PDA

View Full Version : Rear sprocket removal M796

jonzi
18-10-2015, 02:34 PM
Hello peeps

I have to get the rear sprocket off to change the disc.

When I try to undo the nut the rear wheel turns.

I have put it in gear and stuck a lump of wood between the spokes (which I wont be doing again) but the wheel still moves.

I can't hold the brake on as the caliper is off, and in bits. the seals were gone, the fluid boiled and the disc warped.

Any ideas how I can get the thing off?

slob
18-10-2015, 03:45 PM
... stuck a lump of wood between the spokes...

the factory method used to be a bar slotted into the paddock stand, with a handlebar grip to protect the spokes, mind you the spokes were considerably more substantial ten years ago

rollo22
18-10-2015, 04:04 PM
You need to use a Rattle gun

BigOz
18-10-2015, 04:20 PM
Impact wrench would be ideal if you can borrow/hire a cordless electric one.

Wood between the chain and sprocket.

jonzi
18-10-2015, 04:29 PM
Think I'll buy an impact wrench

Cheers all

BigOz
18-10-2015, 06:02 PM
Decent ones are quite pricey.

rollo22
18-10-2015, 06:18 PM
If it's only going to be used occasionally machine mart do a 1/2 decent electric one

holty
18-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Hi,
I watched the chaps at louigi Moto change the chain and sprockets on my 1100 single sider.
I can report that it is not as straightforward as you might think, and it is definitely not one for the home mechanic unless you have access to the correct tools. It was well worth the hour and a half labour and I know that the job has been done properly! They did replace the steel nuts for stainless at my request.

Greyman
18-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Machine Mart do a cheap 'disposable' one & according to the reviews it's not bad…
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cir13c-1-2in-impact-wrench-kit-12v

jonzi
18-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Hi,
I watched the chaps at louigi Moto change the chain and sprockets on my 1100 single sider.
I can report that it is not as straightforward as you might think, and it is definitely not one for the home mechanic unless you have access to the correct tools. It was well worth the hour and a half labour and I know that the job has been done properly! They did replace the steel nuts for stainless at my request.

The sprockets are fine. I am changing the disc. All within my capabilities. Just getting the nut off is annoying.

I have bought some 450nm electric impact gun thing from fleabay. I'm sure it'll do the trick.

If not, I can rebuild the caliper, refit and then go to Rosso to get the disc off. Rather not do that though as I have no time