PDA

View Full Version : Side stand switch issue

Ron1000
15-10-2015, 01:39 PM
So the bike let me down on sunday, I was cruising along and the bike died on me. I pushed it a short distance to a layby.

After a wee bit of investigation I tracked the issue down to a faulty side stand switch. Which I would have found very difficult to fix if it weren't for a van to stop with tools to sort it.

So I took the switch off and rotated it to the up position and the bike would stay running when a gear was selected. However I don't know if the switch had came out of the locating hole or if it was a water ingress issue as about 2 tea spoons of water came out when I rotated it.

If it was a water issue why did it take nearly an hour of riding to show up. It was a dry day, the only thing I can think of was that I washed the bike then put it in the garage on the paddock stand with side stand up.

If it wasn't for that guy stopping I'd probably have had to get recovered. I'm quickly losing confidence in the bike and already looking to sell it on.

Very Very sad as I love the thing.

slob
15-10-2015, 06:13 PM
I've had a sidestand switch fault which caused a rather scary intermittent cutting out on the auotbahn. I bypassed it with half a paperclip and some tape. I suspect I caused the problem checking the sidestand pivot bolt and refitting the switch. I too love my bike but wouldn't think of selling it on having eliminated another potential issue.

utopia
15-10-2015, 07:51 PM
On my old style 750, I removed the sidestand switch and bypassed it as Slob describes.
I then taped up the remaining half of the 3-pole connector ....but this was a mistake, because....
The pvc sheathing on that section of the harness is open ...originally at both ends.
By taping up the lower end I had created a water trap and eventually the sheathing filled up with water.
Maybe you have a similar situation ....?

I could never sell mine.

Flip
15-10-2015, 08:01 PM
I guess a lot comes down to what kind of motorcyclist you are as to whether or not you are prepared/want to put up with things like this from time to time.

If you feel the bike is forever then you'll adapt to overcome the problems you will encounter over the years, but Ducatis can be a little more testing than some other makes which can prove too much for many people used to more 'just get on and ride 'em bikes'.

As Slob says- it's one less thing to trip up over in the future now you've got it sorted and if you love it then give it another chance.

But having said all that I do sometimes wonder what many of the latest bikes will be like to live with when they are pushing the age of my simple carb'd '97 900 without any electrickery controlling stand cut outs, ABS, gear position indicators and the like :mand:.

utopia
15-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Do you mean to say that your bike doesn't have a gear position indicator ???? :eek:
;)

Flip
15-10-2015, 08:41 PM
Do you mean to say that your bike doesn't have a gear position indicator ???? :eek:
;)

It doesn't even have a neutral light- got fed up with it years ago!

Drumnagorrach
16-10-2015, 07:14 PM
How is the stand switch wired ? Can it simply be disabled by connecting the wire ( I assume there are two )?
It's not really the end of the world if you ride off with the stand down ,unless you need to turn left immediately, then it can be embarrassing.

utopia
16-10-2015, 09:42 PM
I think that different monsters have different systems, but on my yr2000 750, the connector is 3-pole but only two of the wires actually connect to anything.
Just bridge those.
I used a piece of wire bent into the shape of a staple, but I think Slob may have used the genuine article.
A word of warning though ...it only happened the once but I did thumb the starter on one occasion while the bike was in gear.
It lurched forward, fell off the sidestand and into a nearby lamppost, putting a dent in my tank.
That's why my once orange monster is now blue ..though I much prefer it blue, so it turned out nice in the end.

I also had a simple mod fitted which involves a diode between the neutral switch and the sidestand relay (if memory serves ..I can check if you're interested) which makes it impossible to start with the sidestand down unless its in neutral ....though its disconnected at the moment while trying to locate an electrical issue elsewhere in the system.

Also, TPO used to sell a similar system ...its probably still available.
I went with the diode mod though cos its dirt cheap.

Darren69
17-10-2015, 04:44 AM
Here's the one TPO list for the 1100 '09

https://tpoparts.com/cat093/index.php?route=product/product&path=1_19&product_id=99

Not sure if that's the same for the Evo?

I have one on my S4 and it works great. You can run the bike with the stand down but you can't drive off it still cuts out, so I guess you still need the stand switch to work correctly.

If you are using a pressure washer to clean your bike, I wouldn't or you will get problems like this. I have had issues with other Ducatis in the past, neutral switch, stand switch etc not very water proof with a pressure washer. even my reg/rec had water inside it!

Ron1000
17-10-2015, 12:08 PM
How is the stand switch wired ? Can it simply be disabled by connecting the wire ( I assume there are two )?
It's not really the end of the world if you ride off with the stand down ,unless you need to turn left immediately, then it can be embarrassing.

Its a switch that rotates on the action of the side stand, I've not looked in detail at but it the contacts are in a plastic cover....possibly a moulded one. It would be very tricky to defeat.

I could easily bridge the wires further up stream in the cable but I'd rather not start striping my cables.

IMO its not a very good design a simple plunger switch is probably better.

Also is it an mot requirement that if you have a side stand switch it must work? Maybe I should just take a 8mm spanner everywhere with me....or at least for the next wee while until I have confidence in it again.

TBF my last bike didn't have side stand switch at all due to it's age and I never once left the side stand down.

slob
17-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Not an MOT requirement AFAIK. Older monsters have a 3 pin connector about 0.5m up the cable. Two pins are used, shorting them tells the bike the stand is up.

Ron1000
28-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Sorry for thread resurrection.

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

So after having previously thinking my side stand switch issue had been fixed. I decided to start the bike after a good three weeks since last time. As part of that I thought I'd stick it into gear just for curiosity.

And the switch failed again, no amount of movement from the side stand could make it switch properly and I had to remove it rotate it manually a couple times then refit, at that point it worked perfectly.

I have now decided the switch is bad cannot be trusted and it's time for removal. I've just done that today and waiting for the linkout connector coming from desmoworld.

Wondering if anyone has used that connector and general thoughts on removing the SSS From a safety point. It's not a big deal to me as my last bike didn't have an SSS. And IMO It's probably more risky with a switch that can't be trusted.

slob
28-12-2015, 03:22 PM
I got the other (switch) end of the connector (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMP-SUPER-SEAL-Terminal-connector-3-pole-Plug-Tipper-Provide-/321830114007?hash=item4aee91d2d7:m:mCJJ7dxEfH1UJ66 QPmZ1IWQ) and hard-wired it in the stand up position, then wrapped in self amalgamating tape to waterproof, as a trackday 'tool', so I can remove the stand completely for a little extra ground clearance without fear of it cutting out on me due to vibration etc. The one on my roadbike is permanently disconnected too now, it's still got the clutch switch so won't start in gear without me pulling the lever in.

DrD
28-12-2015, 03:29 PM
I am tending tio remove these "safety devices" from my bikes when and as they fail.
My '93 M900 has a refitted SSS just lights up a LED and has no other function.
Just come back from a little ride around on the 1980 Le Mans
- no such devices - I simply get in the mind set of the starting and riding procedure for it.
Mind that gets put on the centre stand as the side stand is something that you would not trust.

Ron1000
28-12-2015, 04:50 PM
Slob, didn't know I could buy it like that. If my order hasn't been accepted I might cancel a buy those instead

fastnfat
28-12-2015, 09:21 PM
Ron,
I recently had a sidestand switch fail. It failed where the cable goes into the switch ( the molded end of the cable contains a flimsy piece of circuit board) and isn't repairable). What I did as a temporary measure was to disconnect it at the plug end and short the connector out with a paper clip. I have replaced the switch now though. Funny thing is there is a new part number so perhaps the switch has been upgraded or something!

Ron1000
28-12-2015, 09:55 PM
Fastnfat,
Yes I've seen that method used before. It's not really a big rush atm as it's off the road until march now. However Im intending on removing ut permanently so a better solution is needed.

You can buy the correct housing with the shorting link done in a way that makes it permanent and reliable.

Ron1000
29-12-2015, 10:55 AM
SSS completely removed now, the bike will start but will cut out if a gear is selected regardless of what position the side stand is in. So that's a good starting point.

I've meter the switch and it seems to be behaving normally, there is however a very fine line between off and on when the switch is fully rotated to the side stand 'up' position.

Anyway it's off and staying off I'll await my link out connector / plug, fit and forget.

I suspect that the issue is bad contact in the switch itself and I believe it's been caused by water being forced into it by the dealer pressure washing it. No way to prove it so hey ho, I'll need to tell them not to PW my bike in future.

slob
29-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Slob, didn't know I could buy it like that. If my order hasn't been accepted I might cancel a buy those instead

...as long as your evo has the same connector as my 1000

Ron1000
29-12-2015, 02:11 PM
...as long as your evo has the same connector as my 1000

Lol. it looks identical