PDA

View Full Version : Newbie can someone help please.

Rmstu
01-10-2015, 09:47 PM
I've just bought a Ducati 796 after recently passing my test, I've had it two days I took it out last night which I loved taking it very evening, however I've gone tonight to take it out and it will not start sounds like it's priming but nothing, all lights and dash is working, the battery reads 11.7 and I was told it had a new battery fitted before I took delivery. Surely the battery must last more than a day before going flat, it does have a datatool alarm on and I don't use the kill switch. I'm a but gutted and hope this isn't the start of many problems.
Bike is 2010 abs fsh and only 1800 it is immaculate but won't run. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thxs stu

Albie
01-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Alarm it probably is then. Draining your battery. I bet if you recharge it will start. Problem is whether you have access leads to the badly hidden battery on the plastic panel monsters.

slob
01-10-2015, 10:41 PM
Sounds most likely...
I'm not very familiar with Mk2 Monsters' dash but 11.x sounds low, I'd expect it to be in the 12s, a perfect battery should show 13.2V on a multimeter
You hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition on? eliminate all the other safety switches.
Make sure the kill switch is on 'run', sidestand up, clutch in, neutral selected.
Do the lights dim, when you hit the starter and can hear hear the starter relay (solenoid) clicking?

Dirty
02-10-2015, 05:41 AM
Agree sounds like something is draining the battery. Alarm or a dodgy connection somewhere. A good question might be 'why did it need a new battery in the first place?'.

chris.p
02-10-2015, 05:45 AM
Do you get a "clicking" when you hit the starter button or does it try and turn the engine over over??

don_matese
02-10-2015, 06:11 AM
Another thing to check is that you didnt accidentally activate the parking lights when you took the key out. I did that a few times on my older monster. Normally from the off position you just need to press the key in and twist anticlockwise, however its easy to accidentally do from the on position by turning and giving it a light push.

Rmstu
02-10-2015, 06:25 AM
Thanks guys for the input, much appreciated, I'm going to find the charge lead today, would this be seen on the side of the bike or under the seat? And if it is the alarm am I best taking it off ? Datatool one. Sorry for the questions. I'll eliminate or switches and try it withstand up and in gear clutch in.
Thanks again.
Stu

Rmstu
02-10-2015, 06:27 AM
Just read through again il check the parking lights weren't on ��

jonzi
02-10-2015, 07:10 AM
That voltage is way too low to start it.

If my battery is low then I turn the electrics on and then wait for the lights to turn themselves off, takes a minute or so.

That usually brings the voltage up to just enough to start.

J.P
02-10-2015, 07:25 AM
You need a good 30 minutes to access the battery.
Really best to get yourself a charger, with leads you can permanantley connect to the battery to avoid all the following in the future.

Battery access:
You have to remove the tank panels and key guard.
Remove the two bolts either side (down by your knees) and then the one bolt under the seat in the flat bit of the fuel tank.
Then you have to pop that flat bit of tank out of its recess
Then disconnect the fuel breather pipe at the top
Then wiggle the tank forward out of the bolt holes down the side.
Once out, turn the tank 90 degrees and carefully rest it on the seat base, DON'T let it slip.
Then you can get to the battery to recharge/connect new cables

Then reverse to put it back together.

slob
02-10-2015, 08:13 AM
and careful not to lose the little cup washers that live under the bolts that hold the tank centre panel in place

Rmstu
02-10-2015, 09:27 AM
Thanks for that, great help I believe it's a optimate charger I need, Ducati have quoted me to fit the lead and supply charger. Seems like a ok price. They also advised me that a data tool alarm will drain the battery over the space of a couple of days.

J.P
02-10-2015, 09:44 AM
It's easy enough to do it yourself, the alarm might go off when you disconnect the battery cables initially, so have a rage to cover it a bit. You only need a set of allen keys (two No.5 keys I think got the under seat tank bolt, and a small 8mm or 10 mm spanner for the bolts at the side of the tank.
Just take it easy with the tank cover screws as they tend to be soft

Rmstu
02-10-2015, 07:03 PM
Well it started today at 11.00 on battery monitor, went out for 30 mins and readings went up to 13.6 whilst riding come home turned it if and turned it back on to check battery level straight down to 11. I'm so confused gotta be dodgy battery.

AndyC_772
02-10-2015, 07:49 PM
They also advised me that a data tool alarm will drain the battery over the space of a couple of days.

That's total crap, no way an alarm should drain the battery that quickly.

If a bike battery is rated at, say, 10Ah, then to drain it in two days means drawing over 200mA, and that's about 100x as much as an alarm should require. I generally aim for <0.5mA when I design any accessory that's intended to be left attached all the time.

Getting at the battery on these bikes is a PITA, and if it's still on the original battery, it might not do any harm to replace it anyway when you've got the tank off. Do fit a charging cable, and if you're thinking of fitting any other accessories (sat nav, heated grips etc), it wouldn't be a bad idea to do them all at the same time.

Do you have a multimeter? If so, put it in DC current mode (10A range), disconnect one of the battery terminals (negative is safest), and put the meter in series between the battery terminal and the lead you've just detached. After a few seconds, the reading should settle and will show you what the bike is drawing when it's switched off. Don't try to start the engine or you'll blow a fuse in the meter.

If the meter has a lower current range available (eg. a 400mA setting), then by all means try it to get a more accurate reading - just be aware of the possibility of blowing the meter's fuse, as a lot of the bike's equipment draws more current than the fuse's rating. Keep the ignition switched off when the meter is on a low range.

Rmstu
02-10-2015, 08:07 PM
Thanks Andy, if I can't get to the bottom it the place have agreed to pick it and get to the bottom of it, it's driving me nuts. Thanks again for all the input been very helpful especially to a clueless newbie.

Darren69
02-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Battery is my guess too. 11.5 seems very low, if you drop 3v through starting, lights etc then >9v won't fire up the ecu so you've no chance of it starting. Even at 12v its borderline, you really do need a good battery and keep it charged on any Ducati really.

Rocker66
03-10-2015, 07:04 PM
Mate if you bought the bike from a shop call them its their problem! take it back or get them to pick it up and sort it out:thumbsup: