PDA

View Full Version : Cracked front fender

justin796
27-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Hi,

I was cleaning my Monster 796 this morning & noticed my front fender was cracked across the bottom mounting lug where the bottom bolt holds the fender to the forks. Upon further inspection, it's cracked on both sides! I've never knocked or tampered with it so is this a common problem & should I contact my dealer, even though it's out of warranty? This just shouldn't happen & I can imagine a new fender is a costly affair!
Failing any joy from the dealer, any tips on what glue could repair it?

Cheers,

Justin

Albie
27-09-2015, 08:24 PM
They are flimsy as hell tbh. I had a 1100s so it was carbon fibre. Even that rattled around. I doubt Ducati will warrant it but you could ask. Repair wise I have been having to repair plastics occasionally on my bikes and I use a soldering iron to melt the crack together and fill and then touch up. Possibly better off getting an after market or an ebay decent one.

justin796
27-09-2015, 09:16 PM
Cheers Albie,

I did consider a carbon replacement but I do like the red. A carbon fender sprayed red could be the answer. The plastic one is such a flimsy design. Just wished Ducati had beefed it up a bit around the mounting lugs as there isn't much plastic surrounding the lower mounting lugs, hence the cracks.

Thanks for the advice. It still feels firmly mounted but it could be a little winter project to repair or replace.

Cheers,

Justin

Albie
27-09-2015, 09:32 PM
What you need to do is reinforce with a view of keeping it and making sure it not only still looks good and that it still good. Some simple cut to shape aluminium plates bonded over the faces of the areas of bolting and then say either brushed finish or carbon wrap or painted. Any pics of said damage as I know of others having damaged theirs. You only need thin stuff that's pliable. My scrambler one looks fairly flimsy too and that's meant to be semi off road tough lol.

justin796
29-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Thanks again Albie.
I think I need to remove the mudguard & take a better look to see if it's gone anywhere else. I contacted my dealer but they pretty much didn't want to know! They were all too keen to sell me a new one though at £140!
I'm just pee'd off as it shouldn't have happened. Like I said, I've never knocked it or tampered with it. I just cannot understand why the lugs have both cracked. The dealer hadn't heard of it before & I'm concerned if I get another it will do the same in time. Maybe carbon is the way forward.

Thanks again,

Justin