PDA

View Full Version : Wife's 1996 600 monster piston

grinford
13-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Hi all, need a horizontal piston kit as she has the dreaded piston slap rattle, I've been told that I can fit a post 1998 piston which are apparently better than earlier Pistons, is there any truth in this and can anyone tell me where we can acquire one from as we are not having much luck, would appreciate your thoughts guys, grinford

Kato
13-10-2015, 12:17 PM
The "early" pre 98? 600’s, had forged pistons that make the horrible slappy noise when cold, not that it gets much better when they warm up. Sounds like the insides are trying to get out, most will tell you "they’re all like that". If you pull it apart, chances are there will be not a lot wrong with it, Just very short pistons, the issue can be almost cured by replacing the piston on that cylinder with the cast piston from a later model ( which supersede from the early ones anyway ) pistons are not different front / rear, either will fit into either barrel

So you could swap front to rear but you'll prob need a set of rings and after a few miles it will be noisy again

Pistons still available from Ducati Part No 120.2.042.4A but not cheap £248 each

Yorkie
13-10-2015, 02:07 PM
At that price you could get a later complete engine!

Yorkie

Zimbo
14-10-2015, 06:57 AM
The earlier engine always slaps when it's cold, never worried about it. It actually makes more power than the later engine.
Raced 600 bikes in Desmodue for years that slapped from cold and were absolutely fine.
Unless it's VERY loud I'd treat it as a "feature" of the earlier engine indent worry about it - a bit like clutch rattle on the dry clutch bikes, sound dreadful mechanically but are absolutely fine!

Darren69
14-10-2015, 08:18 AM
The Italians call it character! :)

Dennis menace
14-10-2015, 09:29 AM
I ran a 1993 Monster 600 until earlier this year and the 'slap' was very noisy but, the compression was fine and the 'slap' is just a feature. More important to get the valve clearance checked and if necessary adjusted with shims regularly. It made a hell of a difference to the power on my bike.

Dookbob
14-10-2015, 09:31 AM
I have had quite a few M600 models and also quite a few 600ss models, maybe it,s just a coincidence but I never had this piston slap on any of the M600, but every one of the 600ss had it, at quite low mileages too. I solved the problem very cheaply as it happened, I just switched my hearing aid off.

Darren69
14-10-2015, 09:39 AM
or fit some Termis to drown it out! :)

grinford
04-11-2015, 08:14 AM
Just an update, piston has now been replaced and the rattle on the horizontal cylinder has now completely gone, what a lovely sound and don't miss the noise like someone tapping a bloody anvil with a hammer at all, thank you all for you're original replies they were much appreciated, grinford

popelli
04-11-2015, 07:58 PM
forged pistons are the hot set up for performance engines

far stronger than cast - on a 600 its possibly not an issue