly what I've done...