PDA

View Full Version : VW emissions scandal

dam
24-09-2015, 09:49 AM
Do you think this could effect Ducati? VW look like they will get hammered, will they sell Ducati and Audi?

pompone
24-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Nope, the revenue far outstrip the fine, which isn't likely to be the figures going around at the moment. The biggest fallout might be them pulling out of the F1 project.

SunEye
24-09-2015, 11:00 AM
Nope, the revenue far outstrip the fine, which isn't likely to be the figures going around at the moment. The biggest fallout might be them pulling out of the F1 project.
Totally agree that VW will not sell Ducati, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Bently or Porsche as a result of this incident.

As far as pulling out of the proposed F1 project I doubt it. It seems to be part of a long term strategy that started in 2012 when they announced that Porsche would enter the World Endurance Championship. The idea being to beat Audi thereby allowing Porsche to take over the endurance racing mantle for VW thus enabling Audi to bow out and take the circa $150m they are spending to F1. So far everything is going to plan. Porsche won Le Mans and are leading the World Endurance Championship, so Audi could quit at any time in the future and move to F1.

Red Bull currently have an F1 team budget of $468.7m made up of $266m from sponsors, $35.7m from partners and $167m from TV/F1 Management. Audi could bring $150m to that which would more than cover Red Bull's loss by moving from Renault engines. From a marketing perspective it's a no brainier for Audi. They get to spend the same as they did in World Endurance, but are now in F1 with a massively greater worldwide exposure for their brand. I can't see them dropping that plan because VW Group need some money.

Kato
24-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Personally I'd like to see them go bust and all VW's crumble into dust....but that ain't going to happen either

SunEye
24-09-2015, 11:49 AM
Personally I'd like to see them go bust and all VW's crumble into dust....but that ain't going to happen either
My 10 year old VW is starting to crumble into dust, so at least in part your dream is becoming reality ;)

Funkatronic
24-09-2015, 11:49 AM
lets just hope they don't find any special maps in the ducati ECUS that aren't supposed to be there!

Kato
24-09-2015, 11:52 AM
lets just hope they don't find any special maps in the ducati ECUS that aren't supposed to be there!

You leave my ECU out of this:eyepopping::biggrin:

Darren69
24-09-2015, 01:03 PM
They'll probably have to double the price of Ducati spares, oh hang didn't they do that already?

alan s4
24-09-2015, 01:06 PM
My new Audi A6 Ultra gets through the emissions test with Urea (synthetic **** - I kid you not)........the **** tank holds 17 litres of the stuff. It gets injected into the Catalytic converter.

Funnily enough the good people at Audi fail to tell you this when you but the car, it's only when the little dash warning light comes on that you realise something is wrong.

Audi wanted £80.00 for a top up! Managed it myself for far less - didn't need to resort to peeing in the tank!

Edit - didn't realise p--s was a banned word!

don_matese
24-09-2015, 01:34 PM
You can buy AdBlue at tesco these days, I think it comes in 10litre bottles though... so thats a lot of wee...http://www.tesco.com/direct/carlube-adblue-10l/618-1587.prd

SunEye
24-09-2015, 02:51 PM
My new Audi A6 Ultra gets through the emissions test with Urea (synthetic **** - I kid you not)........the **** tank holds 17 litres of the stuff. It gets injected into the Catalytic converter.

Funnily enough the good people at Audi fail to tell you this when you but the car, it's only when the little dash warning light comes on that you realise something is wrong.

Audi wanted £80.00 for a top up! Managed it myself for far less - didn't need to resort to peeing in the tank!

Edit - didn't realise p--s was a banned word!
The issue in the USA was the Nitrous Oxide levels. All manufacturers meet the regs by injecting urea into the exhaust except VW who weren't doing this, but still met the emissions regs. Eventually someone worked out how they were doing that.

Dirty
25-09-2015, 11:35 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if it did affect the proposed (and so far officially denied) F1 project. It has made commercial sense for years for VW to get involved but they didn't as the old boss hates Bernie E and felt that F1 was a tarnished brand (Bahrain/Russia/spygate/Bernie Bribes). The new boss was more of a fan but he just fell on his sword and priority #1 for VW now is rebuild the trust. If there is still a culture of 'F1 is dirty' at VW then I'm not sure they'll be chomping at the bit to sign up anymore. That said winning F1 would be one way of deflecting some of the neg publicity. Interesting times.

I wonder if 'this is the man' that thought adding emission testing routines to ECUs was a good idea? :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KgHlAdSpn7Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

buzzbomb
25-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Nice one Damion:hail: