PDA

View Full Version : Shiny Red 696

NJM
17-10-2015, 08:39 PM
Hi all
Purchased my 2011 696plus in June as the incentive to getting my bike licence! As a rather mature 49 year old beginner! Passed my full licence on 6th October, been out a few times now and loving it! Just ordered some carbon termis to pimp it up a bit. Just 1 question, I find the clutch "bite" way out at virtually the end of the travel, is this right or should I worry / investigate? Bike only has 2500 miles
Thanks

SunEye
17-10-2015, 10:06 PM
In my experience of an M1100 M1100evo and SF848 the clutch biting point has always been very early in the lever travel. Makes quick gear changes easy, but makes fine control for town riding hard.

NJM
18-10-2015, 06:36 AM
Thanks SunEye, ordered some Pazzo adjustable levers to see if that makes a difference.

SunEye
18-10-2015, 06:42 AM
A lot of aftermarket levers provide a better hand position than the stock levers. The span adjustment should help as well. The biting point will still be early in the lever movement, but you should be able to position the levers so that your hand can control the lever more easily.

MrsC_772
18-10-2015, 11:28 AM
My 696 was exactly the same with its first clutch - biting point right at the end of travel - I rapidly got used to it. I had the clutch replaced at around 47,000 miles and since then it has been more "normal" which annoys me because it no longer feels like my bike's clutch!

NJM
18-10-2015, 01:42 PM
Thanks MrsC 772 it's reassuring to know I don't have a problem, I guess I should get another 40k or so miles out of it before I need to worry! ��

Jonno
18-10-2015, 06:04 PM
I had a new clutch basket last year on my M1100 (after a lost less than 40K miles!!). This pushed the biting point out a lot further than I was used too and felt odd. I questioned this with the mechanic and he said the amount of movement is necesesary to pull the master cyclinder in. I know when I adjusted the lever closer to the grip it did not engage 1st or neutral. I assumed the new friction plates were that bit thicker. I have since fitted Oberon levers and the additional adjustment has made it easier. Although having small hands I do find it tiring on long runs - only in winter gloves though, summer gloves are fine?!

NJM
19-10-2015, 05:37 AM
Thanks Jonno, I adjusted the standard lever the other day and had exactly the same experience, odd but not a major issue for me as I have "big" hands, although I did have a moment due to the bite point being so far out, I nearly lost the lever under the ends of my fingers with thick gloves on, could have been quite entertaining!!